Leg cut back after mill circle..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like a few of you are being a little harsh on me, the mom...I really was hoping for some suggestions, like.. is she leaning to far forward or to far back, or moving her hand to fast or to slow........ honestly, what parent doesn't want their child to win. There is nothing wrong with that. Isn't that why they compete? My daughter loves gymnastics and does have fun and also has a mind of her own. I just like to give her suggestions that might help her.

1. no, they're not. hang around awhile and you'll learn that.
2. not on that skill with the age of your daughter.
3. in gymnastics? none that i know. they just want them safe and happy at 5 till about 12. think you can last that long?
4. yes, there is.
5. no, that's not why they compete.
6. you're not a coach. and probably not a former gymnast either or you wouldn't be asking...

welcome to the Chalkbucket. hang around. read and learn.:)

She is preteam, without a coach until she moves up a level. And I cant wait, I'm tired of trying to come up with answers.The girl training her right now was someone who just walked in off the street for a job. She is still learning herself. My daughter come to me wanting help. I told my daughter to ask the girl over the class what she's doing wrong...she said they just tell her to go over to the other bar and keep trying and she continues to make the same mistake.

thought the girl helping is new, hopefully they are training her ( otherwise my advice is to run the other way) and maybe isn't sure what she is doing wrong. that said much of gymnastics is to just keep trying. over & over & over.

I understand she wants to learn the skill & that you want to help. what I would suggest is giving it some time. I get that it is meet season & you want her to do well. take it from a mom whose dd did L3 twice, yup repeated L3, she will get it. she is young & there are multiple things involved with the skill. she might just not be strong eniugh yet to do the skill. she might not be doing anything 'wrong' she might be doing it right but just not physically strong enough to do the trick yet.

nothing wrong with wanting to help but in gymnastics it is best to leave it to the gym, that is what you are paying them for and it takes so much longer to re-teach a skill learned wrong.

If you are finding the coaching unsatisfactory then you need to go to the head coach or the owner and let them know. YOu pay for your child to be coached in a safe environment and that should be what you get.

I always forget that in the USA there are no qualifications needed to coach.

BUt I will reiterate, coaching at home on a skill like this is a bad plan.

Leg cuts on a pommel horse. Done with a little stride swing is ok.

She is preteam, without a coach until she moves up a level. And I cant wait, I'm tired of trying to come up with answers.The girl training her right now was someone who just walked in off the street for a job. She is still learning herself. My daughter come to me wanting help. I told my daughter to ask the girl over the class what she's doing wrong...she said they just tell her to go over to the other bar and keep trying and she continues to make the same mistake.

I'm a bit confused-she's competing L3 but she's still considered to be preteam? At DD's gym, if you're on pre team there's no competing. They then start on team at level 4.

No advice to help but thought I would add my experience. For my DD who is L4 (did not compete or train L3), the leg cut back was the LAST skill she mastered in the whole L4 bar routine. In fact she just did it for the first time at a meet today. So, I guess it is a skill that can trip some gymmies up. There is always something that they struggle with in every level, and for my girls sometimes they seem to decide to struggle on different things on different days.

At our gym they compete at levels 1, 2 and 3 before moving to the team.....
I'm a bit confused-she's competing L3 but she's still considered to be preteam? At DD's gym, if you're on pre team there's no competing. They then start on team at level 4.

No advice to help but thought I would add my experience. For my DD who is L4 (did not compete or train L3), the leg cut back was the LAST skill she mastered in the whole L4 bar routine. In fact she just did it for the first time at a meet today. So, I guess it is a skill that can trip some gymmies up. There is always something that they struggle with in every level, and for my girls sometimes they seem to decide to struggle on different things on different days.

I would like to add, as the parent of a 7th year level 10 gymnast headed to college on a gymnastics scholarship next year, my daughter NEVER mastered the mill circle or leg cut back as a level 4 (or 5, 6, or 7 when she was trying them goofing around in the gym) and it did not hinder her career. She finally came out of gym one day (when she was Level 9 ) and said to me "hey guess what, I can finally do a mill circle" and we both burst out laughing in the car. My point is not to worry about this (or anything else you may be tempted to fixate on) especially in the compulsory levels. My daughter was a terrible compulsory gymnast (barely ever got 32s for AA) and she's done quite fine as an optional gymnast...so sit tight Tennesseesunshine, you're in for a long ride.

I also agree about not worrying too much about it and letting the coach work with her. However, I did ask my DD who competed level 3 last year. She said that she needs to keep the arm that is still on the bar really strong. Not sure if that helps as it is pretty basic, but perhaps it is an arm strength issue.

Could very well be her arm strength....I would say she makes it about 2 out of 10 tries... thanks
I also agree about not worrying too much about it and letting the coach work with her. However, I did ask my DD who competed level 3 last year. She said that she needs to keep the arm that is still on the bar really strong. Not sure if that helps as it is pretty basic, but perhaps it is an arm strength issue.

Don't stress out too much. After all she will be judged as a 5 year old against other 5 year olds. I would venture to guess that most 5 year olds struggle with the same thing your DD is struggling with!! I may come or it may never come. Who really cares in the big picture.

By the time she is 7 and a level 5 you will be wondering why you worried so much about that skill (you will never see it again !)Just wait. There will be many many more important skills in her future that you will never be able to assist her on.

Good luck to your DD at her meet and most importantly mom needs to have fun to and just enjoy watching your DD (even if she places last).

At our gym they compete at levels 1, 2 and 3 before moving to the team.....

Thanks for clarifying! The mill circle was a pain for DD to get consistently last season-not so much the leg cut back but the actual turn. That will be a move I won't miss seeing anymore, LOL! I was surprised to hear that they don't have at least one team coach involved in pre-team training. DD's gym has a team coach that works with the pre team- I know her HC would not want someone with no gym experience training the pre team girls because she would have to spend time too much time fixing the things that weren't taught correctly once they moved to team. Good luck to your daughter! Hope you'll share how the first meet goes.

It's hard not to get caught up in the emotion of what your DD is struggling with. My DD is having trouble with "7's" on her multiplication tables. I realize she will be doing college-level calculus someday, but that doesn't minimize the frustration she is feeling now. Good luck!

Leg cut on bars is just a progression to remind lower level coaches to make sure the kids have good upper body and core strength. The skill itself leads to nothing I can think of that is of any use. Pommel horse as mentioned in an earlier post as well as beam can be used to help strengthen the muscles needed to do the skill. It's not a skill I would spend too much time worrying about.

hurrah! now let's hope we don't hear that she's 6 and can't get her susiekip...:)

Whatever that is...I'm sure I'll be able to look for some suggestions from you dunno Ha! Ha!
hurrah! now let's hope we don't hear that she's 6 and can't get her susiekip...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back