Parents leotards for tiny kids?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The levels were changed, so that's what I meant by new 3. New 3 is equivalent to level 4 last year and the past several years. Sorry to say, but your 20-pound 3 year old should not be attempting back handsprings, by herself or otherwise!!!! :eek: Yikes!!!

If you stick around chalkbucket, you will learn that it is developmentally unsafe for kids to be doing bridges and/or back handsprings till at least 5 years old.

Where's Dunno with a giant YIKES when you need one........

We've already switched gyms a couple times before we found one that made both mommy and princess happy. We're driving an hour and 45 minutes because it's the closest gym to us since we moved so I'm not really willing to switch again unless something more disastrous happens. I also have a 4 year old and a 20 month old that I have to take with me. I'll talk to them after her next practice but I'm not overly concerned about it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention though. I appreciate it!

Double YIKES

Definitely going to agree with you, wallflower and mouey! This story is crazy, any way you look at it.

Switching gym's several times already and driving that far at age 3, YIKES!

At 3, kids should be having fun doing preschool classes. Maybe a developmental class for a really focused child, one that is fun and focuses on strength and former, good basics, not skills. They shouldn't be practicing with a level 3 USAG team.

To the OP, your daughter is 3. She should be doing age appropriate skills with kids her age. If she continues on this path, she will likely end up broken or will be burned out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My 3 year old is also very tiny. I find that girth is the most important measurement. Hers is 35 inches so I find the Snowflake CXS works well for her.

When my older one was that size, I had some made by a seller on etsy for about $15 a pop + shipping. It's good to get 2 kids' use out of one leo!

We live in a small town where EVERYTHING is at least an hour away. We don't have much choice with driving distance... This is the closest gym to us.

I don't give a crap about gymnastic. My daughter is happy. She loves what she's doing and that's really all I care about. I would never push her in fact I've been waiting for ages for her to say she was done so we can move on to something else. She got invited to join this class. I was told it was level 3. From the sound of it, it appears that is rather advanced for her age. Again I have no clue how these levels work but she does well and keeps up with everyone else. She's a level 3 at her swimming lessons so to me it made perfect sense. Whether its old or new level I don't know but the last thing I wanted was to be torn apart on here. I'm just trying to do my best for my kids like we all are.

I don't give a crap about gymnastic. My daughter is happy. She loves what she's doing and that's really all I care about. I would never push her in fact I've been waiting for ages for her to say she was done so we can move on to something else. She got invited to join this class. I was told it was level 3. From the sound of it, it appears that is rather advanced for her age. Again I have no clue how these levels work but she does well and keeps up with everyone else. She's a level 3 at her swimming lessons so to me it made perfect sense. Whether its old or new level I don't know but the last thing I wanted was to be torn apart on here. I'm just trying to do my best for my kids like we all are.

I don't think anyone is trying to "tear you apart" on here. I see it coming from a place of concern for your daughter's future health. Many here have either coached for years or had kids who have competed for a number of years. They have seen a lot and I think many here are trying to share their expertise. I know that my daughter started pre-team training 2 times a week when she was 4 1/2 but was not allowed to start back handsprings until she turned 6. You describe your daughter's class as a class instead of practice, which leads me to believe that she is in a rec class. Would that be correct? That would make more sense to everyone here. Level 3 for most on here refers to the USAG competitive track and kids are allowed to begin competing at age 6.

No one is tearing you apart...parts of your situation sound very "off" though. Whether or not your daughter is in level 3 - which she would need to be 6 to compete - doesn't really matter. The point is, it's not just about whether your daughter is happy. It's about whether she's SAFE. A gym that has her working back handsprings is not using safe practices. And whether or not you have to drive far for everything,driving an hour and 45 minutes for gymnastics at that age is insane. I would be finding her a new activity.

I'm sorry you feel torn into. As you have freely admitted you "don't have a clue". There are lots of people on here with decades of gymnastics experience and they are actually Looking out for you and your daughter. We all know how the bouncy ones can tear up the furniture, however please read the link posted above as it really is VERY dangerous for children to do certain gymnastic skills before certain ages. If she is naturally talented, as it sounds like she is, then she will do Well when its age appropriate.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

All of this seems very implausible and sounds suspiciously similar to a thread I recently saw on another message board. Just an observation.

The point is, it's not just about whether your daughter is happy. It's about whether she's SAFE.

Absolutely. When my dd was 3 what made her happy was throwing herself off the highest piece of furniture she could find and being pushed as fast as possible in a kids pushchair down a bumpy lane by obliging neighbourhood children.

It is great that you have come to look for information and advice here. You will get lots of it. Some of it you won't want to hear but at least consider it. There are so many people here who have been through it all and seen it all. Please do stick around and become part of it.

Maybe dunno doesn't bother with threads about leotards for little kids..

I'm glad for this information personally. I know they are good about not letting preschoolers bridge at my gym because my daughter's coach has actually warned me that she was going to try it (she was right, though at the time I had no idea what she was talking about) and that I should do everything to discourage it. I like having all the information from a variety of sources, makes it harder for me to forget/ignore.

Absolutely. When my dd was 3 what made her happy was throwing herself off the highest piece of furniture she could find and being pushed as fast as possible in a kids pushchair down a bumpy lane by obliging neighbourhood children.

This sounds like my 2 1/2 year old. Before she was walking my husband did not understand why people say you are supposed to anchor your bookcases. My older DD never tried climbing on them (though she likes to climb trees). HA! This little one, she will climb on anything that appears climbable, and jump down if she can't climb down. I just hope she manages to make it to be old enough to learn bridges and handsprings.

I would stick with what you are doing - leos that are a little big with shorts. This will get the most bang for your buck because she will eventually grow into her leotards. Gymcritter is a good option.

OP no one is tearing into you. People are trying to give you scientific advice on what is safe for a 3 year old to be doing in a gym.
I know you just want your "princess" "to be happy" but unfortunately daily in parenting we have to make decisions that may not make our children happier but make them safer or healthier or better.

Whilst it may not be a USAG level 3 class (which if it is, is just horrifying) you have said they are working your 3 year old back handspring progressions. That is not safe and I would be doubting the coaching ability at the gym.

You said you had moved her gyms already? But then said this gym, despite being so far away, is the only one you can go to?
Are there not closer activities you can do if you don't have a safe nearby gym?
If she wants to be a gymnast at 5/6/7 then maybe look again?

At 3 she should be in a mummy and me class, having fun, learning how to do handstands, cartwheels, forward and backward rolls. Properly! Maybe closer to 4 in a pre development class, working on strength and conditioning (chin ups/sit ups/push ups - not handsprings), whilst some of the gymnastics skills are cool to watch and make parents think their child is progressing it is the core strength, conditioning, flexibility and form exercises that make a good gymnast in the future not being the youngest able to throw a handspring!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back