Coaches Lesson Plans & Circuits for Class Management

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

RecAcro4Fun

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Reaction score
Hello!

I am not a formally trained coach by any means. I just started teaching a 60 minute recreational acro class once a week at my local studio. I have about 20 kids ages 6-12 who have widely varying skills. Some are still working on forward rolls and some are beginning to work on walkovers or BHS. We only do floor and trampoline, we don't have bars or vaults in our studio, it's all very basic.. I'm looking for advice on lesson planning.

I'm having a really hard time with class management. Some of the younger kids will tell me gymnastics is stupid and they don't want to be in class. I'm used to older kids who enjoy the class and truly want to learn, so Idk how to deal with that kind of attitude. I have kids rolling themselves up into mats, climbing anything they can reach, running around wildly, at any given moment. Everyone says to keep them busy, but it doesn't work that way. If I take the time to correct anything or work with a student for even a moment, all control is lost. They cannot handle standing in line for more than a few moments.

We've had about 4 classes so far and I still haven't figured out a lesson plan that works. I have two teenage helpers, but it's up to me to plan our classes of course. Circuits have been suggested, but I have to admit I don't really know what that means or how I can implement that in a class with kids at all different levels. After last week's class, I decided to make permanent "groups" within the class of beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Is this a good idea? I have several drills/progressions for all levels that I would love to do in class, but somehow every week turns into a free-for-all and you can't tell that I spent about 5 hours planning our class at all. I'm starting to feel defeated, but I'm still committed to doing a good job and helping all my kids improve this year. Any advice or suggestions for ciruits and/or lesson plans are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, a struggling beginner coach

I don't think the solution to this is a specific lesson plan, I think the solution is making kids sit out for misbehavior. If they can get away with misbehavior, they will -- if they can't, they won't. Sitting kids out is usually the best consequence; if they want to benefit from access to the equipment and your expertise, they have to behave themselves in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back