Parents Level 5 to 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
My DD currently competes as a level 4 and will be moved to level 5 after this season is completed. The coach wants her to compete in two meets at level 5 next year and then go directly into level 6. The coach said she will learn both level 5 compulsory routines and level 6 optional routines over the summer. Is this realistic? Is this pushing her too fast? I would rather see mastery at one level before moving up. Is this a common practice elsewhere?

I think it is realistic assuming the coach is looking for similar skills in 6 as are competed in 5. Our gym does not - level 6 is treated more like mini 7, needing a giant, BHS on beam, layout and FHS-FT/pike on floor.

That being said, my DD learned her optional floor routine while still competing level 5. Last year she did a few meets at old 6, while still techically a level 5, and learned that routine in one practice. So, very doable as far as choreography goes.

You should probably find out more about the skill differences, but still doable if she has been uptraining.

Very doable. In 2012/13, I know a girl who competed Old L6 Compulsory routine and competed Middle School gymnastics at the same time (Optional Routines with similar requirements to New L6, but with acro and jump series on beam required). She was able to learn and remember both and score well in both (but better in the Optional routines- like frequent 9.7-9.85 on floor and close to that on bars and beam).

Also, USAG says that L5 and L6 are designed so they can both be competed at the same time, alternately, so they are positive it can be done too :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back