WAG level 6 bars dismount question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
so i don't know if my dd has had a growth spurt or what but she is having issues with landing her bars dismount/flyaway. when she first learned this past summer she was doing a tuck flyaway but her coach wanted them to do layout flyaways and she finally got it but had issues with landing it vs. landing the tuck version.

she has had an issue since day 1 of letting go too early which doesn't give her enough time to rotate and hit the landing. i'm wondering if she did a tuck flyaway if that would help? about 1/2 the girls on her team do tuck and 1/2 the layout. to me, if she's going to be learning the double back, getting the tuck down would be more helpful vs. doing the layout. but, i'm just a mom and that is just my non educated opinion. lol

curious what other level 6 and 7's do. maybe a coach's perspective on one version vs. another.

My dd does an underswing for right now as do a couple of her teammates due to some lingering flyaway fears. The rest do tuck flyaways. We've seen about half tuck and half layout flyaways in L6 at competitins with a few piked flyaways here and there as well.

They are probably pushing for the layout flyaway bc that's what you generally see in L7 and L8. But if your dd is having trouble landing them then the tuck flyaway will work better. Once she gets the release timing down the layout flyaway will be easier to land.

From what D's coach has said, the layout does lead to the doubleback as it teaches them when to let go and how to go higher. At his gym, no db until your layout is great.

She will get it. D never did a tuck flyaway...ever. He went straight to layouts.

Once she gets the timing down, the layout will be there. For now, hopefully, the coaches are guiding her in the right direction.

From what D's coach has said, the layout does lead to the doubleback as it teaches them when to let go and how to go higher. At his gym, no db until your layout is great.

ah - ok. so that's why she was pushed into the layout almost immediately. i didn't understand that at all because she was having no issues with the tuck and struggled a bit on the layout.

she can land it. and has in competitions. she just mentioned to me that last week she was all of a sudden falling on them consistently. that's why i suspect a growth spurt. this wkend, at her meet, at warm up she fell once and landed once. at the meet, she fell but still got a 9. if she hadn't fallen, she'd have tied for 1st place (still placed 4th). we have another meet this wekend and she'll be out for "revenge" as she calls it. which means that she will be super focused on landing her dismount all week. thankfully she has 4 practices, including tonight, to figure things out.

She needs to try to keep her toes up and her chin to her chest. Then once she sees her toes that is when she needs to let go and rotate. I am a level 7 gymnast and I have competed a layout flyaway since level 6. I personally think they are easier once you get the timing.

I have early release issues sometimes but doing a nice strong cast and pushing out into a big tap and spotting my toes into the flyaway helps me get a lot of height.

I have early release issues sometimes but doing a nice strong cast and pushing out into a big tap and spotting my toes into the flyaway helps me get a lot of height.

she does cast handstand to flyaway and she's flying. seriously, she's going super fast it's unnerving to watch. i'm ready for her to get her giant flyaway b/c i think it might slow her down a bit and let her have more control on her flyaway. she did say that last night she landed more than she fell and she stuck most of the ones she landed. i could tell she was feeling better about it last night after practice.

thank you for sharing. good to know she's not alone!

She needs to try to keep her toes up and her chin to her chest. Then once she sees her toes that is when she needs to let go and rotate. I am a level 7 gymnast and I have competed a layout flyaway since level 6. I personally think they are easier once you get the timing.

that's what her coach said too.

cadybearsmommy, post: 493508, member: 9189"]My dd does an underswing for right now as do a couple of her teammates due to some lingering flyaway fears. The rest do tuck flyaways. We've seen about half tuck and half layout flyaways in L6 at competitins with a few piked flyaways here and there as well.

They are probably pushing for the layout flyaway bc that's what you generally see in L7 and L8. But if your dd is having trouble landing them then the tuck flyaway will work better. Once she gets the release timing down the layout flyaway will be easier to land.

Is the underwing dismount one of the "allowed" dismounts for L6 or is it a deduction to do it? I had thought you had to do some sort of fly away; but have seen some underwings and they seem to score fine...

Is the underwing dismount one of the "allowed" dismounts for L6 or is it a deduction to do it? I had thought you had to do some sort of fly away; but have seen some underwings and they seem to score fine...

Underswing is an A dismount so it's acceptable at L6. Salto dismounts aren't required until L7. Obviously the flyaway is the more progressive skill and should be used if they can do it but for someone like my dd who has major fear issues with the flyaway from hitting her toes on the bar multiple times doing it, it's a good compromise until she can overcome the fear.

My DD never did a layout flyaway to a non-pit landing until it was out of giants. Some girls she's trained w/ could do layouts (instead of tucks) just fine out of tap swings, kip/casts, free hips, etc., but not my DD, she always did tucks before she had giants - but she had no problem at all getting the layout out of a giant. It took her maybe a week from the time she was doing Giants on the real bars to when she was landing the layout dismount out of them.

Our gym really only works layout dismounts out of giants - but they will allow whatever the gymnast prefers for everything before Giants. I'd say our L6's are split half and half on if they do a tuck versus a layout out of their cast flyaway.

...she is having issues with landing her bars dismount/flyaway. when she first learned this past summer....

Proper layout flyaways are a difficult skill to teach and definitely not something the majority of gymnasts gets consistent with after only about 6 months of practicing. It's far more likely she will still be struggling with it a year from now than not. Without knowing your gymnast or her coaches, I would guess she was not given enough time to go through drills, shaping and more drills and rushed to compete the layout.

Proper layout flyaways are a difficult skill to teach and definitely not something the majority of gymnasts gets consistent with after only about 6 months of practicing. It's far more likely she will still be struggling with it a year from now than not. Without knowing your gymnast or her coaches, I would guess she was not given enough time to go through drills, shaping and more drills and rushed to compete the layout.

she hurt her knee and it happened when she was able to take a nice long break from a lot of the impact parts (floor, vault, layout landings) and i am fairly sure she had a growth spurt during that time (her leggings are now looking like they are at least an inch too short all of a sudden) and once she started doing her flyaways again, on non pit bars, she was a little off due to the growth spurt. two years ago, same meet, she also had an issue with her bars - lvl 3 and couldn't get her leg thru on the shoot thru. she finally worked it out and was fine but she missed the shoot thru 2 meets in a row when it hadn't been an issue.

surprising to me, as she's tiny, bars is her best event and i'm very confident in her coaches. she did drills for so long i thought she'd never get around to actually doing the flyaway. her gym also makes them do drills all season long even after they have the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back