Parents Level 6 what is your gym doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My understanding was that Level 6 is optional in both senses of the word, and that one wouldn't have to score out. Is that not correct?
==
If you competed level 6 already then yes you can either do new 6 or go to 7. But we were told at congress and from our state board that if a gymnast has only competed old 5, then they cannot jump to 7 without scoring out of new 6. That is what we were told. And the graph posted does not dispute that, it actually doesn't even cover that option. Also the graph has the incorrect level 5 bar routine in it as well. (2 counter swings, not one) So I'm not sure the validity of the graph.

But is there any reason a girl who competed L5 in 2012-13 can't go to one meet, compete her L7 routines as a L6, and score out? Or am I missing something?

(And you'd think they would proofread these documents, particularly with the routines, to within an inch of their lives, geez!)

==
If you competed level 6 already then yes you can either do new 6 or go to 7. But we were told at congress and from our state board that if a gymnast has only competed old 5, then they cannot jump to 7 without scoring out of new 6. That is what we were told. And the graph posted does not dispute that, it actually doesn't even cover that option. Also the graph has the incorrect level 5 bar routine in it as well. (2 counter swings, not one) So I'm not sure the validity of the graph.

It was my understanding that, if you competed "old 5" last year, you would need to compete, or at least score out of, "new 5" this year, at which point you could move to either "new 6" or 7.

But is there any reason a girl who competed L5 in 2012-13 can't go to one meet, compete her L7 routines as a L6, and score out? Or am I missing something?
. No, she would have to compete new 5 (old 6, compulsory routine) first. Then she could do what you mentioned, although I guess there is still a debate as to whether new 6 can be skipped altogether. Coachp, did you mean that would have to compete new 6 or new 5 if coming from old 5. Wasn't sure if what you put was a typo. All these new/old numbers can get confusing when typing. I remember reading the graph and wondering about whether New 6 could be skipped. It only says that for last year's level 6s, nothing for future years.

DD's group scored out of the old 6 last month after competing the old level 5 this past season. Most of her group will most likely be doing the new level 6 although there are a few that are planning to compete the new level 7. The parents of those competing the new level 7 were told that the girls did not have to compete one meet at the new level 6 since they had scored out of the old 6 back before the new rules became effective. I thought this was being allowed because it is a transitional year. I am assuming that next year, it will be required that a move to 7 will require meeting the minimum score at a level 6 meet.

From my understanding, If a gymnast competed "old" 5 this past season, they will have to compete at least one meet at "new 5" to score out. From there, it doesn't look like they will need to score out of 6 before competing 7. However, I could be wrong. We don't have any gymnasts that will be in this situation this year, so I haven't looked much into it beyond what I have seen on the USAG site, in technique, etc.

Unless you get them in an "old 6" meet to score out of that before the end of the month. If they score out of "old" 6, they can go to "new" 5, 6, OR 7.

Ah, got it. Sorry for muddying the waters! But at least it seems that a girl who competed old 5 this year would not have to do two score outs to get to L7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back