Parents Level 6 what is your gym doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
Ok I have read all threads pertaining to new level 6 and yet I am still confused. On bars will most new level 6s have cast handstands and giants and compete them or not? I have read new 6 a is a little easier than old 7 but I can't figure out in what way. Anyone who can help me understand I appreciate :)

I can't really help there since I don't know what our gym is doing either for sure although it looks like it will be a lot like the old level 6 stuff and I think the L7 will do the giants.

I think we are going to have a group of level 6s...most likely kids with fear issues or those that do not have a giant. We will see how the summer goes!

Our gym is not doing new level 6 (at least this year). They have Excel (I think that's the new name) as an option or L7.

At the moment all of our last-year's 6's are either repeating "new 5" or training 7, but we'll see what happens when the season gets closer.

I think our gym is skipping it. They rearranged things for summer and created a separate group for the new level 6, but when all was said and done there were only 2 girls that fit that level. So they bumped them up to the optional group and they are hoping they will compete level 7.

I think our gym is skipping it. They rearranged things for summer and created a separate group for the new level 6, but when all was said and done there were only 2 girls that fit that level. So they bumped them up to the optional group and they are hoping they will compete level 7.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly how it happened at our gym.

Seems like there will not be a lot of competition at the new L6...at least for this first year. We'll have to see how it shakes out...not sure what our gym is doing for sure, but I think that there will be some that compete L6.

I don't think our coaches have decided yet, but I would guess that giants/no giants will be the distinction between 6 and 7 for my DD's teammates.

Don't know what they are doing yet either but we do have a big group that will be competing L6. I think there will be a good amount doing L6 because many are more than ready to move out of old L5 but not ready for L7. I think its going to depend on the area you live in too. Some areas of the country are more competitive than others.

Don't know what they are doing yet either but we do have a big group that will be competing L6. I think there will be a good amount doing L6 because many are more than ready to move out of old L5 but not ready for L7. I think its going to depend on the area you live in too. Some areas of the country are more competitive than others.

This will be us I think. We are going to have about 8 level 6s - we have never had that many level 7s at once! We are a small gym without a pit, so we don't get a lot of optionals. We are thrilled that level 6 is now optional, and that it is a smidge easier than level 7 used to be. It will give a few more girls the opportunity to compete optional gymnastics. Our neighbour, Trinidad, is in the same boat, so I think we will have some level 6s to compete against as well. Our level 7s in the past have had very little competition in the region as the optionals groups have been very small at all the clubs, but I think it will increase a bit now. One thing we need to watch out for is when we do travel to the U.S. to compete, will there be other level 6s to compete against?

Our gym is having the girls score out of new L5 and compete new L6, so they can get a feel for optionals.

We looked at it and level 6 does not fit in the criteria of our program, and frankly I'm a little upset that the kids even have to score out of that level... (never had to before since it didn't exist).

We looked at it and level 6 does not fit in the criteria of our program, and frankly I'm a little upset that the kids even have to score out of that level... (never had to before since it didn't exist).

My understanding was that Level 6 is optional in both senses of the word, and that one wouldn't have to score out. Is that not correct?

My understanding was that Level 6 is optional in both senses of the word, and that one wouldn't have to score out. Is that not correct?
That's what we understood. Several of our girls are going ahead with the new level 7 after testing out of the old 6 last month. Was that only for this year?

From what I understand this is the only year they don't have to score out of 6. In August 2014 all kids will have to. I may be wrong on that one though. It's an exception they are making for the start of the new cycle only.

From what I understand this is the only year they don't have to score out of 6. In August 2014 all kids will have to. I may be wrong on that one though. It's an exception they are making for the start of the new cycle only.

But because L6 and L7 are both optional levels, it would seem pretty simple to take the quicker moving 5s and teach them their L7 routines and then have them just compete their L7 routines at one L6 meet to score out. By my read, they wouldn't even need to water down the routines -- wouldn't the extra B just count as an A? (For L6: "Allowed: All “A” & “B”
elements plus the following one “C” on UB: Clear hip circle to HS, which receives “B” VP credit.")

All of our potential new optionals are training together now, and the coaches will put them in 5, 6 or 7 when we are a lot closer to the meet season. As I know from last year, they are willing to wait until the eleventh hour to make the "what level" call if they think someone who's not quite there yet has the potential to make it. While it can be stressful for the gymnasts and the parents, I think this is a good way to do it, because it's hard to tell when someone's going to go through a really good burst of training and start picking up skills rapidly. At this time last summer, there was no question at all in my mind that DD would be doing another year of compulsory/old L6.

Thinking about it, it seems to me that it may be more difficult to figure out whether to go 5 or 6 this year than 6 or 7, particularly for girls who did L6 this year but had a tough time. The giant's a pretty easy bright line to draw between 6 and 7, just as the Yurchenko will remain an easy line between 7 and 8 at DD's gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back