WAG Level 6??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Hi all,

I know this has been talked about, but did anyone find anywhere in the USAG literature where it says that there will be no mobility score for the new 6? I.e, that they can go right to 7 after scoring out of the new 5 if they have the skill necessary for 7? I've looked and looked and I can't find it. Thanks!

I asked this a few days ago too. The documents out now definitely says that current 6s can skip new 6 this coming season but so far, I have seen no confirmation on whether new 5's can go directly to 7 or if they will have to score out of new 6 first.

Look at the Q&A at the bottom of the page, 2nd to last one.
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf

Thanks Molly. This only addresses next season's (on top it says for the 2013-14 season), not future years. And really, it only addresses the levels in terms of the old system levels, not the new.

Also, the way they write
"6 is an optional level in 2013"
is confusing. Is 6 an optional level the way 7-10 are (not compulsory) or optional as in not required, which is what I think they really mean because they add in "for the 2013 year", which leads to the suggestion that it is not required this coming year but will be required in future years. I am really surprised that they have not clarified this yet, unless they are purposely being vague until they make final decisions for future years.

Hmm. Interesting. It doesn't address whether a current level 5 could score out of the new level 5 next year and then go right to 7 if ready. So I'm thinking that they will require a mobility score from the new 6 to the new 7? I thought I had read on this forum that some were thinking that the new level 6 would be "optional" in both senses of the word but maybe it was just speculation.

DD did a second season of level 5 this past fall. Coach usually just does a mobility meet for 6 and then up to optionals. BUT, with the changes it would be a score out of the new level 5 next year. However, with all the up training happening, DD now has all current level 7 skills except giants.

Seems the consensus is that it would give kids the most options to score out of current 6 to have the most options going into next year. But coach hasn't mentioned doing that. :/

I'm probably over thinking as usual!

Seems the consensus is that it would give kids the most options to score out of current 6 to have the most options going into next year.
Yep. And, the 6 routines are very similar to the 5 routines, so it's not hard to learn the choreography assuming the girls have the skills.

This is some great info on the new levels from John Geddert - check out his newsletter.
Newsletters

Click this link, scroll down a bit to the March 2013 issue of Gymnastically Speaking and click the hyperlink below the newsletter image. Go to page 5 "The new USAG system" and peruse this page. It sounds like John is planning to bypass level 6 this coming year and in years to come (at least that is how I read it!), and from what I understand it really is an optional optional level.

Also, the way they write
"6 is an optional level in 2013"
is confusing. Is 6 an optional level the way 7-10 are (not compulsory) or optional as in not required, which is what I think they really mean because they add in "for the 2013 year", which leads to the suggestion that it is not required this coming year but will be required in future years. I am really surprised that they have not clarified this yet, unless they are purposely being vague until they make final decisions for future years.
I read optional as meaning not required in this case. Just because we know it will be a non-compulsory (optional) level moving beyond the 2013-14 season, but whether or not it is required beyond then seems to be a question mark. But who really knows? I think we have it on pretty good authority from coaches here that it will be a non-required level, so I guess just view it that way until we hear otherwise? The National workshop for compulsories is coming up at the end of May/beginning of June so I imagine we'll know more after that, but who knows?

I am also wondering if there is a mobility score for new 5 to new 6 that would go into effect in August 2013. A mom at our gym said something about having our girls start the year at level 5 and get a mobility score to move to level 6 in the same year/season. I have not been able to find that score listed anywhere.

Does anyone know?

Based on my read of the new information, it looks like the mobility score from new 5 to new 6 would probably be a 31. However, other information also states that competition at the new 6 is not required (go from new 5 to new 7?). The information is available to everyone from the USAG website, under the Women's area, Rules section, and then the 2013-2012 JO Compulsory section. Good Luck piecing it all together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back