WAG Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know theres many threads about whether gyms compete level 5 or 6, ours does 5 now but we are considering doing 6 instead next year. If your gym competes level 6, do the girls each get their own floor routine, or do all the level 6s do the same routine? I've seen both at meets and am wondering which would be better for us if we decide to switch to level 6.

Our gym competes both 5 and 6, and 6's all get the same music and same floor routine. There may be subtle variations in the floor routine, such as a jump substitution and ending pose, but they are 95% the same.

Different music and routines start at level 7 here. Fine with me as a parent :)

All personalized routines to fit their strengths. Why would you not tailor the routines to the gymnast? LVL 6 is so much more fun for my DD!

In our case, I suspect it is because Level 6 season (Spring) immediately follows Level 5 (Fall), so there is not much training time in between (about a month). Extra gym, coach, and choreographer time for all 15-20 L6 girls to select own music and choreograph and practice individual routines would be hard to schedule. True, they could start earlier (during L5 comp season), but there is always the question whether someone is going to 'make' L6 (though nearly all do), and I can see how that would be disheartening to have been getting all ready for L6 during L5, then not make it. Plus coaches don't want distraction from L5 comps.

In the OP's case, it seems like they are deciding whether to focus on L5 or on L6 (rather than do both). In that case, if L5 is just 'scored out of' there would be more time to build unique routines, and perhaps a stronger case to treat L6 as a full optional level. Our gym uses it more as a quick stopover.

For the past two years, we have had our level 5 gymnasts compete a full season of level 5 (late August to weekend before Thanksgiving). Then they compete a short season of level 6 (starting mid-Feb, 3 invitationals + state).

They get their own routines, but they also end up with almost 3 months between level 5 state and their first level 6 meet. Optionals then generally have routines for two years, so they use those same routines the next season as level 7s, with a few changes to the tumbling and dance skills.

At DD's gym, they test out of 5 during the summer then compete 6 starting in Jan. Each girl gets her own routine for floor.

From a parent perspective here...I would advocate for individual routines. DD's gym has two routines for L6/7. One routine is stronger on the dance than the other and this one was given to the girls who had stronger dance/attention to details in the compulsory routines (tumbling passes are the same for each routine). This routine has not scored as high as the other and it's been a season of wondering "what could've been" with a different routine for this group. I would be more than willing to pay more for individual routines that better reflect my gymnast's strengths.

Our gym tests out of L5 and competes L6 instead. Each girl gets custom routine which is modified for use in L7 the following year. (Same music and routine for 2 years, with upgrades as they are ready) Pretty much the same for beam, poses and element order are the same, but some skills are different. I think bars is the big reason our gym uses L6. The emphasis on cast to handstand at L6 makes the transition to L7 much easier for most. (and of course, the girls and parents LOVE being finished with compulsory sooner!)

Our gym tests out of L5 and goes to L6. This year there were 2 L6 routines - spunkier one for the youngers and more flowy one for the olders. Last year there was one L6 routine.

Everyone gets their own routine...I choreographed all 17 of them! I would not consider using the same routine for everyone. They are so happy to have routines that cater to their individual strengths. They are all scoring much higher than they did in compulsories.

Our gym tests out of 5 and competes 6.
All girls get their own music and routines for floor and beam. These routines (different skills) are also used for L7

Our gym competes Xcel and then goes from Gold to Level 6. Of course they have to score out of 4 and 5, but a lot of gyms score out of 5 and compete 6 around here anyway. 5 doesn't seem to be a popular level to stay at for a whole year lol, supposedly it is judged very harshly and Level 6 can actually be easier b/c they can compete to their strengths.

And all of our L6's have individualized floor routines with their own music, I think the beam is pretty much the same, except the acro may be different depending on what the girl does best. However, our Xcel girls actually compete the same music/routines, like bronze all have the same routine, silver has the same routine, etc. The only difference might be the tumbling passes.

Our gym has all the Level 6 girls do the same music/dance routine. They have different tumbling passes, beam series, depending on their capabilities.

Personally, I wish they had their own music/routines. We only have two level 6's competing this season. They have a lot of cutesy dance moves beam and floor that work great for the other girl who can dance and has flair, but are tougher for my serious, muscular girl to pull off.

Individual music and routines. Most of our L6s also competed Jr. High Gymnastics Team (basically Xcel Platinum Rules) and THOSE routines had music picked and were choreographed and learned in 3 weeks with the first meet the next week.
For the girls going to L6 for our real season, we made slight modifications. We had 3 girls that started OUR season at L5, but they still ran their L6 routines on occasion to keep them in their minds. That made the transition to L6 (we require scoring out 2x) easier.

All of the L6s at my DDs gym have the same music and routine, with tumbling switched as needed and different ending poses. I really wish they were all different though, as they all have different strengths and styles. I have ward word that the gym may switch to all the same routines next year for L7 too, which would really stink.

At DD's old gym, the girls tested out of 5 through an in-house meet then begin learning their individual routines.

At DD's new gym, the girls do a season at 5 and then go on to 7. There is not L6 team.

All of the L6s at my DDs gym have the same music and routine, with tumbling switched as needed and different ending poses. I really wish they were all different though, as they all have different strengths and styles. I have ward word that the gym may switch to all the same routines next year for L7 too, which would really stink.

Yuck! I am still riding the high from no more compulsory music! I think I would cry if our gym did this! Our girls are varied in age and personality and one song really does not fit all. I hope they don't switch for your sake.

Yuck! I am still riding the high from no more compulsory music! I think I would cry if our gym did this! Our girls are varied in age and personality and one song really does not fit all. I hope they don't switch for your sake.
Me too! My DD absolutely hates the music this year too. Although I'm not sure there is anything to do about that- the girls with their own music still have no say in the song choice or the choreography. There is one poor girl with her own routine- a hip hop routine- who just looks flat out uncomfortable with the dancing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back