WAG Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's too bad. Our girls picked their own music for the most part with guidance from the coaches. They would definitely veto anything they didn't like. Then the girls just had to bring them more options. Our choreography seems to be spot on for most of the girls. My daughter absolutely loves workin' it in her routine!

Our gym competes Level 6 and each gymnast has their own music and choreography. They usually keep their music and routines for Level 7, with upgrades.

Dd scored out of lv 4 and lv 5, competed 6 last season, 7 this season. Our gym doesn't compete lv 5. All of our 6's have individual routines/music.

Our girls are doing a back to back level 5/6 season. The coach offered two floor routines and the girls got to pick. They will get their own music for level 7.

Picked music, individualistic routine.
Thank God.
I feel it is so great for the girls to express themselves...they own it. I am sorry for those who are still waiting for this, and wanting it...

Now I'm curious how it all works at dd's gym. :) We compete levels 5 & 6, although there are different paths the girls take. Some do both. Some compete 5, skip 6 and go to 7. Some skip 5 (well they compete 2 meets - the first to score out and the state meet) and then go to 6. The 6's do have their own routines, but I have no idea how they get chosen and if they keep them for multiple levels or what.

We scored out of level 5 at a meet in in September and then started level 6 in January. Every girl has her own floor, beam and bars routine, but the bars routines are really very similar. Obviously vault is the same. (Does anyone actually ever do the 1/2 on vault option?)

Our girls also pick their own music, subject to approval by the team floor coach and choreography. The girls also get say in how their routines are choreographed. My dd didn't like one section of her floor routine, so after practicing it for about a month, she and the coach reworked it and now they are both happy.

I would just cry if my DD had the same music as all her teammates- that was the gift of optionals. The meets cost more and are farther away but by golly, you get your own music and choreography (we also use the same choreography for two years).

We want good, solid optionals, so we do Level 5. This year half of last year's 5s went to 6 and half to 7 depending on where their skills were. 6s get their own floor routines just like all of our optionals.

Our gym doesn't compete L6(we go from L5-L7). For L7, they all get individual routines.
We did see one gym who had the same floor routines for all their L6's and all their L7's at a meet recently. Same music (one for 6, a different one for 7) and tiny minute differences in the routine but not much variation. Our HC said our gym used to do that many years ago for L7 but since we started giving them their own routines, now there's no way to take that back without everyone getting REALLY unhappy..! ;)

Ours is doing 6 this season with individual music and choreo. We are a newer gym, so our 6s are our highest level - it's a trial and error process! Half our 6s did a full season of 5 last year and the coaches decided they preferred the flexibility of level 6. So our 5's moved to 6 and they scored a bunch of 4's out of 5 to join them at level 6 rather than do the full season at 5. They are all loving their personal routines and music -and so are the parents! Meets go so much faster when there's a variety of music!

Slight tangent here...if your gymnast competes 6 at her current gym and then makes a switch to a new gym that skips 6 (moving directly from 5 to 7), is a gymnast allowed to go back to level 5 if they don't meet the new gym's requirements for moving to 7? (Lacking giants or connected series on beam, etc)

I know you typically can't drop back once you compete at States for a particular level, but considering the flexibility and optional nature of level 6, is it different in that case? Seems like when gyms have the option of using or skipping level 6, I'd think this issue would come up!

Ours is doing 6 this season with individual music and choreo. We are a newer gym, so our 6s are our highest level - it's a trial and error process! Half our 6s did a full season of 5 last year and the coaches decided they preferred the flexibility of level 6. So our 5's moved to 6 and they scored a bunch of 4's out of 5 to join them at level 6 rather than do the full season at 5. They are all loving their personal routines and music -and so are the parents! Meets go so much faster when there's a variety of music!

Slight tangent here...if your gymnast competes 6 at her current gym and then makes a switch to a new gym that skips 6 (moving directly from 5 to 7), is a gymnast allowed to go back to level 5 if they don't meet the new gym's requirements for moving to 7? (Lacking giants or connected series on beam, etc)

I know you typically can't drop back once you compete at States for a particular level, but considering the flexibility and optional nature of level 6, is it different in that case? Seems like when gyms have the option of using or skipping level 6, I'd think this issue would come up!

I "believe" you are able to go back a level but you have to have it approved by your state usag board...or something like that! ;)

Yeah, I had read that you can petition for a drop back, say for injury. Just seems like the 5-6-7 conundrum has to happen with some regularity that there might be more flexibility without needing a formal petition. Since there is no mobility score out of 6 and you've never competed 7, it's sort of like you never left 5!

According to Rules and Policies (pg 77), "Mobility back and forth between Levels 5 & 6 is allowed" and "Once an athlete competes in the State Championships, she is not allowed to drop back...Exception: Mobility is allowed back and forth from Levels 5 and 6 without going through the petitioning process."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back