WAG level 7 beam which is better

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Usually a backwalkover backwalkover. It is normally easier to connect (except for girls with fears). Then you can upgrade like this:

level 7: Backwalkover backwalkover
level 8: Backwalkover backhandspring or 2 backhandsprings (step out)
level 9: 2 backhandsprings or backhandspring back layout
level 10: Backhandspring back layout

This isn't mandatory but its ideal according to a lot of coaches and gymnasts.

For forwards you would have to do front handspring step out on one, maybe aerial, front toss... ect It's harder to get the connection. A lot of gymnasts (level 10) have a backhandspring back layout step out and a forward combination. Like a front aerial in front of the series or a front aerial connected to something else. If they miss that connection its ok because they already have the other one.

In terms of progressions I would agree with Flipomaniak except I would add bhs-back tuck as an option for level 9. For originality, though, I would say frontwalkover-frontwalkover because fewer people do it and when done correctly they look very nice. Judges do not see the frontwalkover series as often so it is a nice change of pace. Realistically, though, progressions are more important (imho) than originality, especially in level 7. But neither one is a bad option, so I would go with the one you can do better and more consistantly.

Is either of these more common or preferred in level 7 beam?

BWO/BWO connected and a BHS not connected.

Or

BWO/BHS connected.

Is either of these more common or preferred in level 7 beam?

BWO/BWO connected and a BHS not connected.

Or

BWO/BHS connected.

From my experience, this depends entirely on your region. Where I live, bwo/bhs (Region 7) is far more common but when we traveled out of state as Level 7s, for instance to Lady Luck in Las Vegas, nearly all the girls did bwo/bwo.

it has nothing to do with regions. only in what the kids can do and do safely. for those that don't have a backwards problem (vestibular) it goes bwo>bwo, then bwo>flip flop, then flip flop>flip flop and then flip flop>back somi of some kind whether layout step out or layout 2 feet or tuck/puck/pike back.

front walk over front walk over is just as good and works for those kids with a backwards problem. it goes fwo>fwo, then fro>front handspring, then front handspring>front handspring, then front handspring>aerial walkover or aerial cartwheel, and if your really good then aerial walk over>aerial walk over or aerial cartwheel.

it has nothing to do with regions. only in what the kids can do and do safely. for those that don't have a backwards problem (vestibular) it goes bwo>bwo, then bwo>flip flop, then flip flop>flip flop and then flip flop>back somi of some kind whether layout step out or layout 2 feet or tuck/puck/pike back.

front walk over front walk over is just as good and works for those kids with a backwards problem. it goes fwo>fwo, then fro>front handspring, then front handspring>front handspring, then front handspring>aerial walkover or aerial cartwheel, and if your really good then aerial walk over>aerial walk over or aerial cartwheel.

I am sure that you are right and it does have to do with what the kids can do safely and I am not answering what is preferred, only what I personally observed from attending meets in different areas of the country. Our gym was practically the only one doing bwo/bhs at some meets. At others, bwo/bhs was the most commonly seen connection. FWIW, my own dd did bhs/bhs at Level 7. As near as I could tell, the choice of connection did not affect the score.

From my parent perspective, the bwo/bhs appears to be easier to make the connection. I see a lot of girls having trouble smoothly connecting the 2 bwo. Dd has a much easier time going into a bhs than another bwo, will compete the bwo/bhs as a 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back