Parents Level 7...what to expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aksaunders

Proud Parent
Can anyone give me an idea on what to expect as the father of a new level 7 gymnast? My DD just had her first meet of the year and competed in the "new" level 4 and the "new" level 5 in consecutive sessions. She scored 37.575 and 37.050 respectively in those two sessions. She will skip level 6 and compete in her first level 7 meet in January. She is only 8 years old so her mother and I want to make sure that we stay positive if she is not scoring as well as she has in the past. Thanks for any insight you can give.

This is just my opinion and I'm certainly not an expert, but if she is moving through levels that quickly, she is eventually going to find a level that challenges her, which is probably the goal of her coaches. Just look at it from the perspective that she's flying through the levels and as long as she's improving and happy you are happy.

I doubt she'll score as well as a kid who was a Level 6, last year for example, only because they have trained those skills longer. I equate it to a gifted child skipping grades. You can take a 6 year old and put him in fourth grade. If he makes Bs in fourth grade, it's certainly not a step backwards, you've just found the place he needs to be.

Your daughter sounds incredibly talented. Enjoy the ride!

You can celebrate her competing in three different levels in one season. Maybe that's normal in your daughter's gym, but in most places it's not. Celebrate that!..... because she'll deserve a medal even if she tops out her L7 season with a best of 35.00, but I suspect she'll do better than that.

Congrats to her :). Wish I could say what to expect but its a crazy sport and optionals is different than compulsories but as Iwannacoach said celebrate her fantastic accomplishments- she sounds talented and I'm sure shes excited for her own floor music and routines.

Maybe I never noticed before because it didn't apply to DD, so I was oblivious to the optional world, but it seems that with the level changes, there's a large number of girls jumping to the new level 7. DD competed old 5 (new 4) last year and will be doing level 7 in spring. I don't think I've heard of anyone that will compete the new level 6.

Like you, my expectations are nearly wide open. I'm assuming we'll have to temper expectations this year given the level skipping and the fact that the higher levels have fewer and fewer girls, so more of them are going to be quite good.

In this area, I have noticed that at least at L7 and L8 the youngest age group tends to be the most competitive. Be prepared that she may score well but not place well. This was a little bit of a shock for my dd when she first started optionals. At state meet at L7 she scored higher than a teammate but was 10th place AA, whereas her teammate who was 2 years older placed 1st AA. So, a great time to focus on personal goals, skill acquisition, etc... and keep the focus off of placements as much as possible to avoid discouragement.

Advice from an old gymdad who has been through as similiar situation:
1. Be proud but patient.
2. Trust your dd's coaches.
3. Keep your expectations in check: so much can happen through the years to change the outcome.
4. Always support your dd no matter what. Respect her wants, needs and decisions. It is her sport and her future, not yours.
5. This is a crazy demanding sport, so do your best to make your dd's childhood and teen years as normal as possible.
6. Respect your gym. You are at a very good one. We competed against them many times. We always came to your meets and you came to ours.
7. Enjoy this experience along with your dd. It will give you (and dw) a chance to have a special relationship with her.
8. Be sure the rest of your family has your attention and time.
9. Go Bucks!!!!

You can celebrate her competing in three different levels in one season. Maybe that's normal in your daughter's gym, but in most places it's not. Celebrate that!..... because she'll deserve a medal even if she tops out her L7 season with a best of 35.00, but I suspect she'll do better than that.

This is not typical in our gym either. DD performed extremely well last season at the old level 4 taking first AA in 7 of 9 meets and second AA in the other two. She has been in the day program At the gym since mid-April of this year so she has been lucky enough to receive a lot of outstanding coaching. Additionally, being at the gym all day with the older girls makes her work that much harder. She loves it so far and so long as that continues to be her attitude, her mother and I are happy.

Maybe I never noticed before because it didn't apply to DD, so I was oblivious to the optional world, but it seems that with the level changes, there's a large number of girls jumping to the new level 7. DD competed old 5 (new 4) last year and will be doing level 7 in spring. I don't think I've heard of anyone that will compete the new level 6.

Like you, my expectations are nearly wide open. I'm assuming we'll have to temper expectations this year given the level skipping and the fact that the higher levels have fewer and fewer girls, so more of them are going to be quite good.

I think that you and iwannacoach have hit the nail on the head. Competing three levels in one season is a huge accomplishment and we will need to control our DD's expectations this season. If you don't mind, I think that I will borrow your statement that there are going to be more girls at her level that are extremely talented. We want her to keep working hard but not get diiscouraged if she doesn't do as well as she believes she should. I guess we will just have to find the right balance. Thanks for the insight.

In this area, I have noticed that at least at L7 and L8 the youngest age group tends to be the most competitive. Be prepared that she may score well but not place well. This was a little bit of a shock for my dd when she first started optionals. At state meet at L7 she scored higher than a teammate but was 10th place AA, whereas her teammate who was 2 years older placed 1st AA. So, a great time to focus on personal goals, skill acquisition, etc... and keep the focus off of placements as much as possible to avoid discouragement.

That is a great point and one that I will be sure to talk about with her. I will combine this with wallinbl's comments. Thanks for the reply.

This is interesting - and very opposite to what my instincts would say. Do you think this is because there are "a lot" of them, and thus the competition is tougher, or because those who are at those levels at a young age are doing "better"? I would have thought that there were less younger kids at those levels, and that possibly some have moved fast, and therefore aren't quite as prepared, whereas girls in the higher age groups have more experience, etc.

This is interesting - and very opposite to what my instincts would say. Do you think this is because there are "a lot" of them, and thus the competition is tougher, or because those who are at those levels at a young age are doing "better"? I would have thought that there were less younger kids at those levels, and that possibly some have moved fast, and therefore aren't quite as prepared, whereas girls in the higher age groups have more experience, etc.
For a young kid to be at a higher level than average for their age, it means they're very good. There aren't always a lot of them, but the ones that are there are good.

Wallinbl is right. If they were not very good at this young age they wouldn't be at that level. later on this will even out as others catch up.

For a young kid to be at a higher level than average for their age, it means they're very good. There aren't always a lot of them, but the ones that are there are good.
Ok this is what I was expecting. Fewer girls due to the age. Thank you for clarifying :)

yes, that is true here too. Generally speaking, the youngest age group in any level scores the highest. I think DD came in 10th AA at states last year in her age group, but if she had been in her teammate's age group - the teammate is 3 years older - she would have come in 2nd.

Wow, I appreciate all the comments. I just know how hard these girls work for what amounts to less than 5 minutes of routines...one misstep can be the difference between standing on the podium or not. With all the success my DD's had in previous seasons, I just want to make sure that she doesn't get discouraged if she is not placing as well. Thanks to all the parents for their insight.

We just try to emphasize that all we can ask, and all DD can ask of herself, is that she's trying her best and trying to improve on the things in her control - bent legs, pointed toes, etc. Placements are out of her control and shouldn't be stressed over.

Congrats to your young level 7! I also have a young high level gymnast . My daughter is an 11 year old level 9, was a 10 year old level 8 last year and I honestly have to say it was rough ! Being in those young age groups who always seem to get the higher scores which meant my new level 8 ( she only did 1 level 7 meet to score out) wasn't on the podium much and it hurt her confidence . As parents we just stressed to her that she is so talented and she is in a hard age group because she moved up so fast . Good luck !!

Congrats! I hope she has a great year!

The biggest surprise in L7 for me was that we never knew who was going to end up on top at any given meet or who was going to have a rough time. In compulsories, sure, maybe someone would fall off the beam, but people mostly ended up pretty close to the same order and did pretty similar routines from meet to meet. At L7, there's a lot of room for variability! The girl who topped the team for AA last time may miss her squat on, cast over on her handstand, and then freak out and miss her giant and end up with an abysmal bars score at the next meet. Fall on beam? .5 -- unless it's in the middle of your acro and you're doing the walkover-walkover and can't repeat a skill, in which case it's a much bigger hit. The one in the back of the pack adds some upgrades and bingo, there she is near the front! Orrrr bingo she gets clearance to do the half on floor she's been DYING to do and falls. DD, who has always struggled tremendously with bars, pulled off her best score ever at their last meet because she was one of only two girls to hit a cast handstand. She looked positively bewildered accepting her first bars medal ever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back