Parents Level 8 Meet Report!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Finally - 1st meet of the season.. I can't believe it took so long to get here! After the injury prone fall Beetle had, I was really nervous for her this meet. I knew she wanted to have a good meet, as a 2nd year level 8. She has worked so hard to come back from these injuries. A few months back judges from our state sent emails to all coaches explaining they would be tighening up some scoring this year. We saw it too.. LOTS of 7's out there.. very few 9's.. but if you got one, you deserved it!

Onto the meet -

Much to Beetle's dismay she started on beam. Arg.. I think the fairies detoured south for warmer weather. She didn't get connection for her flight then Fell on her bwo. On the bright side - gorgeous switch leap. Stuck the dismount - 7.45.

Floor - She really is poised out there and knows how to show it off. She was a little piked in her full twist and had some bent knees in her front lay out. The judges seemed to like it! 9.15!

Vault - a week ago she balked on her Tsuk's. So her coach had her stop working them onto competition mat and had her work handsprings all week long. She was very upset a Handspring is a 9.0 start value at L8. Not to mention she hasn't competed a Handspring in 2 years. Well well well what do you know.. the kid knows how to Handspring after all - Stuck it COLD! 8.575 (and like some very bright people have said.. the Stuck handspring scored better than many bad tsuk's)

Bars - She had some really nice routine's in warm ups. I was hoping she would be able to do one of those for the judges. She was close..She did kip Cast to HS And just sat there... after a couple years (or seconds) she turned the pirouette. but tapped her feet on the kip. Didn't quite hit Handstand one her cast before her clear hip but did before her giants stuck the landing. Score.. 8.35

And guess what ladies and gents... That is good enough to qualify her for State! WOO HOO! What a relief to get that done in the first meet!

One thing that some of us mom's were complaining about for this meet is the really large age groups. There were 35 kids in Beetle's age group. They went out 10 places for medals (Bog - it felt like we were in Canada! :) )

Beetle received a 10th place medal for vault finished in a 8th place tie for floor she got the 9th Place Medal.

She finished 15th in the All Around with a 33.525. She was Happy to qualify for state. She thinks she could have had a much better day, I am trying to keep her focusing on the positives!

We had a great time with Gym Monkey's Mom and her DD at the college meet the night before the meet. So fun!!!

Congrats! We also had a L8 meet this weekend. It was the 2nd for my younger daughter and 1st for my older. Judging was VERY harsh. My girls did have several mistakes, they were nervous wrecks and just not into it. So unfortunately no state qualification here, In fact they had the lowest scores of their gymnastics careers. I just hope they don't get discouraged, at least they didn't get too upset. It was what it was and we'll move on.

What a great meet report and a big I told you so on vault. SO glad she qualified, now she can relax and really enjoy her other meets, that might enable her to get some of her other skills out there!

Sounds like she had a really great meet and placed very well in abig group. Our meets only do medals to 3rd place and ribbons to 8th, I can't tell you the number of times my kid came 9th and got zilch, though a medal for third or a ribbon for fourth, I know which I'd prefer! But you know I think they still benefit from competing even though the odds of getting on the podium are low.

Nice AA score, now when is the next meet!

great job!!!Now she can relax and have fun since she qualified to state. We would love to see the video!! My DD 1st level 8 meet is next weekend! I think I'm more nervous than her!!!

Judging was VERY harsh. My girls did have several mistakes, they were nervous wrecks and just not into it. So unfortunately no state qualification here, In fact they had the lowest scores of their gymnastics careers. I just hope they don't get discouraged, at least they didn't get too upset. It was what it was and we'll move on.

That is the way to look at it! I often tell Beetle & her friends, the goal isnt to go out in the first meet and get your highest AA score. Take 1 - 2 things away from each meet and before you know it they will be scoring full points higher!

Thanks for the congrats.

What a great meet report and a big I told you so on vault.

Nice AA score, now when is the next meet!
LOL Yes Bog - you were right on that vault :)

Next meet is Saturday! Then we hop on an airplane the following Thursday for the sunny warmth of Florida for the Sand Dollar Meet!

We would love to see the video!!
Yeah... I dont video! LOL... my hubby does but he wasn't at this meet. My videos are TERRIBLE.. I tend to follow the skilll. Only getting the top half on vault 'cuz I jump wiht her on the table. Or Circle around bars... things like that. I think Gym Monkey's Mom got the Good Part of Beetle's beam! (after the fall) Hee hee..

Next week we will have video! I promise.

I'm thinking that scoring and placing so well on the HS must be very encouraging for her!!
I also wondered if she does HS-fronts?? (since she has such a strong HS). Or is that not allowed at L8? Some girls find it easier than tsuks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great score for a HS, that is awesome and you are so right that a well executed HS will score just as good if not better than a wonky Tsuk or Yurchenko.

Her floor sounds lovely, really wish we could see, but I understand I find myself circling sometimes on bars too! ;)

As for scoring, it is not just in your area, it's everywhere. If you are doing 8 this yr, you better be doing it well or you will be in for a very big surprise! :eek: The last meet that dd was in had only (10) 9s awarded the entire session for all of the events. Those that came to 8 because of the watering down are really getting dinged. I'm actually happy to see that, not the dinging, but the higher standards that the judges want to see.

Good job to Beetle for getting qualified and good luck this weekend - my dd is also competing (on Sunday). I'll be looking for your meet report... oh and I'm still jealous that you're heading to warm weather, wish we could go too! ;)

Congrats to Beetle! Sounds like a good solid meet and what a relief to qualify for States already! One less thing to worry about! Good job!

Way to go Beetle! Sounds like an awesome meet! Can't wait till next meet so that we can see your floor routine! Congrats on qualifying for States! Ahhhh, Florida! Sure wish we were going! Could really use some warm weather! Good luck Beetle!

Congrats to her!! Glad she qualified for State--our one level 8 that did all-around qualified as well, so she was thrilled. Beth was at the meet all weekend and said alot of the routines were "scary". Guess that happens the first meet of the year!

I'm thinking that scoring and placing so well on the HS must be very encouraging for her!!
I also wondered if she does HS-fronts?? (since she has such a strong HS). Or is that not allowed at L8? Some girls find it easier than tsuks.

She has never tried them, not something we have seen in our gym but maybe once. It would be neat to watch her learn them though!

Congrats on qualifying for States!!! Sounds like she had a very good meet. Way too big of an age group though, seriously. Yuck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back