MAG Levels questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Just a question to ease my mind a bit...We tend to trust our coach on this, but jsut looking for opinions and/or thoughts!

My son just turned 9. He has done 1 year of level 4 and 2 years of 5. He did decently last year. We assumed he was going 6 this year, but coach is wanting him to maybe do another year of 5. He is not consistent on his handstands on p-bars, and his high bar needs a lot of work (piked in his free hip, inconsistent straight arm kip, not a very good 3/4 giant.) He has a lot of the level 6 skills on all the events, but some of those basics are not quite a strong as they should be. he is struggling on high bar mainly. He has the skills for the the floor, vault, rings, and almost there on pommel.

Thoughts?

Hes only 9. Trust his coach. Boys progress so differently from girls and they dont peak until much later. Strength comes into play much more than it does with the girls. Plus, wouldnt u rather he rocks level 5 than does poorly at level 6? I have a boy that will probably do two years of both 4 and 5 and hes 10. The way it was explained to us is that boys are just peaking in their strength in their early to mid twenties where girls are usually done by 18-20. Theres no rush.

Thanks! That was our thoughts too, but I think I just needed to hear it from someone else!! LOL!

Yeah. I am realizing that boys do repeat levels a lot more than girls do. They have 6 events to master--not just 4, and from my experience, the girls are in the gym more hours a week from a younger age. I would agree as long as your son is happy, don't stress too much about what level he is at (I am trying to take that advice too!)

It is hard advice, isn't it?

After talking to D quite a bit, he has decided that he will be happy with whatever the coach decides. he has his level 6 floor, mushroom, pommel routines really great, and almost has his vault consistent. He is missing like 2 skills to have rings and p's and well,high bar needs work but he can do most of the skills. He knows that he will uptrain, and his coach works him hard.

So, we will do whatever. I think leaving his friends has him more sad than anything. I told him we could go watch them and go out iwth them after meets if he wants. They still all work out together.

thanks for walking me through this! This gymnastics stuff is tough sometimes!

keep him right where he is. and especially in light of the changes taking place next year for the boys.

Yep...let him tear up level 5! Level 6 is hard.

Thanks guys. I still don't know what the final decision will be, but he has stated he is fine either way :) That helps. He is finally working the level 6 HB routine. He stated it best the other day....I'll be fine either way, as long as I am doing gymnastics. He has it right that's for sure :)

Thought I would give a little update :)

Coach decided to do another year of 5. We are perfectly happy. D is finally doing a real high bar routine....that might score higher than 12 ;) He has just really gotten tighter and prettier on everything. It is amazing. We think it will really help him in the long run to have these basics down pat, rather than pushing to work on harder things now.

Ready for teh season now! First meet is next weekend ;)

That's great, glad the decision is made and more he can relax and know that he can compete well. I can't remember- are you doing the Steamboat meet?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah! We will be up there. We are excited, but more for the skiing and snowshoeing :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back