Loosing the Kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Hopefully someone can answer this question. Why do girls loose their kips? My DD8 has done at least 20 kips not the prettiest but got there. Then one day she went to gym and couldn't get it. Now is almost has them again, only needs a bit of a spot. This seems to be a very common occurance at our gym at least. Almost all the girls will finally get this skill, do a decent number of times and then BAM it's gone. It's very frustrating to all concerned. I just tell my DD8 that she's done them 20 times, you'll get them again but she's a bit frustrated with it. Plus it is the last skill she needs for L5 and she is anxious to get it so she can then make it look pretty. BTW her coaches aren't worried about at all and say she'll have them in plenty of time but i was wondering how common this was

Thanks,
Heidi- Southeast Idaho

I lost my kip at least 3 times before it stayed for good. I think this is really common because the kip is the first skill you learn where the technique is really important, and it's easy to forget the exact timing and then lose it. I'm sure she'll get it back soon, and I hope it stays this time!

Very, very common. It will come back, she will be fine. But that is one massively frustrating skill for everyone involved.

As everyone else has said, getting a skill and losing it is VERY common... I think tho, that the kip, is the first major skill this happens with!!! Next, it will be fly aways, then giants, back handsprings on beam, etc.!!! My one piece of advice is to try not to add to the pressure she already feels!

I just give her encouragement and tell her it happens, she'll get it again. I figure if you did it once you can eventually do it again. It's nice to see that it is a common problem.
Heidi-Southeast Idaho

Sorry if this is a late reply, but my coach always used to say "Getting a kip is like learning to ride a bike - once you learn it, you'll always have it" So some days she might not get it up, but she'll always have it. :) Good luck!

Yep, my daughter got hers and lost hers. She had it back consistently within a couple weeks. She had beautiful kips throughout her L5 season. Then she got grips this past month, and had to start all over. I was surprised how fast she got it back with the grips though, just a couple practices. The front hip circles are giving her more trouble with the grips than the kips did.
Your DD will get them back and yes, I think it happens a lot!

Thanks for all of the replies. DD left me a message after practice yesterday and said she got her kips again, 4 times in a row, bent arms apparently but she got them again. She was going to go to open gym tonight and show it off to dad. Boy was she excited!

I totally understand about the grips. That's when DD lost it. She has struggled a bit with the grips. Her front hip circle look great last year and now with the grips it has some problems. it will look good with practice again I am sure. She says it just feels funny, not as secure but she's getting better with them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back