Parents Lots of prayers please !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My daughter has been complaining of foot and ankle pain for a couple weeks but only with certain movements , one being tumbling backwards so the coach had her taking it easy and then when she tried Monday to back tumble again , she was still having pain even after resting it so off to the orthopedic and he is 90% sure after exam she has a fracture at the growth plate where the tibia meets the ankle . We are scheduled to have an MRI Friday . She's in a boot for 4 weeks :( she's right in the middle of competition season so she's probably done for the year. She is so crushed . She can take the boot off to do bars with no dismount. She's 11 year old level 9... Hoping for a speedy recovery and she will come back stronger than ever. I would appreciate all your thoughts n prayers! Thanks!

Sending supportive thoughts to you and your DD. Glad she can still do bars with the team. I'm sure she will be doing lots of upper body strength work for the next few weeks which will help her in the long run. If (when) she gets frustrated have her think of goals to accomplish while she is injured. Possibly decreasing her time climbing the rope or adding to the number of pull ups she can do. I'm sure her coach can help her write out some that are achievable but not easy.

Sometimes you have to make do with the hand you're dealt, and being limited to spending time on bars may be a big help farther down the road.

Yes I second the Bars and more bars and then more bars...

That sounds so frustrating! My dd just came back from a hand issue and her legs got so strong during that month off that her tumbling is much more powerful (according to her). I imagine it will be the same, but opposite for your dd. it is never a bad thing to have more time on bars, right?

Yes , the bar work will be great for her . Level 9!bars is brutal . I'm just concerned that this will weaken this ankle for good but the dr says she's so young they bounce back and heal so quick . Praying the MRI doesn't show anything worse that what they are thinking . My other daughter whose a gymnast is a senior in her last year , so glad it wasn't her. My 11 year old has many years ahead hopefully . I'm having a hard time keeping her down ! This is her first major injury., those with experience ,how do you keep them from not going crazy ? She can't sit still! Her coach wants her to come the same hours so she stays connected and lots of conditioning n flexibility which is hood ! We will still go to the meets too n cheer on her teammates.

She's young so that's good. 4 weeks isn't really that long in the scheme of things, and this may make her really motivated for next year!! Wishing complete and speedy recovery!

The time will pass more quickly than you realize. One word of caution--at least for my daughter, the healing time always ended up being longer than they originally told us. She broke her foot in three places when she was 11 yrs too (surgery to place a pin and everything) and the ortho told us at the beginning one time--it ended up being longer, BUT she broke her foot the middle of December but still competed by the end of February and competed at State that year too (was planning on level 9 that year, but did 8 instead). So don't write off her entire year yet. (and good God, that was a long, run on sentence LOL!)

Ask the doc if there are mild range of motion and mild strength exercises (for her ankle) she can do during the 4 week misery tour.

Prayers....and hang in there - we had a level 9 crush both bones in her lower leg right before Nationals a few years back....she's doing college gym now. It was great to watch her come back, and your DD has more time than she did....

We are in a very similar situation. My nearly 10 year old broke the navicular bone in her foot on 14 December after taking a routine fall from bars (from handstand during giants). She is in a full weight bearing cast which is due to come off next Friday.

When she first did it i just assumed that would be her out until the cast was off, so was initially surprised when the coach asked if she would be in the next day. I've got to say it was the best decision we made! It took away the fear factor of going back and I have been amazed at just what she has been able to do whilst in her cast.

She is doing lots of strength work (who needs ankle weights when you've got a cast) lots of bars and even some floor beam work - tumbling and vault are off the cards just or now ;-). Her coaches and gym friends have been amazing and she is happier at gym than she has been in a long time.

I agree with the earlier comment that it will take longer to heal than we first thought. The doctor who put her in a cast gave us the impression that after the four weeks all would be fixed and that would be that. Given the discomfort she is still in I think this unlikely - I feel she's still got a long way to go. We are in the uk so don't have seasons but everyone's aim is that she will still be able to grade at the beginning of March.

Hope the MRI brings some clarity for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back