Make a beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi,
I would love to make a beam , i won't do any dangerous things on it only stuff like cartwheels and spins :) I'm sure i would use it because i have alot of time sitting around :L
Also, i only want it on the floor. Not off ground more than a few cm.
the problem is, I don't know how to make it :(
Can someone tell me? and what i would need.
Or would it be easier to save up and buy one??

It would be possible to make a beam, but much easier to buy one. You might find one on Craigslist or Ebay for a reasonable price. Your only problem might be getting it. I did make dd a floor beam years ago, and I used a 4 x 4 from the local building supply store. I added 'feet' to keep it a few inches off the ground and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet. It worked fine but it wasn't the exact size of a real beam and it required some tools and a little bit of knowledge of woodworking. Also, I might add that it only got used for a year to 2 and it has been gathering dust in the basement ever since. Good luck!

I agree with gymdad2. I just checked home depot and a 4X4, 8 inch is around $22.00. Then you have to buy the suede to cover it and a little batting/matting. You may need, nails, glue gun, etc. After you buy all the materials, you are looking at over $50 unassembled. It may be more prudent for you to ask your parents to buy you one (or Santa?). The beam store has an 8 inch beam for around $60. Ebay has foam beams for $85, floor beams around $110.00, etc. Also, if you want you can get a Tiffin 10 inch balance beam for $20.00. This is just a strip of 1/4 to 1/2 inch vinyl you roll on the floor. They also have this in ebay. It might be all you need to practice your cartwheels. It is certainly cheaper than making a balance bean. Have fun!

Thanks, I'm not american but ive looked on ebay ( they are around £130!!! )

Oops! Sorry. I keep forgetting this is an international website. Have you check on the vinyl balance beam strip? They are much cheaper but then again they are just a strip of material you lay on the floor. Sorry, I could not help you.

We have made them. We can make one for about 15 to 20 bucks. Our coach learned how to do it when she went with the girls to the LSU gym camp and saw what the LSU girls used. The coaching staff there builds them. Wood-the correct width-three or 4 single boards wood glued together and then we used duck tape (seriously), then buy a few yards of the cheap blue carpet. Cut and staple on. These work great for skills like you are talking about and are very easy to do.

DD has one that hubby made... similiar to this one
valbeam-279x203.jpg

He went into gym and measured the beam there to get the exact width... we haven't covered it with suede, he sanded it extremely well and then did a coat of mat varnish. Planned to cover it with yoga mats and then suede, but DD says it is fine as is.

Beam has gone from being dd's worst event to her best event since having it to practice on. She only does very simple skills, turns, leaps, jumps, handstands etc on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back