Parents Mean spirited parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last night at the final practice before the meet, the parents were all there. Some of these women are so mean. Just cruel. You would think that at their ages jealousy would be over. As I have explained to my 10 year old about her age group, mean words come from jealousy. The jeaslousy comes from there own lack of opinion about themselves. SO don't dwell on it and try to be understanding. So much harder to do then to say. Some of these comments about kids that weren't there children(remember there are only 10 kids on team). "Gawd, she is so loosey goosey. These coaches can't coach. My chld better place or we aren't wasting our money here. Look at her, she can't even do that right." I tuned most of it out. That was in about 5 minutes. This went on for 2 hours. They refer to different girls as Girl. Not by name. 10 girls are on team. I know they know their names. It is demeaning. These are the same ones that comment on the fact our girls have different leos. I am truly hoping that they will move on once their girls have a couple of bad meets. Oh, and they said they aren't going to be "gym moms" and tell there kids to point there toes. This was a dig at another mom who was a competitive gymnast growing up. As I said, it is from jealousy about their own children's lack of ability. Most of them can't do a pull over on bars or back hip circle. The gymnast mommy's daughter just got her pull over and is being pulled to work with the older girls. I am really hoping after this meet they will settle down and see the reality of the situation. Til then I keep my mouth closed. But it is soooo annoying!

Picking jaw up off of the floor.

Awful. I just don't understand people like that. I mean really, what does it accomplish?

I can't even imagine other parents being so mean. If I heard this, the head coach or gym manager would be hearing about it. This kind of stuff needs to be stopped before it starts.

Thanks you all! :) I thought it was crazy too. I have spoken to the owner before. She is very aware of the situation and knows in time they will move on. She said the ring leader is acting out because her hubby lost his job. I am trying to be patient. I don't want to be near these women. If it continues, I will tell them to stop it. ;) I am just glad the girls don't hear it. Thankfully, my daughters are at higher levels.

Megan

Speechless. This is not acceptable. If they said one word to me about a chld other than theirs I would tell them to keep a civil tongue in their heads. But you know me eh???

This is terrible. The previous post to this, on jeolousy also touched on some of these issues.

It may be appropriate for the head coach/coach to step in, if this type of discussion is a regular event.

Hopefully none of the comments are repeated in the home!

:) Thanks you all! There are 2 of them that are really bad about saying things. They are tacky. I do imagine they are saying this kind of stuff to their children as their children are just like the parents. The ring leaders daughter was the 11 year old pushing 5 and 6 year olds off the beam the other night. I am really trying to stay out of it and ignore them. It won't help anyone if I get involved in the behavior that is like this. My thoughts are that reality will hit after this weekend-their first meet. Like I said, hopefully, they will move on to the last gym in the area. There are only 3 in the area. They are now at gym number 2. I will not be sitting by these ladies at any of the meets. I do not want to be associated with them.

Megan

Wow I am glads the parents at our gym do not act like that,I do not know if I could take it. Another good reason why parents do not need to be watching practice.

LOL-no drinking that I am aware of.
I think they will self distruct after this weekend. As I mentioned before, their daughters are competiting level one this weekend. Not a single one of them can do a pull over and only about 2 of them can do a back hip circle. The scores will be low. On beam half of them can't do the candlestick and the others can't stand up on the beam. It isn't going to be pretty.

Megan

OMG they are L1 and their parents are acting like that??? I am really gobsmacked.

O would also choose to sit far away from them, they really are riduculous. Those poor children, it must be awful to be such a disappointment .

Like Bog - L1 parents !!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, why are they being taken to a meet if they cannot do the skills for that level ????

They must really not like gymnastics or be stressed about the money or time involved or something, but feel pressured to let their daughters do the program. ? Doesn't excuse the behavior.

Honestly, I think these parents will weed out eventually. Some will either move up, move to others gyms, or their DD's (who are being pushed my mom) will quit. We are almost done with our 3rd yr of competition. I guess my DD is not the subject of that too much since she is one of the lower scores on the team so I guess nobody is jealous (LOL) but at the same time after a couple years they may start to see other girls who are bette,r and just realize there are those that are just blessed with talent and the harsh cruel words doesn't change the fact that they are always going to be better. Some parents are naturally more competative than others...we moved gyms last Summer and this new group of parents I am with I have never heard any remarks against other team girls. As they get older and higher up it seems to get better, so hang in there, stay away from them and you will be the better person.

maybe the coaches or team director needs to send all parents a reminder of competition etiquette??
If a generic reminder doesn't work, then the head coach needs to address the specific parent causing the trouble

UGH!! we have had parents like that and they have left Yippee!!

However, we have a couple now who yell at the coach because the girls are getting low meet scores. UGH!

A couple of these girls were told they may want to repeat their past level but the moms put up such a stink coaches said ok move up but be aware scores will be low.

Guess what they are low scores and these girls moms are now mad. Our poor coach was so upset yesterday after being yelled at after a meet again she wanted to quit.

She ended up talking to the head coach/owner who said he is done with these moms they can either be respectful or leave. Like now not end of the season. Wow was he mad!!

It never pays to be mean to the coach ugh!! She is also such a sweet coach i can not even imagine yelling at her.

Bottom line they exsist in all sports and all gyms and YES they do leave eventually and become known as "gym jumpers" by the 3rd gym they go too.

Hang in there and stay away from them they will weed themselves out.

By about 2nd year level 7 or 8 parents become more laid back they have been there years and just want a good injury free meet.

This is unbelievable! How appalling. Our HC and gym owners would not put up with this. And, I bet you're right; those poor girls are probably hearing this negativity and mean-spiritedness from their moms on the way the way home from gym and at home, and so are absorbing it and may decide to model their behavior after it. Sad all around . . . If I were you, I'd bring it up again to the owner so he/she is aware of how often this occurs. Hopefully, as you said, it may get better after this weekend, but, on the other hand, maybe they will have more cause to be jealous then.

And I thought it was bad when L3 parents act out. But the worst I have seen from a few of our parents doesn't hold a candle to this.

Stay away from them, far, far away.

In one ear and out the other. That's how I would deal with this. We have a couple mom's who are like that but not many, thank goodness.

I've heard remarks from some of the rec parents (between themselves) regarding Pixie being "way too young" to be on team. But I just laugh and don't ever say anything about it because I know their statements come from ignorance. Ingnorance in believing that just because she is so much smaller than all the others that she must be younger.

I don't stay at the practices as much as I used to so I don't hear it as often. I rather enjoy the peace of mind I get not being subjected to it all on a daily basis. I also enjoy being surprised by all the new things Pixie learns when I am not there. Pixie and I laugh about how much she learns when I don't watch her, lol! It's become a running joke now. :D

I am dying to know how they got on at the meet and are they still complaining at practice this week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back