Parents Meet Hair for a 15 year old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has her state competition next weekend and she is currently 15 years old. She always has problems with her hair. Her her is extremely long and thick and she refuses to cut it. When I do a bun on her she tells me it gives her head aches and a pony tail whips her in the face. The last meet she did her best at we put it in a curly ponytail is seemed to work but im worried next time it will bother her. Any other hairstyles that would be good. or tips for a better bun/curly ponytail. Which would be better

My DD had the same problem, plus extra curly to boot. Her coaches made her cut it so her ponytail wasn't so long. She whined a bit but is happier in the long run. Every hairstyle we tried either had too many flyaways, was too long, or DD hated it...this solution worked for us.

My dd prefers a french braid. Sometimes 2, sometimes 3 (1 going up from the base of the neck). I find the french braid to help keep the long hair out of the way. The older girls at our gym always do the braid from the base of the neck up, and into a "messy" bun with a bow.

Ponytail, split it into 3 sections and do 3 braids. Then these can be wrapped around the base of the pony to resemble a bun, and held with elastics and tons of spray and the scrunchie. It appears as a bun but isn't quite as tight or headache inducing.

Dd has hair down to her lower back and is thick. I put her hair in a pony tail, split it into six pieces and braid each one, banding the bottom if each separately. Then I fold the braids in half (under) and secure them to the pony with another band. I leave enough free hair at the end of the braids so that they form a thin layer of wisps down her neck. I really like this style because it shortens her hair by braiding and folding. It is also unique. I have only seen a few other girls with it. We primarily stick to this one style for her pony and switch up what to do with the top of the head (spider web, small French braid, corn rows). But for her last meet, I braided the braids (paired 2 for each of the three parts) and then folded under. It held together better (didn't flop around as much).

Dd makes her own buns for practice by braiding her pony and then wrapping. I am not fond of buns so I prefer other styles for meets.

Btw, we always have to do something with the top of her head too - French braid, spider webs, simple braids

My dd prefers a french braid. Sometimes 2, sometimes 3 (1 going up from the base of the neck). I find the french braid to help keep the long hair out of the way. The older girls at our gym always do the braid from the base of the neck up, and into a "messy" bun with a bow.

I was timing bar falls at a meet a couple weeks ago and whole team of level 8s had their hair like this and the judges hated it. I couldn't believe how much they were focusing on how they hated the messy bun. Our girls actually aren't allowed to wear a messy bun to a meet because it looks sloppy. I think 2 French braids would work well for long thick hair, I wish I knew how to do them.

I was timing bar falls at a meet a couple weeks ago and whole team of level 8s had their hair like this and the judges hated it. I couldn't believe how much they were focusing on how they hated the messy bun. Our girls actually aren't allowed to wear a messy bun to a meet because it looks sloppy. I think 2 French braids would work well for long thick hair, I wish I knew how to do them.

I have heard this here in Canada and every gym's opinion on this is tight hair = tight gymnastics. Even ponytails are distracting and frowned upon.

Ponytail, split it into 3 sections and do 3 braids. Then these can be wrapped around the base of the pony to resemble a bun, and held with elastics and tons of spray and the scrunchie. It appears as a bun but isn't quite as tight or headache inducing.

This is the way we are told to do hair for comps here! My dd has hair to her bottom and this works well!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Have a look at Princess hair on the web - she has loads of tutorials on braids plus some great hair ideas - she will talk you through them.

'margo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back