WAG Meet Hair Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very interesting MBJ. My DD's coaches are picky about the girls competitive leotards for very similar reasons. They won't select any leotard that cuts across the body in a weird way or has a lot of swirls or busy patterns. Their rationale is that anything that cuts the body or detracts from the gymnast's lines is not as pleasing to the eye. They go for looks that are more symmetrical and make the girl's lines look longer and cleaner. The girls also have to wear buns for much the same reason. I do have to say I really like the way the bun looks with our solid black, blingy leos. It's a very classic look.

Hmmm...I must be the anomaly. I LOVE doing meet hair and would be so sad if our team had a required style. Buns and ponies don't work because my child has a backward roll on the beam. So this year, I've been very challenged to come up with 8-11 hairstyles (each meet gets a different style) that have no bulges in the back.

We have a ballerina gymnast who does some amazing braids and loops with her ultra long hair. All the littles seem to really like "pineappling". But the big girls seem to fall back on the old reliable ponytail.
YG's first season, it was always 2 french braids. Last season, it was pineappling or french braids. This season, it has been pony tails, but only because she is too tired in the morning (competing first with a 2+ hour drive, she likes to sleep on the way and sleeping in the car messes up meet hair, lol). However, this next meet, we are getting a hotel room the night before. It's only a 10 minute drive to the meet and i HOPE she can stay awake for that, lol... sooooo, we might get a french braid (her hair is getting so long, I have to do something).

Try doing her hair and then covering it with a hat/cap. Dd and I butt heads a lot while I do her hair, so we have found that doing her hair the evening before (with gel and hairspray) and then covering it and letting her sleep in it works MUCH better for us. Less stress on meet day and it looks really nice in the morning. A quick little touch up with spray and glitter and she's all set to go!

Try doing her hair and then covering it with a hat/cap. Dd and I butt heads a lot while I do her hair, so we have found that doing her hair the evening before (with gel and hairspray) and then covering it and letting her sleep in it works MUCH better for us. Less stress on meet day and it looks really nice in the morning. A quick little touch up with spray and glitter and she's all set to go!
The night before definitely wouldn't work for us... she is a "toss-n-turn" champion... she can't manage to keep anything on her head (bt/dt)... I consider it a good night if she keeps her pj bottoms on all night (in her sleep she will wiggle out of them... but wears shorts underneath - I know it happens in her sleep because I have stayed up all night, just watching her before). It might work for OG though... so may try it for her!

My gym has a different required hairstyle each season. My first year competing it was a side part with two french braids into a ponytail. Last year it was a poof with two french braids on the sides into a ponytail with curls and this year it is one braid into a bun

No requirements at our gym due to various hair lengths/styles. I am terrible about doing hair but have since learned my lesson and invested in gel and products. I did not have my daughter's hair shellacked down for one of our meets, and the wispies were coming out everywhere. I can't prove it, but I swear she might have gotten deductions for messy hair. It was her worst meet. I really need a hair styling tutorial!

wow. im glad my gym doesnt have certain hairstyles for meets. only that it is secure away from the face, and we were told (yes we are in pa) that the hair cannot touch their nose during their routine. by DD's hair is very fine, so I usually do a little ponies on top and run them all together into a bun in the back. hairspray and glitter. Lately however I found a small topsy tail thingie and have been doing her hair like that, in small ones all over her head in a neat fashion..Looks amazing and have had many compliments on it.

wow. im glad my gym doesnt have certain hairstyles for meets. only that it is secure away from the face, and we were told (yes we are in pa) that the hair cannot touch their nose during their routine. by DD's hair is very fine, so I usually do a little ponies on top and run them all together into a bun in the back. hairspray and glitter. Lately however I found a small topsy tail thingie and have been doing her hair like that, in small ones all over her head in a neat fashion..Looks amazing and have had many compliments on it.
Last meet, I WANTED to do a topsy tail thing on YG... take her long bangs and put in a small pony... topsy tail that... then take that plus hair above the ears and put in a small pony... topsy tail that... then take that plus the rest of her hair in a small pony and topsy tail that... then put her team scrunchy right below the last topsy tail. She was too exhausted from not being able to get to sleep until well after 11:30 pm and having to wake up at 5:20 am and out the door by 5:48 am.

We don't have a specific style requirement, but it must be out of the face and off the neck. My dd has done various styles. She doesn't like the one bun because she does a roll in her floor routine. Her favorite is probably the princess lea buns.

One thing I've noticed is that the buns look so much cleaner and the visual of longer lines is there. Also, ponytails really emphasize every single bobble on beam.

Our coaches like a high ponytail as it elongates the neck and 'swishes' well during dance. It's up to us whether we braid across the front or just scrape it back as long as there are no wispy bits at all. I stick a huge lump of gel on the brush and just brush it back till its solid!

My daughter's gym require her to have her hair pulled right back at all times; no wisps around her hairline and no ponytails long enough to reach her face. Most of the girls wear a donut bun shaper and scrunchies. Bobby pins are not allowed at her gym.

My daughter has a mass of spiral curls that reaches to her mid back when loose, and her waist when pulled straight. I have become very skilled in the art of creating styles high enough on the head to not be obstructive, secure enough in the crafting that they have no chance of collapsing and pretty enough to appease my daughter's wish to look pretty and tidy enough to keep the coaches (and the judges) happy.

I use a combination of braids, twists and mini ponytails that feed back into a high bun. I find what is needed most are logic, patience and a kid who sits still. Oh, and a ton of hairbands.

I thought I had meet hair sussed. A high bun or her preferred option of a high ponytail, 3 plaits and then looped. But the loops are now too long, but won't loop twice without looking daft. And the bun is a problem for her grades because she has to do a forward roll on the beam and it seems to be affecting her. So I get to try 2 french plaits and then have to work out what to do with the ends. She's too old for 2 buns otherwise I'd be tempted to just do that.

I think the 'high' whatever and the long neck thing make sense. My DD often looks the most 'professional' when they walk out on the floor. Unfortunately the judges can tell the difference once the routines start :)

for us it just has to be up and out of our faces. also cant have bobbypins or loose items that could fall out. its fine if its a little bit in your face as long as you dont blow at it or swipe at it. my team however usually has some sort of braid in it and lots of hairspray is used:)

I'm looking for it Margo. I remember wondering if that would work or whether DD's hair would be too long. I did a crown braid for practice tonight. It was okay, but didn't last well enough when they did lots of tumbling. But then I only had one grip to hold it in place as she had forgotten to pack those and we went straight from school.

Found it! She's a bit worried that it will feel weird, but if I try and minimise the skipping rope bit at the back and take it a bit further forward it might work. I am going to try it for practice tomorrow. Grades for us are only a week on Sunday and I want to find something she is comfortable with.

I sort of wish our gym did uniform hair. Mostly because it would save me from having my DD change her mind a million times about what kind of hair she wants each weekend. She goes to meets sees something she loves and totally expects me to replicate it. I have spent more time on youtube looking at hair this season then I care to admit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back