Parents Meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
So, Kathy qualified for sectionals today so we don't have to worry about whether they end up changing the scores from her last meet (see "the meet from... heck" thread if you don't know what I'm talking about). Her vault score has been edging up meet by meet. Her first one was only a 4.8. Then it was a 6 something. Then a 7.6, 7.8, and today she got an 8! Very exciting! The biggest thrill was her bar routine. She scratched the first meet and then scored in the 6's for the next three. Today everything came together for her and she got an 8.4 and placed 3rd! Wow! :D

For the down-side, she was consistantly scoring in the mid-to-upper 8's on floor and beam for the first 3 meets and now she's down in the 7's. Not sure what to make of that? She was looking so good on beam at practice yesterday too. I thought that maybe she had a shot at a 9 today. But then she fell after her cartwheel, and that shot her confidence to heck and afterwards she was wobbly. And I don't know what happened on floor... botched her back extension roll, and some of her other tumbling passes that she's had for months are looking less confident. Growth spurt maybe? I don't know!:confused:

Well, anyway, she qualified for sectionals and placed on bars and beam, so we'll call it a good day! If she can keep those scores on bars and vault and could get back the scores she was getting at the beginning of the season on floor and beam, she could conceivably qualify for states! But I suppose this sport is all about "woulda, coulda, shoulda," isn't it?

Congrats to her for qualifying. It must be a huge relief to get that out of the way.

Congrats on qualifying for sectionals!!!! WTG on improving on bars and vault :) I am sure her beam and floor will come back together, sometimes they are just "off"

Wow--that's awesome that she qualified!!! Congrats!!! And BIG congrats to her for working really hard and pulling up those scores!!! Don't worry about floor and beam scores slipping a bit, those events will come back together at the next meet. And with beam--you never know what will happen because it is only 4 inches wide!!!!

Yeah!!! Congratulations to Kathy for qualifying & for coming so far with bars since her 1st meet!!!! As for lower scores on the other events, maybe she did have a growth spurt? Or maybe she just been concentrating & putting so much effort into bars that she needed to relax her effort a bit on the others.

I know with my DD when she is really stuggling fighting to get a certain skill(event) mastered, sometimes the other go down a bit. I figure she only has so much physical and MENTAL strength to spread around & sometimes she just needs let the others go a bit to make progress on one. Thankfully she always pulls them ALL together in the end...but it is process. A process that gives her coaches & I gray hair:rolleyes:. Hopefully the great bar score & qualifying this weekend will give Kathy the mental boost she needs to pull it all together:)! Keep up the great work Kathy!!!!:D

I know with my DD when she is really stuggling fighting to get a certain skill(event) mastered, sometimes the other go down a bit.

I suppose that makes sense. That's what they tell you when they're babies, isn't it? That when they're learning something new, like walking, some of the things that they've already started doing, like saying words, might fall by the wayside. Maybe it's true with gymnastics too!:) Lucky for us she has walking and talking down cold...;)

WTG to Kathy. Sounds like she had a great meet. And how wonderful that she qualified for sectionals. Now there is no more worry on that front. And she should be sooo proud of herself for bringing that vault up like that. The bars as well. The others will return im sure. She should be so proud of herself.

I suppose that makes sense. That's what they tell you when they're babies, isn't it? That when they're learning something new, like walking, some of the things that they've already started doing, like saying words, might fall by the wayside. Maybe it's true with gymnastics too!:) Lucky for us she has walking and talking down cold...;)

Congrats to dd. And it is pretty normal for some events or skills to slide a bit while the gymnast focuses on other events or skills. It will all come together - hopefully for her state meet!!

Big congrats to Kathy on qualifying to sectionals. I honestly doubt that the state association would go back and change scores for an entire meet or session. This way she knows SHE did it on her own. Great improvements on vault and bars.
I agree with GJM--many times when they are struggling on an event or spending a little more time on it in practice something else "gives." In your dd's case sounds like she and her coaches have been pushing hard to get vault/bars scoring well and sometimes the focus on the other 2 events drops for a short period. Now, she knows she can hit all 4 events, so watch out next meet.

MaryA--love your outlook on the sport--"woulda, coulda, shoulda." We can play those mind games forever and drive ourselves/kids nuts. You just have to take each meet as it comes and then let it go.

Congrats to your dd for qualifying for sectionals! And also for her perserverence on vault and bars. Looking forward to the post that she's qualified for States!

Congrats to her for qualifying and for bringing up her vault and bar scores. Now at least she knows she did it on her own and nobody has to question about the meet with the low scores you can put it in the past. I doubt they will change those scores anyway. Good luck to her a sectionals with the progress she has made from her 1st meets it sounds like she has a very good chance in qualifying!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back