Parents Meet Scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

klv8

Proud Parent
I'm very new to this gymnastics thing, and I know almost nothing about meet scores, etc. If you were choosing a gym and wanted to get an idea of overall where they are at competitively, what scores would you look for? I have found the meet scores for the gyms in our area, but I don't necessarily know what numbers I should be looking for, or what should be concerning to me.

Second question: do you find that there is a big age range of kids competing in each level, or do kids tend to be somewhat close in age if they are competing in a specific level?

I'd look at your level (your dd 's level) first...team scores, level individual scores (are they all scoring well it is there great disparity).
Then look at other levels (above your dd) to see what the "future" looks like there.
It may also be interesting if your dd is an optional to check out some of the girls past scores -all home grown or a mix of transfers.

The age is harder and varies a lot from region to region, but you can tell a bit is all the level x's are all in Jr a. Or are they spread out over all 4 age groups. (Each meet uses different groupings but you can get the idea of spread out or clumped)

You want to see good scores (35+) at the higher levels - like 8, 9, 10. And you want it to be for more than just one or 2 extremely talented kids - like a level 9 team of 7+ total girls all getting above a 35 is a good gym IMO. Then when you click on most of those girls you want to see that most of them have been at that gym since at least level 4 or 5. Scores that have went UP as the kids advanced through the levels is a bonus.

I think age diversity of the gymnasts is a positive thing cause it shows that they know how to develop and work w/ kids of all ages and body types - most kids don't stay teeny tiny forever and you don't want a gym that will give up on your kid once they hit puberty.

Significant scratching (scores of 0 on some events when other events have scores) at the higher levels is kind of a red flag cause it could mean a lot of injuries and/or fear issues at that gym. If it's just one or two girls no big deal, but when more than half the team is scratching one or more events that's a cause for concern IMO. I'd almost rather see lower AA's than lots of scratches, but that's my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back