WAG Mobility scores..who checks them

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I am surprised to hear they are checked. It is good to hear that they are. Do they check the other end of the spectrum also? Kids who easily meet the requirements and are held back to help the gym, or themselves, win. There are gyms who hold kids back for a second season at a level because they may got a 36.5 at states but didn’t make the podium, only to come back a second season so they can score that 38.5 and put that win on their resume. That also seems unjust.
USAG does not have mandate scores where moving up is required. The gymnast may not be ready for the next level, no matter how well they do at their current level.
Our YMCA "Zone" (region) used to have mandate scores, so we had girls moving up (using current levels for simplicity) to level 4 that didn't have a kip and/or were afraid of going over the vault. The year they ended it, we had a L7 that would have mandated to L8, but she was still scared of vault. At most meets, she balked once or twice ... but when she actually went over the vault, her scores were in the 9s every time. She had asked the coach about moving to L8 (because she knew it would have been a mandate) ... but keeping all of her L7 routines on every event. L8 would NOT have been good for her.

USAG does not have mandate scores where moving up is required. The gymnast may not be ready for the next level, no matter how well they do at their current level.
Our YMCA "Zone" (region) used to have mandate scores, so we had girls moving up (using current levels for simplicity) to level 4 that didn't have a kip and/or were afraid of going over the vault. The year they ended it, we had a L7 that would have mandated to L8, but she was still scared of vault. At most meets, she balked once or twice ... but when she actually went over the vault, her scores were in the 9s every time. She had asked the coach about moving to L8 (because she knew it would have been a mandate) ... but keeping all of her L7 routines on every event. L8 would NOT have been good for her.
Yes, a kid could be amazing at one level and still not be ready for the next level. I've seen kids who were winning States and Regionals but just couldn't get next level skills. I remember being kind of shocked by kids who won everything through level 8 and then were done when I assumed they would be strong D1 recruits. The best thing to do is not worry too much about what other kids or gyms are doing and just focus on if your kid is happy with the path they are on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back