WAG More common- Back Walkover/Back Walkover or Back Walkover/BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Which tends to be the more common series for level 6 or 7, the back walkover/back walkover with BHS separate or the back walkover/back handspring series with no extra bhs? DD already has the BWO/BWO and separate BHS and is connecting the BWO/BSH on the floor beam. Just wondering when each series gets used.

We saw a lot of bwo/bwo at the beginning of the season but more bwo/bhs by states. This is really going to depend on what area of the country you are in and whether you are competing in big vs small meets

I agree that you see a lot more BWO/BWO at the beginning of the season. The BWO BHS is "more impressive" but it is not necessary in level 7.

I'd guess the bwo series is the more common of the two, but feel that's the result of expectations being based on worry rather than optimism. Be optimistic..... i'll be the easy route for a long haul kid to take.

Thanks. It does seem that the BWO/BWO is kind of the stepping stone to the BWO/BHS. I am not sure which DD will be doing. BWO/BWO has been down for several months so that one for sure. We'll see where the BWO/BHS is by Dec/Jan when we actually start competing. We have plenty of time. Just curious as what every one else does. It seems at our gym it is whichever one they currently have :)

depend on the gymnast too. Dd felt more confident with her bwo/bhs series than the other. She didn't like the slowness of the 2 bwo. Also less room for deductions compared to doing the bwo series and then bhs. Of course, that is relative to whether they can compete a consistent bwo/bhs series.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

There's also something about not repeating skills -- the BWO BWO may be a little easier, but if you miss the connection, you can't redo it. At their first L7 meet, one of DD's teammates set up to do the BWO BWO but wobbled and stopped after the first BWO -- and had the presence of mind and courage to go for a BWO-BHS shortly afterward.

DD just finished Lv 6- don't think we ever saw a combination on beam. Most did just BWO or BHS some Round Offs. Looking forward to 7/8 with more beam skills required. Fun to watch

My experience this year is that most level 7's do a bwo bhs. I see the substitution skills sometimes too, but the majority are going for the bwo bhs IMO. Our gym made a series ending in a handspring (either bwo bhs, bhs bhs) a strict requirement for L7 this season.

I've rarely, if ever, see any type of "series" in level 6 beam. Most girls either do a single bwo or a single backhandspring, and I've even seen some routines that only have a cartwheel (which gosh, I didn't even realize met the requirements, but I guess it does).

At our gym it depends on the gymnast. Our L6 team does mostly BWO, but all are able to do BHS on at least the low bar - only a few girls compete BHS. L7 has the same philosophy the goal is BHS/BHS but whatever can be competed consistently and safely will likely be done.

If you want to start a new thread on this, go for it. GG replied to a thread from 2013. Let's keep discussion a little more current please.

At my DD gym, all the level 5's competed BHS on the beam. My DD says they have been working on BWO BHS and will probably be doing them for level 6/7.

Our gym depends on the kid. Some BWO BWO, some BWO BHS. Depends where they are at.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back