Moving up or not??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
This time of year drives me a little crazy but it seems to have started early this year. In question, who will move to the next level and who won't. So many rumors and gossip and speculation from parents it is a bit maddening. It leaves me to wonder, how does this make the child feel?? If all they hear is mom or dad talking about moving up do they not then feel like a failure if they don't move up? My guess is most gymnasts want to move up on their own anyway so I sincerely doubt all this non sense some parents participate in is helpful. I wish for the sake of the kids parents would relax a bit.

Agreed. I think most kids handle the news that they're not moving up with a little disappointment but come through just fine as long as the parents don't turn it into something big.

We're 90% sure that DD isn't moving up and DS is, so we are framing it for both of them: DD will have a second year at L6 in which she will be solid on floor and vault, good to very good on bars, and outstanding on beam, and she's finally going to win some medals; DS is not going to be coming home from every meet with a gym bag full of bling, but he'll have a great time testing out the new skills he'll learn this summer. New challenges, new opportunities, new skills for both. It's all good.

We tried to convey to DD that there were advantages to both moving up and repeating. The moving up side is an easier argument because it seems to be an inherent goal. By repeating, you have a chance to get ahead - you'll have more experience, you'll be more polished and you'll be more ready for when you do go to the next level. Repeating will (potentially) make you more successful at the next level, and will probably lead to your being happier, because the next level will come easier with that extra experience and polish.

Sounds crazy, but DD got it and was happy to repeat last year, and she herself used the same logic when there was talk about her skipping a level.

My dd is chomping at the bit. Her current coach said she was moving up, but the "head honcho" coach has not sent out the official news yet. I explained that regionals are this weekend, and I am sure the news will come soon. I do know that the devo group that is moving up to level 4 has already been given the news and their start date of May 1st. I have often tried to figure out why all the secrecy behind move ups. A parent suggested that it was to prevent gymnasts from leaving prior to annual booster club dues payment completion in the event a gymnast was not happy with the decision. It makes business sense- but I would hate to think that is the reason. I want to believe that this time is used to give some "on the fence" gymnasts a chance to prove their mettle in the final push before notice is final.

I think gymnasts probably put enough stress on themselves as it is - I can't imagine why parents can't restrain themselves from speculating about it, especially in front of their kids. I also think that since kids are the ones in the gym, they will understand the why or the why not (even if they're not happy about it) much more than the parents. Even if they had wanted to "move up", I think they can usually see the logic behind a decision.

We know for a fact dd is not moving up this year, so there is no stress about it, which is nice. She has speculated to me about who in her group will be moved up, but at least she doesn't need to deal with it herself. I'm sure this is what's holding up the summer schedule, though, so I'm anxious for things to be hammered out soon...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back