WAG My coach treats me like a child

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey there! So I am 17 years old and going on 18 but my coach treats me like her 4 years old gymnasts and I hate it! I do work really hard in the gym to try to be the best I can but sometimes, my body can't handle one move or something. I'm able to know that, I mean I listen to my body. But my coach think I'm just trying to get out of things I don't want to do which I am not! I think I'm old enough and mature enough to know when my body can't take it anymore. Is it normal that my coache treats me like that? Should I try to talk to her about it?

Last edited:
did you not post this also?

"
[h=2]Pressure[/h]
Hi everyone! I am the type of person that put a lit of pressure on myself and I expect a lot of myself especially in gymnastics. When I work really hard on a skill and can't make it right, I get really frustrated and upset and start beating myself up to a point where I am having trouble concentrating on my gymnastics. Is it normal that I am feeling that way? Does anyone have any tips for me on how to control my emotions while in the gym so I can stay focus? I really can't keep doing gymnastics like that it's way too frustrated so if anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it!"

maybe it's just me...taking these posts of yours together doesn't sound like a gymnast almost 18 years old. something is not consistent here. that's all.

I don't understand what you mean. Why do you say that my posts aren't consistent? And by the way, yes, I really am 17 years old.

idk, i don't coach gymnastics, but i do coach football speed, track and olympic lifting. i have a lot of teenage athletes and also some adults (!) who at the beginning act a bit like this.
girls respond to being exhausted and/or not getting things as perfect as they would like them to be and/or being afraid to do something they are asked to do (often in olylifting when heavy loads are involved and you have to jump *under* them, then secure the bar overhead before it crashes down on you...) *and* want to do with being upset.
boys tend to get aggressive and/or just give up (more often than the girls in my experience).
these behaviours might not be very "mature" but they are perfectly normal.
hublaur, just try to trust your coach. he/she wants your best. try to keep calm, breath, count to ten slowly, refocus, get a drink or something, and then try again. if you can't make it happen today, do what you can do today (progressions!) and move on (to the shower or to the next station or...). don't get emotionally attached to movements/skills etc. observe, be rational, improve, and - *most important* - work hard.
when your body says "i can't go on", this is most of the time (i am not speaking of injuries!) just your mind trying to make you stop the work. don't listen to it. just refuse to give up and keep going till you are done. that's an important part of being an athlete. if your coach believes you can do this or that, you *are* capable of doing it. trust is important!

I have been doing gymnastics with a new coach for only two weeks so the thing is she doesn't know my limits yet. Yesterday, we were doing some kind of workout and I really like couldn't breathe anymore (my mom thinks I have asthma but I don't have time to see a doctor) and she kept on pushing me to do it. I mean when I say I can't breathe, I think I know what I mean I'm not lying but she just didn't believe me.. And I had a migraine for the rest of the practice because I had work to hard basically couldn't do any more gymnastics.. I just want to say that it doesn't mean I am not pushin myself but I don't want to be pushing myself too much!

to be shure: see a doctor and get the asthma thing checked out... after that stop worrying so much. feeling like "i can't breath anymore" is normal when you are working hard. perhaps you are just hyperventilating. it's the job of your coach to push your limits. that is sometimes a painful process. pain is garantied, suffering is optional ;). trust your coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back