Parents My dd got hurt doing gymnastics....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twoofthem

She is fine now, had to miss a practice, ice herself and take it easy.
She was *so* mad and really, so I was I. She didn't do anything wrong and that's what is upsetting her so much. She was tumbling on the floor and doing a round off back tuck and just as she is in her tuck one of the coaches 2yo runs under her. My dd slammed into her, the baby screamed it was't pretty.

And this is why these little kids shouldn't be around these kids doing gymnastics. This little girl could have been hurt and so could my dd. Gymnatics has enough of its own risk that litttle kids running under foot don't need to be added.

Glad DD is ok......we had a coach years ago with kids in the gym it is a tough situation.

In the end owners asked Coach to have a teen the watch kids during practice it worked well. One of the team gymnasts siblings watched them. They could be at the gym close to mom but out of harms way. Maybe you could suggest this as a solution.

I'm glad your dd is okay. I would have been really mad, too, that sounds like a very unsafe situation. Does the coach still have the 2 yo in the gym? I think I would say something to the gym owner because you dd is lucky she didn't get more seriously hurt.

Ouch! This was a fear that I had last summer when DD's team practice was during the day. One of the practice days, there would also be kids on field trips dashing around everywhere. There were quite a few "near misses" which is why the HC decided to keep practices in the evening this summer (except Fridays). Glad that both kids are OK!

Ugh.. That is one of my serious pet peeves! It has happened before at our gym as well. I know coaching does not pay well but why does that give you the right to bring your toddler to work? It is a work place an unsafe for little kids work place to boot, not a daycare. Would you take your kid to the construction site if that is what you did for work? I would be angry if I were you too!

I hope your DD is better and that the gym corrects this issue! I would be livid...

This sounds like a HUGE liability for the gym! I can't imagine the gym owner would be happy about it. Your poor little one!

This happened at our gym too when my dd's coach could not find babysitting. It made all the parents nervous to see her 2 and 4 yos running around the gym while girls were vaulting and tumbling. My own dd mentioned how she was worried she would hurt one of them. The parents complained about it and the situation was resolved. I would say something to the gym owner if I were you. NOt acceptable.

that would not make me happy either, our coaches have had kids at the gym but only as long as thru the stretching (transistion to there husbands picking up kids, but they made sure they were gone when they were moving about!

also 1 time a parent was late getting the kid of the coach, the coach asked if team parent would watch the child in the hallway till they got there! Things happen but the coaches need to be more responsible! Im sure a parent would help if it were a non usual cercumstance!

I would not be happy either. My daughter will NOT tumble with people running around (like at open gyms), she is too afraid someone will run into her, etc. Even at the gym she will wait FOREVER to tumble if there are too many people in her vision line. I can imagine she would have freaked out in your DDs situation, feeling bad for hurting a 2 year old and probably even more scared to tumble with too many people around. Yikes.

While I am one to always have my kids with me, there are certain situations in which you can't have them there, so you either a) don't work there or b) find childcare. I would be speaking with the management. Very dangerous situation which could have turned out much worse. Hope your daughter heals fast.

I'm so sorry that this happen to your DD. This same situation is one of the reasons I switched my DD to another gym. Her coach had her 1 year old there at practice everyday. She would hold her WHILE spotting and then she'd make one of their stations on bars to watch her child. Um, I'm here for my DD to learn gymnastics not for her to babysit. She would let her crawl around under the beams while the girls were on beam. Not only is it not safe, but it takes away from the instructional time that the girls are getting. I don't know why people think that is acceptable. I would never in a million years think it was okay to take my child to work and try to teach and wrangle her. I'm pretty sure I posted about this back when it was happenning. What was strange to me was that the other parents on DD's team didn't seem to mind. During the summer they had extra practices that cost extra money. It was basically a private split between several girls and you had to sign up for them. I paid $60 for 2 hours and she brought her child. Not acceptable to me. I'm paying you to give my child attention and help.

Being a single mother, I honestly do understand about circumstances coming up that are beyond your control and that's okay with me. Everyday is not okay with me. The owner at this gym didn't care when it was brought to her attenion.

She is fine now, had to miss a practice, ice herself and take it easy.
She was *so* mad and really, so I was I. She didn't do anything wrong and that's what is upsetting her so much. She was tumbling on the floor and doing a round off back tuck and just as she is in her tuck one of the coaches 2yo runs under her. My dd slammed into her, the baby screamed it was't pretty.

And this is why these little kids shouldn't be around these kids doing gymnastics. This little girl could have been hurt and so could my dd. Gymnatics has enough of its own risk that litttle kids running under foot don't need to be added.

Reading this made me cringe! Your poor daughter and that poor baby! Neither of them is at fault here...hopefully the coach learned a lesson from this incident.

Ahh I hate when that happens!!! I'll be trying to tumble during open gym and little kids will keep running across the floor!! And most of them have their parents out on the floor with them, and the parents just let them run around and do whatever!

And on Saturday night I was at the gym for an open gym type thing, and there were some boys there that were probably in 8th grade. We were doing double backs into the pit and they kept running right in front of the pit when we started our run. And they were doing it on purpose! We were like, "If you don't stop doing that eventually we are going to hit you." And they responded with, "We don't care!" I'd like to see if they still don't care after we kick them in the head.. Sorry but that's one of my BIGGEST pet peeves!! Lol..

That sounds like such a scary situation. I'm so sorry that happened. Please let us know what your gym decides or decided to do.

Thank you all for your concerns. I'd love something to change but it isn't going to and there is no point in talking to anyone. I think all but the teenage help and one coach has children there at some point. The owners/HC have children they homeschool and therefore they are there all the time and have been since birth. My dd is feeling better but her foot is still a little sore.

Thank you all for your concerns. I'd love something to change but it isn't going to and there is no point in talking to anyone. I think all but the teenage help and one coach has children there at some point. The owners/HC have children they homeschool and therefore they are there all the time and have been since birth. My dd is feeling better but her foot is still a little sore.

I'm sorry this happened [and very glad your daughter is doing better]. I also think it's great for parents to be hands on parents, and awesome for us to expose our kids to our careers [and to expose them to other careers] but we need to think about safety issues when we do this. It sounds like the HC/owners need to invest in some childcare to at least keep their children out of a situation where they are getting hurt or hurting someone else while they are in the gym. I hope your gym comes up with some alternative to the current situation.

Huge pet peeve of mine having little ones running around gymnasts who are training. We used to be at a really overcrowded gym where there were tons of rec classes going on at the same time as team and the rec coaches never properly walked their young kids around the team girls who were training vault or floor, etc. It was like a hot mess and the rec kids were always running behind or in front of the upper level gymnasts. Many, many close calls and some girls who had falls or backed out of skills because of it. UNACCEPTABLE!

Huge pet peeve of mine having little ones running around gymnasts who are training. We used to be at a really overcrowded gym where there were tons of rec classes going on at the same time as team and the rec coaches never properly walked their young kids around the team girls who were training vault or floor, etc. It was like a hot mess and the rec kids were always running behind or in front of the upper level gymnasts. Many, many close calls and some girls who had falls or backed out of skills because of it. UNACCEPTABLE!

That happens at our gym too! They usually try to time the level 5s and up to have bars or floor (when tumbling) to themselves, because it's hard to avoid the little rec kids who don't listen to instructions about where to walk or about staying with their group. Unfortunately, DD's level 4 group trains while rec classes are ongoing, but luckily they aren't usually doing anything too advanced that they can't bail out of if necessary - well, except they are now uptraining with kips and squat ons with jump to high bar. The rec kids have to pass by the bars on the way to the water fountain, and they are supposed to walk along the crack in the mats that separates one set of bars from the other, but so many just run straight under the bars closest to the fountain.

This is simply stunning to me. Just from a legal/insurance liability standpoint, I can't believe a coach would allow this. And then to factor in the chance of both the gymnast and the small child sustaining an injury...... I mean who thinks this is a good idea????

NGL, I'm a single mom too and I appreciate the difficulties of trying to find child care. But to endanger your child and another person's child is just not acceptable to me.

I'm very glad that my gym doesn't allow such things. Parents and their kids (sans gymmies) are not allowed to pass from the lobby into the gym. Big old intimidating sign on the door and everything! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back