WAG Natural Talent vs Coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HI--- Yes, I don't expect the top coaches to teach struggling girls., but when deciding if it is talent vs. coaching, need to remember that these top coaches pick the top girls who have some really strong natural talent. My child struggles and at one gym, the coaches just wouldn't work with her.

I know, I was being a bit facetious - sorry :)

And I agree a 'not so talented' gymnast working with a top coach will definitely improve faster and get further than with a 'not-so-top-coach' :)

They just know what to say and how to say it to get results quickly. Their mere presence also commands a higher level of respect that other coaches just don't have (I speak from experience!)

I think I'm living this experiment- I'll let you know how it went in a year!

My DD isn't a natural and has a lot going against her. In Xcel, she was with a coach without experience (was her first coaching job), who was still learning both the code and how to helpful girls make corrections. Then she was with a JO coach not suited to her personality at ALL (I doubt that particular coach is best for anyone's personality). Through both time periods she struggled with the skills and the form at both, and with the mental stuff too with the second.

Now, she's with really great coaches. They get her mental space and they are just good coaches in general. They made a place for her amongst a group of girls with much higher expectations and more natural abilities. It will be interesting to see where she is in a year here vs a year at the last place, and six months at the place before that. I know what these coaches are capable of, as I researched them thoroughly before making this leap, so I guess we shall see what they can do with a normal girl who just keeps showing up and trying real hard.

When we talk about "top coaches" it's important to distinguish between great coaches and coaches with great gymnasts. A great coach is someone who can help their gymnasts, in order of priority: 1) stay safe, 2) enjoy their time in gymnastics, and 3) improve their skills. Nothing in there about reaching a high level or winning meets. Women's gymnastics has an expiration date, folks...very opportunities to continue in serious training past age 18, even fewer past age 22. The experience and the process of learning gymnastics is so much more important than the "end point" because every gymnast's competitive career has one of a few end points and none of them are very happy: 1) quit, 2) aged out, 3) injured.

Of course, a great coach for one kid is not always a great coach for another kid. I think some truly amazing coaches are the ones who can adapt their style to many different types of gymnasts and personalities. Different gyms have different attitudes towards this...some pick kids for team who fit with the "type" the coach works well with. Others accept all kids for team who have certain skills and work ethic.

Also - "top coaches", or the coaches who work with the Level 10s or the elite track - they're not always good at coaching lower levels/less talented kids. Lots of people work best with a certain level, and it's often not the upper ones. Most coaches also have certain events they're better at or like more than others, just like gymnasts.

There's currently a new coach at my gym who has an incredibly impressive resume at the top levels, and hosted a workshop for all the gym's coaches. The man does not know how to teach a cartwheel. He's never had to teach a cartwheel. Yet, teaching good cartwheels from scratch is one of the biggest challenges and most satisfying accomplishments for our beginning rec coaches and gymnasts.

The man does not know how to teach a cartwheel. He's never had to teach a cartwheel. Yet, teaching good cartwheels from scratch is one of the biggest challenges and most satisfying accomplishments for our beginning rec coaches and gymnasts.

I want to like your whole post 100 times, but I love this part the most!

I truly believe that cartwheels are one of the hardest core skills to teach!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back