MAG NCAA eligibility and Olympics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I'm trying to attend Ohio State University , and go to the Olympics in 2016 , i graduate high school in 2014 , so I'm going right off to college, then the Olympics hopefully. I have a question for NCAA purposes , if i happen to go to the Olympics and win a medal do I get money for my medal or will it mess with my NCAA eligibility? Sam mikulak went to London Olympics but i have no idea if he received money for it. Please help?

As far as I know, the only money that might come from the Olympics are from endorsements. So as long as you are willing for forego those, you should be OK with your eligibility. I'm sure there are other people here who could answer this with more certainty, though. I happen to know one of the girls on the Ohio State gymnastics team. She trained at my daughter's gym, and was so, so sweet to the younger girls. She really took the time to get to know them, which most of the teenagers don't really do. She seems to be having a GREAT time there. Looks like a really good program.

There is prize money that comes with winning medals, from the USA Olympic Committee - $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver, $10,000 for bronze. Each sports governing body also sometimes offers prize money. The NCAA has made a special exception in their rules regarding Olympic prize money. This article does a great job explaining it: Sports Law Blog

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back