WAG Need advice - what level, what gym, what path

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Probably not. I know of one that would probably have me do a year of gold/platnium then go to 6- that could work. Another would probably have me score out of gold and do platnium. The last would have me do silver and possibly gold toward the end. Not sure about some other gyms
The one that would have you do Silver is a non-starter... they would be violating R&P. From L4, you don't have the option of Silver.

The one that would have you do Silver is a non-starter... they would be violating R&P. From L4, you don't have the option of Silver.

My DD has never done XCel, but I know many families who have, and my understanding is that around me a gymnast w/ the skills OP describes would compete platimum if Xcel... Usually kids w/ a quality kip, flyaway and backwalkover on beam are platinum.

Silver is for kids who can't get over the vault or do a squat on to get to the high bar - the OP is clearly past this if she gets 35's as a level 4. It's actually good to hear that the rules prevent former 4's from competing Silver. Is there a similar rule for the other Xcel levels?

My DD has never done XCel, but I know many families who have, and my understanding is that around me a gymnast w/ the skills OP describes would compete platimum if Xcel... Usually kids w/ a quality kip, flyaway and backwalkover on beam are platinum.

Silver is for kids who can't get over the vault or do a squat on to get to the high bar - the OP is clearly past this if she gets 35's as a level 4. It's actually good to hear that the rules prevent former 4's from competing Silver. Is there a similar rule for the other Xcel levels?
Actually, yes there is... going from JO to Xcel, there is a chart for coaches to follow:
Bronze --> from L1 or L2
Silver --> from L2 or L3
Gold --> from L3, L4, L5, or L6 (Personally, I do not believe L6 should be here because it is already Optionals and is roughly equivalent to Platinum)
Platinum --> from L4, L5, L6, L7, or L8 (Again, personally, I do not think L8 should be here because Platinum is roughly equivalent to L6)
Diamond --> from L7, L8, or L9

I have never competed USAG. Because of that, I can compete bronze if they wanted me too. They are very tough and I probably won't even try out there, but yeahhh...

Now I really don't know what to do. Tonight I realized how much I love my teammates and coaches and it is so hard to say goodbye. I did my first round off backhandspring back tuck since I hurt my ankle in feb - and it was actually pretty good. I would hate to repeat level 4 especially since I have all skills except for bars now - but I love my gym. It's so hard to say bye. Ughh

IF I am allowed back at my current gym if I switch, I think that I will have the chance to be an optional.

However, getting to diamond could also work for my goals :)

I mean that I think you be prepared and probably expect that they will decline to let you "switch back" at that time.

Basically you are switching gyms because you don't trust their plan or coaching style. Which is fine. But why would they want to accept someone back who left for those reasons and now is coming back into the same coaching style? If they wanted to let someone do Xcel for a few years and then petition into optionals, they would do that. They don't want to. They especially won't want to when the person goes to another gym to do it.

That said it still may be best for you to switch gyms, don't get me wrong. Just be realistic.

Reactions: COz
Now I really don't know what to do. Tonight I realized how much I love my teammates and coaches and it is so hard to say goodbye. I did my first round off backhandspring back tuck since I hurt my ankle in feb - and it was actually pretty good. I would hate to repeat level 4 especially since I have all skills except for bars now - but I love my gym. It's so hard to say bye. Ughh

I actually think that might be a reason to leave. It gets you a chance to learn and grow. Life is so full of goodbyes and missing people. It's a real growth experience to learn how to handle that early.

Most people think gym makes kids grow up faster and here is proof. I'd consider it a challenge and take it head on. I wouldn't say this if you were 8, but you're 15. In 3 years your life will be full of overwhelming change. You can handle change one of 3 ways: logically, emotionally, or in denial. This post is an emotional one. Above you talked about going back to the gym later which imo is denial because the other poster already explained why this gym will likely close that door. Other posts have been more logical about why the change would be good.

Nobody can make the decision but you and your parents, but imo at least exercise the option of evaluation at other gyms to see what they say. Then talk it out with your parents and try to keep emotions out of it as best as possible. This is a chance for you to have a trial run at making a grown up decision without the grown up consequences. And I sincerely believe that if you don't see what else is out there then you'll always wonder and maybe even kick yourself after gymnastics is over because you will wonder what you might have been able to do.

Now if you go and it doesn't feel right, at least you know. Just don't stay complacent out of fear. That is not how you want to live your life. I promise that you don't want that.

Reactions: COz
If you can successfully complete the skills then at your age you should move up. Age should be taken into consideration in certain circumstances. I didn't read the whole thread but the op sounds like a perfect candidate for Xcel.

I have never competed USAG. Because of that, I can compete bronze if they wanted me too. They are very tough and I probably won't even try out there, but yeahhh...
Actually, YMCA is linked to USAG. You competed JO L4. At least one of your coaches has to be a USAG Professional member.
Any gym that would even try to get away with having you compete Silver is shady... so I am glad you probably won't even try out there.

I know you are going to miss your friends. Still, if they won't work with you, then you need to move on. If it makes you feel better, our gym has had a few girls that moved on to other gyms for better opportunities and they DID come back to our gym a year or two later.
That is one of the good thing about the YMCA - they have their core values. Your coaches have to know that you are doing what is right for you. You aren't being shady... you told them you might have to look at other gyms.
Good luck.

Not only did she tell them, but they also basically told her she should. Notice that they didn't do anything to try and keep her. That's pretty telling to me. I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad, but I think there are some things she's not seeing because of youth and emotion.

My brother got courted for a job that would require a cross country move. He told them no several times. They kept coming back to him and asking "what can we do to make this happen?" They really wanted him at their place (and eventually got him after going through his laundry list of concerns and crossing them off one by one).

My point here is simple. If your gym were so invested in you, then they would try to reach a solution to keep you. When you mentioned going to look at other gyms, they basically said "well bye." At 15 you only have a few short years left. Why not spend them at a gym that really wants you and really wants to invest in you?

I mean that I think you be prepared and probably expect that they will decline to let you "switch back" at that time.

Basically you are switching gyms because you don't trust their plan or coaching style. Which is fine. But why would they want to accept someone back who left for those reasons and now is coming back into the same coaching style? If they wanted to let someone do Xcel for a few years and then petition into optionals, they would do that. They don't want to. They especially won't want to when the person goes to another gym to do it.

That said it still may be best for you to switch gyms, don't get me wrong. Just be realistic.

Your right, I'm just in denial. However other girls have left and come back... so it's hard to say. I trust there plan I'm just not sure that's what I want to do.

What bars skill are you missing...the freehip kip combo or the flyaway?
I have a free hip into a bent arm kip... but that has improved tremendously, I think I could get it competable in about a month. I have only done flyaways once (I couldnt do dismounts all summer due to ankle problems)... I wasn't far. I think I pretty much have it... it's more of a making it higher and farther.

I actually think that might be a reason to leave. It gets you a chance to learn and grow. Life is so full of goodbyes and missing people. It's a real growth experience to learn how to handle that early.

Most people think gym makes kids grow up faster and here is proof. I'd consider it a challenge and take it head on. I wouldn't say this if you were 8, but you're 15. In 3 years your life will be full of overwhelming change. You can handle change one of 3 ways: logically, emotionally, or in denial. This post is an emotional one. Above you talked about going back to the gym later which imo is denial because the other poster already explained why this gym will likely close that door. Other posts have been more logical about why the change would be good.

Nobody can make the decision but you and your parents, but imo at least exercise the option of evaluation at other gyms to see what they say. Then talk it out with your parents and try to keep emotions out of it as best as possible. This is a chance for you to have a trial run at making a grown up decision without the grown up consequences. And I sincerely believe that if you don't see what else is out there then you'll always wonder and maybe even kick yourself after gymnastics is over because you will wonder what you might have been able to do.

Now if you go and it doesn't feel right, at least you know. Just don't stay complacent out of fear. That is not how you want to live your life. I promise that you don't want that.
Thanks for your advice :) It's so hard to say good bye to people who have formed my life as much as they have. It just feels weird. But I will take that into consideration:)

Actually, YMCA is linked to USAG. You competed JO L4. At least one of your coaches has to be a USAG Professional member.
Any gym that would even try to get away with having you compete Silver is shady... so I am glad you probably won't even try out there.

I know you are going to miss your friends. Still, if they won't work with you, then you need to move on. If it makes you feel better, our gym has had a few girls that moved on to other gyms for better opportunities and they DID come back to our gym a year or two later.
That is one of the good thing about the YMCA - they have their core values. Your coaches have to know that you are doing what is right for you. You aren't being shady... you told them you might have to look at other gyms.
Good luck.
They support what makes me happy. If I would be happy quitting, switching gyms, or doing classes instead, they support that. It's more that they want to see me do well and become an optional then do xcel because "I don't want to do 4."

Not only did she tell them, but they also basically told her she should. Notice that they didn't do anything to try and keep her. That's pretty telling to me. I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad, but I think there are some things she's not seeing because of youth and emotion.

My brother got courted for a job that would require a cross country move. He told them no several times. They kept coming back to him and asking "what can we do to make this happen?" They really wanted him at their place (and eventually got him after going through his laundry list of concerns and crossing them off one by one).

My point here is simple. If your gym were so invested in you, then they would try to reach a solution to keep you. When you mentioned going to look at other gyms, they basically said "well bye." At 15 you only have a few short years left. Why not spend them at a gym that really wants you and really wants to invest in you?
They continued to say that I have the opportunity to become an optional, something that many girls will never get to do. That is what they said to keep me. They said that I will be a great level 4 and 5 next year and am someone that little ones can look up to. I'm just not sure that cuts if for me.

They continued to say that I have the opportunity to become an optional, something that many girls will never get to do. That is what they said to keep me. They said that I will be a great level 4 and 5 next year and am someone that little ones can look up to. I'm just not sure that cuts if for me.

I think what I meant was they took no action to keep you. They weren't willing to work out a compromise where you tried L5 to see how it worked. They won't even let you uptrain. All of that other stuff is just lip service. Action is what really matters.

I've been in your spot, not with gymnastics but in other things. It's very hard to make a move, and ultimately I'm not telling you to move. I'm telling you to shop around but do it quick. The further you get into the competitive season, the less gyms will be interested. See what's out there so you can make an informed decision. You might find a gym ready to let you do Platinum and then you'll really shine or you might find that other gyms agree with what the current one says. You might also find the squad of your dreams or you may decide "Hey I just don't fit in anywhere else." There's no crime in staying because it's the best thing for you, but don't decide to do so without knowing what other opportunities are out there because that is the decision you will likely ultimately regret.

I'm just a grown up so know I'm coming from a good place. Those of us who've lived a bit of life speak to you because we want to offer food for thought. Ultimately only you and your parents can decide what's best. I think we all just want you to do so having all the information you need to make that decision. I saw a thing posted on facebook this week "In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take." If you look at everything else out there and still feel like the YMCA is your home, then you took all the necessary chances so you'll have no regrets down the road.

I hope that helps. Now I'm going to bow out of this conversation because I think I've said everything the OP needs to know from my point of view. Plus I don't want any comment I've made to be taken as my being bossy or trying the push the OP into a decision. Only her parents should be involved in that. I just want her to look at the big world and all opportunities she has before making a decision. I will continue to follow this discussion though as I'm anxious to see how it all turns out. Good luck young lady.

They support what makes me happy. If I would be happy quitting, switching gyms, or doing classes instead, they support that. It's more that they want to see me do well and become an optional then do xcel because "I don't want to do 4."
I like that they support you... that is why I think they would welcome you back if you get the skills and are ready for L5 / Optionals next year. You are close. If they would allow you to work more on the L5 skills without all of the having to do so many of the L4 skills in a row first (in such a limited time... which basically means no uptraining - one turn is not enough) and be willing to move you to L5 mid-season once you have that clear hip and are solid on your floor tumbling, then I would say stay.
You know I am all for a YMCA program. I just do not like how they are handling your very unique situation.
- One of our girls was not ready for L5 last year at the beginning of the season, so she was allowed to compete Platinum. This season, she will compete L5 for 2 meets (our Zone requires scoring out in 2 meets instead of just one), then she will be moving up to L6. The girl was missing her clear hip on bars, BWO on beam, and a SOLID front tuck. As she got the skills competition ready last season, she was able to add them into her routines... except the FT because she didn't need it and it wouldn't help at all in Platinum unless she connected it to something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back