Need to repeat Level 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with all that the others have posted. It is better for her to repeat than move forward before she has the skills she needs. I've said it many times on the CB - Gymnastics isn't a sprint its a long hard marathon and it takes time to master skills. Many gymnasts repeat one of the Levels between 4 and 6. At 8yo she is far from "behind" you can't compare her progress to others because every kid is different and will succeed at their own pace. The most important thing to ask yourself - Is my daughter having FUN!! If the answer is yes then she is right where she should be.

Every kid I've seen repeat a level made that kid more confident about their skills because they had a year they competed skills they really had down pat. When they go through the season they can see for themselves how good they really are and gain the conficence they need to move forward. It really isn't a bad thing. Most coaches will allow them to move up if they get their skills during the season - at least the ones I've had experience with. Fear is a natural part of this sport and they have to learn to overcome it on their own at their own pace. Competing a whole season at L5 will give her that confidence she needs to move forward.

I would let her compete all the meets the gym does regardless of level. It will give her the confidence she needs and make her more comfortable out on the competion floor. That is a big part of getting over fear of doing skills.

L5 & L7 is where many gymnasts repeat because the next level has challenging skills and its Hard to get them. Trust that your coach is keeping your daughter safe and not moving her forward before she is ready. Not being allowed to compete except for 2 meets may send the wrong message to your DD. Encourage her at what ever level she is at and let her compete with the rest of the team.

This is an expensive and time consuming sport. I think I could have purchased 3 houses and 4 fancy cars by now with all the money we have dished out for it.

It requires a huge commitment from the whole family not just the gymnast. I don't even want to look at the amount of money we have put out there for my DD and my Son doing team gymnastics. The time commitment is crazy but its all part of being a gym family. It only gets more expensive and more of a time commitment as they move up in the levels.

So have a seat, breath in, breath out, Take a sip of that wine cooler and relax. Enjoy the ride of gymnastics until your Daughter tells you it isn't fun anymore.

Cher- I am behind you 100% At times, I also say, "Imagine if...DD/DS didn't do..." Time, money all of that would be saved, but I guess spent elsewhere. When I see my kids happy and smiling while at their rspective practices it puts an entirely new perspective on things. The $$$ and time is spent doing what they love and brings them joy.
To the OP, if your DD is happy she IS where she needs to be. Take your guidance from her. It's not good practice after all to second guess the coaches. I would if it harmed her emotional well being, not if it concerned the gymnastics however. I hope that makes sense!

To the OP like many have said this sport is very monotonous... the great gymnasts perfect the little things(pointed toes, straight legs etc.) not just "learn" the big skills. As for the coaches, to be successful in gymnastics, at some point, the gymnast has to own their success... meaning they should be pushing themselves as much or more than the coaches. Her coaches might be backing off on the pressure to give her room to learn the skills and over-come her fears without additional pressure... which in my opinion is the healthiest way of handling her struggles. Hope it works out for you... gymnastics is a lot of hours and even more family commitment as a child moves into optionals.

Repeating a level in gymnastics isn't like being held back in school, and it doesn't mean that she will be stagnant. I was a little disappointed when my daughter's coach had her repeat level 5 after finishing 12th at State (Texas) with a 35.825...but I after a second year of level 5 where she consistently ended up in the top 5 I was so happy with the choice. Repeating gave my daughter confidence and it really prepared her for level 6, which is a whole new world compared to level 5. I'm sure the coaches will have her working on level 6 skills while at practice as she perfects her level 5 skills. Most of the time the coaches know what they are talking about, even if we as parents don't agree at first!
Wow that is suprising the coaches had her repeat coming in 12th in the state! How old is she? I get what everyone else is saying but there is still a part of me that feels she wont be progressing/learning if they have her do 5 again. She is going to do 2 level 5 meets in the next few months & I guess they will see how she is progressing.

My DD came in 10 in the state at L4 and repeated L4. It really has nothing to do with where you placed it has everything to do with do you have the skills for the next level mastered to where you can do them well and safely. You can be a wiz At L5 and placed 1st in the state but stuck getting your L6 skills well enough to compete L6.

Being able to compete with the team regardless of level add to confidence, helps you connect with the team, coach and the sport. Repeating L5 with your coach behind you helps you trust your coach more make you less fearfull and trust your coach wouldn't ask you to do something you aren't ready for. there is alot of good that can come from repeating a level. Like someone already said here repeating a level doesn't mean failure it's not like repeating a grade in school.

Gymnastics is unlike other sports. Just because a year passes doesnt mean automatic advancement no more than a specific age will advance you. It's hard to see the advantage when you are at the moment but when they move on to the upper levels having a good strong foundation of the basic skills is critical. I can see girls who were moved too quickly struggling with upper level skills because they didn't have that good foundation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back