Coaches Need to vent...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

catou

Coach
Need to vent... Just had one of these trainings when you feel like you did more group gestion than actual coaching...

How can I make them understand that the ranking order is not important when you do the vault running complex? I had to talk to a certain gymnast for 10 minutes to get her to calm down...

My oldest gymnast is not shy anymore and I caught 2 impolite answers to two of her team mates...

How can I make them understand that if a teammates ask them to stop doing something (like singing or doing a beat on a mat) they need to stop? How can I make them ask it politely?

I had to tell them to say please... I mean, they are all between 7 and 10.

Thanks for reading, I know I'm probably not the only living it... neither will I be the last.

Oh nights like that are awful.

They need to be mixed up a little. Change the order you do tnfs and remove their ability to out guess you.

Also remind them that you expect, and will get, respect for everyone.

Good to vent here. Kids are hard work.

Thanks Bog. I wonder if they need to be mixed up? The group started with 6 gymnasts. We are now 11 since the the first week of october. So we all need to adapt. Me as much as them.

I have a small question: What is tnfs?

Tnfs is what my iPad decides I mean when I write things!!

11 is a big group. Maybe break them down to smaller groups and set them up on stations. Give them lots of busy work and let them know if they want to do well they have no time to stand still and chat.

We know in CR you have to train 6 apparatus in a very short time so remind them that they need to be working hard like the other gyms.
Give them goals to achieve and make them feel responsible for meeting their goals.

Maybe they will be too busy to be rude.

Though if they are rude sit them out. They will soon learn that being rude will mean the bench or going home.

I think I'll try working in stations, instead of circuits... but I'll have to chose who works with who. At the same time, I'd like them to be able to work with everyone without me having to do the police.

This may sound silly but offer up a sticker at the end of each workout, (even the teenagers like them). It never ceases to amaze me what kids will do in the gym for a sticker....
I have several on going games that I play with the kids, (some are going on a few years, same game). Get creative instead of going insane. :)

Thank you coachp, I might do that. I also thought of something. Starting tomorrow, I'll have a big chart with numbers from 1 to 500. Each training, they'll have a score for how well the group worked together, was respectful and invested in their training. Each time they will get to certain score (ex. 25, 50, 100,etc.), there will be something special. Something like 10 free minutes at the end of the work out, no flexibility at the end of the training, special conditioning, etc.

Hope it works. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Lol dunno... can you believe I have some gymnasts who like to climb the rope? Here push-ups and leg lifts would be a much bigger punishment.

I agree that 11 is a large group for that age group, largely because there are likely to be several "sub-groups" that might not always interact well with one another, kids being left out, and just plain old waiting in line which can be a recipe for trouble. I would also suggest breaking them into smaller groups and keeping them busy- even if it's just stations with simple little things like toe raises (if they're counting to 50 they can't chit chat!) or hollow body holds.
Don't underestimate the power of a serious sit-down chat with them. While they are all stretching have them look at you (make sure they are looking) and explain how important respect is in the gym and that a lack of it will not be tolerated. This would be a good time to explain your reward program to the kids that you mentioned above, but perhaps also a good time to lay out a clear plan of action if someone is in the habit of acting in a disrespectful way towards coaches and/or teammates. Be very clear with this age group about what is not acceptable.
And great for you for being aware of this and address it quickly, it's so much better to do it know than when you have a monstrous mean girl or 2 down the road. Good luck!

It's usually not as bad as friday. And they usually don't have to wait in line. Yes there are kind of sub-groups. One girl whom I'm having a bit of problem this year, had the same kind of troubles last year, with two completely different coaches. At least, her dad is really nice, I can speak to him freely and keep him up to date. Another girl, who just don't work well with the first one, as an attention deficit disorder and I'm sure this isn't helping. She has medication, but it hasn't really changed anything yet. I might have 11 girls, but I sure do have 4-5 strong personalities. So different from last year... much more challenging for me do deal with.

So they are good for a serious talk first thing tomorrow. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for all your tips.

This may sound silly but offer up a sticker at the end of each workout, (even the teenagers like them). It never ceases to amaze me what kids will do in the gym for a sticker....
I have several on going games that I play with the kids, (some are going on a few years, same game). Get creative instead of going insane. :)

Yes. I wish I could never "bribe" but there are some groups where you need some kind of system to keep people in line. I would actually recommend that you give them a point every time they have good behavior/effort/make the corrections, and then at the end of the day or week see who has the most points. Or you can try to hit a certain amount, say 100 points total for the week and then everyone can play in the pit for 5 minutes at the end.

I empathize with the frustration. Just recently, I was finding myself frustrated with not getting enough done and falling into a cycle of providing consequences to the girls as they were not work at their max. On my commute home I would re-live the practice move by move, phrase by phrase. For many days I really worked my Workout Planner and event goals minutely to have the girls get more quality reps. I came into the office on morning and found on my desk a recent issue of Inside Gymnastics. An article, see summary below, really helped me focus on ME the COACH.

I was reminded that I could change me. I minimized managing, consequences, started again to listen carefully, teach and communicate to every athlete. My practices changed immediately. I felt the space in practice, NOT the tick of the clock and the anxiety of execution and skills yet to be improved.

Here is a quick summary:
10 THINGS TO BE A BETTER COACH
(Mary Lee Tracy penned the following for an article in Inside Gymnastics in answer to asking her to share what 10 things she's learned over the years to be a better coach.)

(1) True connection and relationship with an athlete comes first. "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." Theodore Roosevelt

(2) Model the emotional state you wish your athletes to be in, both daily and competitions.

(3) When challenging moments hit, remain in teacher mode; avoid dictator mode.

(4) Show compassion to keep it real. Acknowledge when your athletes have gone above and beyond with a break in the action.

(5) Communicate the "why" of your assignment. Your athletes will give more when you share the purpose.

(6) Change is the spice of life. Vary the plans. Throw in a "fun Friday."

(7) Your attention should be directed at those working the hardest, not the opposite. Deep down all of your athletes want your attention, so reward the behaviors you wish to see more of.

(8) Train the mind. It is the strongest muscle in the body and it controls all of the others. "Teach" your athletes how to direct the mind in a direction that is productive. Give them the tools!

(9) Open and close your workouts with substance to give a "start-to-finish"product.

(10) Educate yourself. Be a knowledge seeker.

I hope the above assist you in planning and executing your practices. What we practice is what we compete - make every practice important.

SBG -

Thanks SBG. I'm really not the kind of coach who gives consequences. I sent a girl on the bench once in my 10 years of coaching. As I read your 10 points, I know many things I do are good. I might need to work on the why of what we do and the mind training thing. It would benefit everybody.

Just to give you a quick update, yesterday went much better than friday. At the begining of the work-out, we had a small talk. We talked about the ruls, about being respectful, to me and everyone else in the gym. The motivation system also seems to work. Didn't hear anything direspectful, and only had one person telling me that another girl wouldn't stop asking her questions. What's even better is that the person I'm coaching with was being replaced. I also had a really frightened little girl finally jump to the high bar and another one hit handstand on beam. So it was a good work-out.

I don't know if it's the effect of the snow (yes we received snow this morning) but I really hope it will stay like that :)

Catou; Sounds like things are changing to the good. Congrats. Additionally, I nod my head in your direction as my area of the US receives our first snow just this evening.

SBG -

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you a little update on how things are going right now.

Instead of eleven gymnasts, I'm down to 9. One stopped because of a hip impingement. The other one changed group. She was the one with whom the other girls had the most conflicts. She's happier in her new group, and I'm happier with mine.

As I mentioned earlier, the head coach is backing me up. According to him, I had to deal with behavioural problems with that gymnast. I had a good talk with her father last night, He's really opened to discussion, and was able to tell him how I felt about the situation. So I really think she left our group in good terms.

The point system is working, they had their first special reward. I made them a gymopoly (see my beamopoly post) for conditioning. Last sunday, they conditioned for more that an hour without ever complaining!

We still have to work on giving a 100% effort all the time, but we are improving! Just had 2 girls coming from rec classes just a month and a half ago get their squat ons last night!

Great news Catou, glad the gymmie is in a better group for her. Great news that your reward system is paying off, small things really motivate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back