Needing Help for Full Twists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bsnow007

Hey there everyone,
I have been trying to work up the courage to learn Full twists for a year now and am having lots of troubles.

I can do a Twist into the foam pit from a mini trapoline, but have troubles with my arms and keeping tight, when I'm trying it with a ROBHS I'm only able to complete a half-twist.

Does anyone have any Drills/Tips/Pointers I could work on?

Thanks!

there's not much i can say but just twist really aggressive! i was really lucky and my twist came natural to me. i got it in level 6! but a lot of girls at my gym have the same prob. as you. you also might be starting your twist either too early or too late.. yeah its hard to say without a video..

If you're having trouble with your twist then you are probably suffering one of two common problems - one, you are flipping too fast because you're scared, and you are whipping your layout instead of standing it up behind you and kicking for the ceiling.

The other is that you initiate the twist, then tuck or break your hip angle in some way and stop your twist.

If it's a courage thing, then I don't see what is so bad about tossing a few dozen more into the pit to feel comfortable, and slowly adding 8" mats to land on until floor level. Let your brain figure it out. It will happen :)

Good luck!

Ryan

Try doing a stretch jump 1/2 right out of your ro-bhs-half. Kind of like a rebound, except not. Then, when you get the hang of that, put it together in the air, and there you have it! layout full! (definitely easier said then done).

also: make sure your arms are tight so you get a good rotation in the shoulders--the rest of your body should follow. This worked for me, at least. good luck!

i have had this problem to, i can do halves perfectly on floor. Now i was working tumbling off the floor to do a full because you have for time.. You just have to commit and pull both arms hard!
Then a few days ago i was working them on tumbletrak and i found i wouldn't go unless there was a crash mat at the end because i seem to miss my feet and land flat on my back. Just remember to start twisting once you see your toes/ ceiling and make sure you set up high so that you have time. Good luck.
what level are you? i am just curious cuz i don't know when people start doing fulls there. I am P3 (level 7 ish)

:)

I really need help too. I have been trying for five months and I have come close, but with no real consistency. Here are a few of my better ones that I have caught on video. We don't have a pit at my gym, so we tumble on the tumbl trak onto mats. I simply don't have any speed in my twist. I can use all the advice I can get because I'm going to get my full twist or die trying :).

I might mention that I am 41 years old and have never been able to twist. I started doing gymnastics again last August after a 20+ year absence from the sport.

Thanks!

Ivy

YouTube - Full Twist Problems.m4v

I really need help too. I have been trying for five months and I have come close, but with no real consistency. Here are a few of my better ones that I have caught on video. We don't have a pit at my gym, so we tumble on the tumbl trak onto mats. I simply don't have any speed in my twist. I can use all the advice I can get because I'm going to get my full twist or die trying :).

I might mention that I am 41 years old and have never been able to twist. I started doing gymnastics again last August after a 20+ year absence from the sport.

Thanks!

Ivy

YouTube - Full Twist Problems.m4v

i am impressed by your age. you round off left. a left round off is a right twist. you twist right. the problem is when you are right side up after the completion of your round off the body is loading to twist left. slow down your video and you will see your hips torqueing left.

so, you should change to a left twist if you continue to only attempt a full from a round off.

or, put a flip flop or whip back after the round off and it will be much easier to finish your full twist to the right.

I've always known that I twist in the wrong direction for my roundoff. I am terrified to try and change it without a pit to throw myself into! The problem is that I was never taught by a proper coach when I was young and nobody ever told me about twist direction. I have also been trying to learn an arabian and that one I HAVE to twist to the left or I'll kill myself :)

I am going to try both of your suggestions and see if I can get this thing working for me. I have literally done a thousand of these since January and I'm just not getting anywhere and I'm so frustrated.

And if my back twisting is frustrating, that's nothing compared to front twisting!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
okay. you say that you MUST arabian to the left. so, learn the arabian to the left. then practice front 1/2's to the left.

overtime, and lets hope less time than you have already spent, you can slowly put together the arabian to the front 1/2 out to the left.

it will be tucked, but so what. overtime you can lay it out. keep me posted.:)

That is what I've been thinking. I don't coach tomorrow, but I think I might sneak over the the gym for an hour or so before the girls get there and see if I can make some progress. It's worth a shot!

Ivy

ok so all you gotta do is say you can do it twist rly fast know where ur landing and trust in urself.

Hey Dunno! Can I come kiss you? I'm not on my feet yet, but the difference in the twisting is incredible. After just two hours of twisting to the left, it's almost second nature. I can't believe I've been trying this for five months and in one afternoon I'm almost there.

Thank you so much!

YouTube - Full Twist Problems And Solutions.m4v

well now...look at that! and i can see that you better know where you are by what you are doing with your head.

get comfortable doing what you're doing. then, add lifting the right arm a little higher to the left of center and 'tilting' your left arm and shoulder softly to the left.

i can see you're online so congrats to you!:)

The good news and the bad news. I got my full twist!

YouTube - FULL TWIST.m4v

Then, I landed one, but my knee kept twisting. I don't know how long I will be on crutches. I think it's a ligament. I won't know for sure until I get an MRI.

Life isn't fair.

The good news and the bad news. I got my full twist!

YouTube - FULL TWIST.m4v

Then, I landed one, but my knee kept twisting. I don't know how long I will be on crutches. I think it's a ligament. I won't know for sure until I get an MRI.

Life isn't fair.

geesh...the thrill of victory...and the agonknee of the knee.

gosh that full looked great! apparently everyone else thought so too!

i hope you just tweaked the cartilage and it will be nothing serious. i feel bad. keep me posted.:(

i had to go back and look one more time. that full was remarkable.:)

Thanks. I'm so glad I got it on video since it might be my last one. I'm so very upset. Too bad I didn't get the accident on video. It would have made great youtube.

geesh...the thrill of victory...and the agonknee of the knee.

gosh that full looked great! apparently everyone else thought so too!

i hope you just tweaked the cartilage and it will be nothing serious. i feel bad. keep me posted.:(

I wish. Torn ACL. Guess I'm not going to the Olympics after all :(

I just watched your videos and i'm really sorry that you are injured, but i just have to say, YOU ROCK!! You are awesome and although i enjoyed the tumbling.... you can do a KIP! You go girl!
I hope you heal well and quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back