Needing Help for Full Twists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Get ready...when you turn upside down your head and shoulders are twisting in the opposite direction. Trust me.

You may be one of those people who when they get spotted by a coach and he carries you through the full, it feels weird. It may be that you are not catching on that upside down you are twisting the other way. Not to the opposite shoulder but simply if the top was rotating clockwise then when you flip upside down the bottom is now rotating counterclockwise. When you are upside down, you feel as if you are going the other way. It feels weird.

Remember I told you to be ready...pretend you are driving a car with a steering wheel in your hands...If you are a right twister then as you jump off the mat steer your car to the right and when you turn around to the back steer the car to the left.

If you want to try this with a prop you can use a soft Frisbee and hold it between your hands. Pretend the Frisbee is a steering wheel. Jump off the mat and again, turn your vehicle to the right as you flip and as soon as you are facing the other way then turn your vehicle back to the left before you land. In effect it should feel like you drew a figure 8 in the air as you flipped over with the Frisbee turning to the right and then to the left.

This is a teaching method which may help put this in a new perspective for you and give you a deeper understanding of what exactly is going on.

Another Que you can try is do the beginning normal but when you turn to face the other way convert your flip into a round-off to the opposite side in mid air. A right twister would start with a twist to the right shoulder and then later when you have turned the other way after you come off the mat, you do an aireal left round-off. In a nutshell, jump right and turn into a left round-off in mid air.

this is what helped me get my full on floor. stand up and do a jump full u have to pull hard to make it around, that's what you should do when you r flipping also my coach spotted me on a lot of fulls on the trampoline, spot something and watch it until u see your toes and you need to set before you start twisting hope this helps good luck !!! :)

I've been having trouble with my twisting too........ You have to be sure that you just don't twist the half and then pull the other half around. You gotta go full out when doing it. Another helpful thing is that you make sure that you dont pike at the end. My first try doing it on floor and i piked at the end and hit my head on the floor pretty hard so now im scared to twist them floor on floor anymore.

Good luck on your twisting!!!:)

It is six months since my ACL surgery and although I said I wouldn't twist again, I just got my layout 1/2 on Saturday. Me bad. I still don't know how I feel about doing a full.

hey there! glad to hear your back at it. give yourself enough time to get back in shape and don't worry about the repaired knee. it'll be fine. it's the other body parts and the other knee that might give you a problem...:) and so it goes with gymnastics!

It will be a year on Tuesday that I tore my ACL. My layouts are over my coach's head on the tumbltrack and he keeps telling me to start working my full again. He promises that he can catch me at the hips and slow me down so I don't land hard. Meanwhile, I am absolutely petrified of twisting but I really really want to. I know in my heart I can do it, but just thinking about it makes my heart beat faster and I get such anxiety. The rest of my tumbling is going well but my knee does hurt from time to time (so does the other one - thanks Dunno). I've been working bars in the meantime to take my mind off tumbling, but my hands hurt so much I can only do so much bars. Any advice?

It will be a year on Tuesday that I tore my ACL. My layouts are over my coach's head on the tumbltrack and he keeps telling me to start working my full again. He promises that he can catch me at the hips and slow me down so I don't land hard. Meanwhile, I am absolutely petrified of twisting but I really really want to. I know in my heart I can do it, but just thinking about it makes my heart beat faster and I get such anxiety. The rest of my tumbling is going well but my knee does hurt from time to time (so does the other one - thanks Dunno). I've been working bars in the meantime to take my mind off tumbling, but my hands hurt so much I can only do so much bars. Any advice?

was it something i said?? what happened??

In the last post you made in this thread you told me that my knee will be fine - it will be all my other parts that will hurt. So far, you're right!

I just want to say that I am blown away by what you are accomplishing. You are an inspiration!!

Your arms seem to be weak and you know in this thing the arms,wrist and hands should be very strong so i decide that you should go to gym and have some exercise which will make your arms more strong.If you have very healthy arms then it does not mean that you have really power.There are few exercises which make your arms and wrists internally strong.

It took me 2.5 years to get my back full, when I only took two months for my front full and another year for my front double twist. Try a front full and see if your better at that. For me, I thrive at front tumbling, but I fall at back tumbling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back