Nervous around a certain coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
DD has a problem getting nervous around a certain coach and usually when this person is present she doesn't do as well in practice. It's the owner/head coachs wife who doesn't actively coach the girls but does drop in from time to time and coach along with the other coaches. My
DD says that she makes her nervous. She is very strict and demanding also she yells a bit. How can I help my DD not feel so nervous and stressed out when this coach is there.

Anxiety in practise

How can parents assist their athlete manage practise anxiety? This is a great question.

First post from a new member. I am a recent member of the forum, a Head Coach and Team Director of a Gymnastics program here in MN, USA.

Our staff advises parents to assist their athletes with these practise anxiety concerns by re-focusing attention on practise goals, and making improvement on their skills. Our weekly event goals are posted in the gym. The girls are aware of them. The staff/athletes focus on meeting the goals and on the direct tasks. This directed practise works as a target to direct physical and emotional energies to. Often goals will be both physical as well as mental. A sample goal this week of our L5's on Beam (pre 1st qualifier in MN) is to have a focused quiet mind on beam. We have a station were the girls work to quiet thier minds and focus on a routine.

I need to be brief as I have to jump out to practise. If you have additional questions yell or e-mail me ([email protected]) .

Best wishes, Eric -

This happened last September with my dd last year with her vault coach, she would burst into tears when she had to work with him but was ok working with him on bars. I talked to her often as did his wife who was her floor and beam coach. We kept talking to her about how vault is hard but if she keeps with it she will do well and that he is trying to help her be the best she can be. I think some of it was also his accent and he was not use to working with the young ones (she was 7 almost 8). By December she was more confident with vault and this lead to being more at ease with him. Just keep talking to her and hopefully she will come to feel less nervous :)

This sort of thing happened to one little girl on my DD's team. Every time one of the girls gets a new really hard skill., the head coach will call the owner out to see. This little girl can never seem to perform when he watches. She gets very nervous. Finally one day the owner said to her okay go ahead I won't look and covers his eyes with his hands and turns around. The whole team laughed. The little girl did it. Afterwards he turned around opened his eyes and asked her did you do it? She said yes. He said to her do it again because I missed it. She was relaxed by then and did it again with him watching. Hope this helps you in some way.

some problem

there are a big family of gyms owned by the same person where i live and i have been to two of the gyms. at my last gym the owner of all the gyms didnt like the coach so he would come in at least once a week and stand right by my coach the whole practice he made me scared to. but i got used to it and he only continued that for about a month after she got hired. i loearned to trust him

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back