WAG New level 6 now required

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlygirls

Proud Parent
I have been hearing rumors that new level 6 will once again be required after August 2014. Can any of our coaches that are "in the know" weigh in? Dunno?

I can't find a written source, but coaches in our area have been mentioning it. That is why I would like to hear from informed sources.

Even if it were to be required, I can't imagine it would make much of a difference as you can essentially do a L7 routine as an L6 and score out your first meet of the season and then do L7. It is not like you have to learn different routines.

Even if it were to be required, I can't imagine it would make much of a difference as you can essentially do a L7 routine as an L6 and score out your first meet of the season and then do L7. It is not like you have to learn different routines.

I think it may make a difference in how some gyms approach moving through the levels. It seems that quite a few gyms who never score out and normally compete one level per year were ok with skipping level 6 because it was not a required level. I am wondering if that will change if level 6 does become a required level again.

They won't make L6 a required level. As it is, USAG says that you can compete L5 and L6 and are allowed to go back and forth all season if you want. Level 6 was just put in there for girls who need the extra time to build the L7 skills (and to stop the "bleeding" into the Xcel program that a lot of gyms were doing... Old L6 score out, then do Xcel Platinum until they were ready for L7). They were hopeful that it would keep Xcel and JO even more separate.

The only thing that would stink about them REQUIRING level 6 is that the floor music limit is 1:15 and L7 is 1:30 - not that you are required to go the full time, but still... I know that the change in Xcel Gold from 1:15 to 1:00 was hard for some girls (my OG had to have me cut 15 seconds from her music and she had to cut 15 seconds of choreography). Of course, next year, she is doing Platinum and can have 1:30. I had 2 options of the same song... one was 1:26 and the other was 1:30. She had me cut the 1:26 down because "I don't need that long to do the requirements and I don't think I would have the energy to do it with my asthma." I cut it to 1:06 and she seems pleased... and, from my POV, it means less time for her to get deductions :D

I seriously doubt they will make level 6 required unless they change requirements at level 5 and level 7. As a required level I think it will just "waste time" in the progression. Kids who would normally be ready for level 7 after completing level 5 will end up looking for level 6 score out meets. It seems to me that requiring it would negate any benefit that having it offered in the first place.

Interested to see what coaches have heard or think about this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back