Parents new to forum.. how to buy gymnastics bar and beam combo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justOralBoards

Proud Parent
hi members. i am thinking of buying a set for my 10 yo daughter to practice on. not looking for a cheap flimsy product. could you help guide clueless dad to the right place? thanks!

Check Facebook marketplace. She’ll probably only use it when she’s between ages of 7-10 because if they train beyond that at high JO levels, it’ll become a chore and they’ll only wanna do it at gym. Home is their sanctuary and it’s really not safe for them to train too much beyond basics. Then the equipment will sit in your basement/utility area and will collect dust or become a closet/hanger bar for old clothes. No jokes. But buy them used. Or buy mediocre quality because you’ll waste your money.

As a coach, I highly recommend against a bar at home. It's a very technical event and easy to form bad habits. I like to recommend a pull up bar instead for pullups and legs lifts. At age 10, there really isn't a safe home bar that would have any benefit for her.

I would also only do a low/floor beam.

I’m 14 and I love my air track, small crash mat, panel mats, floor bar, pull up bar and laser beam to use in our basement. I focus on basics and drills at home and lots of conditioning! The best equipment we’ve gotten is from tumbl trak, great quality and reasonable price.

hi members. i am thinking of buying a set for my 10 yo daughter to practice on. not looking for a cheap flimsy product. could you help guide clueless dad to the right place? thanks!

Floor bars are definitely the way to go. This one is pretty nice...

You can do all sorts of stuff with it...

If you have a buy nothing facebook group locally, I'd ask there first for any mats first. I got a few things from neighbors for free there.

Is this for real... "buy nothing"? I have to see if I have one of these by me.
Yes! There is/was an overarching organization that oversees the groups, but the concept is a local group where you exchange items with neighbors that you may no longer need. It's a great neighborhood concept. They aren't everywhere since someone has to admin it and manage it and each one is different. I happen to be in a great one that is very active and generous, but I have some friends that say their local one is junk. Say I have a mat that we no longer use, I'd post it on the group as a give and people would express interest, I'd pick someone and then they'd come to my house and pick it up.

There is a Buy Nothing facebook group where I live. It's great! I was able to give away a couch and other random things. People post all kinds of stuff to give away like clothes, toys, household items. You can even ask for something that you need.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back