'Normal' clothes for a gymnast shape

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am an adult gymnast, but I noticed the 'higher end' clothes but at discount stores like Marshalls and TJMaxx (around here anyway) fit much better. I can get some cute $10 shirts that normally cost more, and for whatever reason being higher end they seem to have more room in shoulders and less in waist.

Thank you all for your suggestions and reassurance - lots of food for thought! I already discovered that tops with thin straps are not the way to go - she wore a pale pink one yesterday as it was warm here (we do see the sun sometimes!), it was not good at all.. It does make sense to look for things cut like the leos in the shoulders! I am having the same issues with her dancewear as well - stage costumes for dancers do not flatter a gymnast shape - good job I sew! I also had the issues with buying jeans everything in the shops was 'superskinny fit', so narrow through the thighs, she usually likes trying on clothes but that was not a good shopping day - she came home with more trackpants!

LOL, get used to it! My daughter is one size larger usually on top than on her bottom. These past 2 years I can't buy her jeans without her trying them on. She loves jeggins which are jeans/stretchy like leggings! It is Summer so she lives in tank tops and cami tops or t-shirts, but anything with a sleeve, even a little like on a t-shirt, has to be in the bigger size because of her chest and shoulders. A regular button down shirt has to be tried on since it is always too tight around the upper arms and openings. During school she likes cami tops with looser jackets, sweaters, or bigger shirt over (layered look) and loves the Justice for girls store, or Aeropostle. My DD has been living in leo's for so many years now, she is happy with the less is best look, which is not good for school/dress codes, but we find stuff and the layered look with the tighter shirt on bottom and over sized one on top works well. Some shirts have that stretchy material which gives a little extra room too and makes clothes look more flattering on them. Happy shopping!

Yup--my dd has problems finding clothes that fit as well. Although she has a very slight build, she still wears bottoms that are a few sizes smaller than her top. She is 12 years old and just grew out of some of her children's size 8 pants and shorts! LOL

Trixie has some of the same issues. She has a tiny waist and short legs, but muscular thighs. Most of her shorts are size 7/8 but her tops are 12's! Finding jeans to fit her is an ordeal. Mostly she wears stretch yoga pants.
As for the tanks, she wore a racer back tank layerd over another tank recently. I was amazed at her arms and the muscular definition. She is turning 11 in a few days and loves her defined physique!

I have found that the Vanilla Star brand jeans and pants fit very nicely. They are made out of a stretchy type material so they "give a little" when you wear them.

I can only partially relate. DD is only 4.5yr and does not have the muscular build yet, BUT she is still impossible to dress. She is a 31lb 4.5yr old of average height. Can you say skinny??? She needs 4's (and even some 5's) for length in pants, but her waist is more of an 18 month or 2T size. I'm actually hoping gymnastics helps bulk her up a little to make clothes easier to find that fit her!

At Old Navy, they have jeggings which I live in! They look like jeans, except they're super-duper strechy! Also, if 00 fits her, you could go to the online store or outlet "Garage". Their jeggings are my absolute favourite! I suggest the online store over the outlet because you can score some great sales online.

For the tops, I suggest Aeropostale if that fits her (I'm sure it will- the smallest 2nd graders up to the 12th graders wear Aeropostale at my school!) I recently picked up the cutest tank top there; and it looks great layered. Their tee shirts are awesome and they usually have some sort of "buy one get one" sale at the outlet. I've never been to their online store.

Last edited:
Between my shoulders and thighs, it's a hassle to fit anything right that is for non-muscular girls. I have especially large shoulders, so I refrain from tank-tops and shirts with tight sleeves (or the ones that are poofy sleeved, if you know what I mean. those look pretty funny). I usually like baggy shirts, but I've found that t-shirts with really short sleeves look pretty good.
Its actually kind of funny with jeans, my waist is about size zero/one but my legs fit more comfortably in a four... I have found that stretchy jeans or jeggings are my saviors. They're pretty comfortable and they fit your waist as well as your legs.

uuuug, i dont have that hard a problem with shorts but JEANS! I have gymnast smaller waist big thighs and shorter. when it fits around the waist its to tight in the thigh and too big and long when in fits in the thighs! i founf for me (teenager) that aero jeans come in a short size and skinny jeans work because they are supposed to be tight :)

It's so true. I haven't been training seriously for about 5 years and it seems like the gymnastics shape is staying. I suppose there are worse problems to have! Anything that fits at the thight or shoulder is far to big at the waist. When I was 12 or so I would tell everyone that I was setting up a clothing company providing everyday clothes for athlete - the market out there is huge! I believe from friends that swimmers have very similar problems too.
My advice is look for vest tops with medium or wider straps, or t shirts with a longer sleeve. Cap sleeves are an absolute no (and will feel horribly tight).
For the office type clothes, I have found that the semi-casual shirt/blouse where you can roll up your sleeves helps a little - the wider outline just below the elbow helps balance my large upper arms!

Last edited:
my 18 yo dd has always been told she looks like popeye!
halterneck is a no no we have found.
elbow length t shirt or blouse is good as previous poster said
pants or leggings always look so so

uuuug, i dont have that hard a problem with shorts but JEANS! I have gymnast smaller waist big thighs and shorter. when it fits around the waist its to tight in the thigh and too big and long when in fits in the thighs! i founf for me (teenager) that aero jeans come in a short size and skinny jeans work because they are supposed to be tight :)

My DD has this exact same problem. It makes for some very frustrating shopping trips.

She is also VERY SELF-CONSCIOUS about her muscular arms/shoulders and refuses to wear any type of shirt that exposes them (unless ehs is just hanging out around the house). I keep telling her that all of us adult women would just LOVE to have those toned, muscular arms, but she doesn't listen!

With school shopping approaching this is going to be a big problem for us too. Anything "skinny" sat in the dresser throughout the year. I'm happy that Justice is keeping up with the cute sweats and baggier pants. A gymnasts thighs aren't meant for your typical jeans. :D

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread, but as a former gymnast, I have to add:

Just WAIT until you are shopping for a prom (or other formal) dress for her. I remember being in tears trying on all of these beautiful dresses because they looked completely ridiculous. I ended up with a puffy princess style dress to balance my bottom half out with my top half. And it needed to be taken in about four times in the corset area in order to be even close to fitting in the waist. It was a nightmare. :D

This post will strike a nerve with every mom and gymnast out there! The first time I really noticed how much dds body had changed was when we got easter pics made a few years ago. The gorgeous pink sleeveless dress was totally out of sync with the body builder biceps. We have to do jeans and shorts with an adjustable waist, (levis, old navy), if your dd will wear dresses land's end makes some very classic dresses and uniforms that are a lot roomier and more appropriate for my 12 yr old than a lot of other styles out there. On the flip side, I think we can all agree our gymnasts look amazing in bikinis!

oh my, I hadn't even thought as far as prom dresses!

Luckily I sew so would probably make it, hopefully by then I would have developed the eye for what suits her - I just made her ballet tutu and that kind of bodice is not really the thing!

As far as dresses go (my mom sews) I always liked the ones that were sorta fitted through the top-like, "oh look, abs and generally tiny through here" with an A-line skirt. I had 5 or 6 made with the same pattern for summer at one point. My shoulders aren't narrow by any stretch of the imagination, either. My mom just made sure they fit through up at the shoulders & they looked pretty fantastic.

back in the day, the only jeans that would fit my legs and butt were those where the waist were at least 4 inches away all way around. so, i wore painters pants instead...:)

My 6 y/o grand-daughter wears a 7 top and 5 bottom. It's a challenge to buy clothing for her too. Solution is that she gets to go shopping, which is fine with her because she LOVES shopping. The clothes at 'Justice' are cute, fit well, and are age appropriate..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back