Now THIS is what I'M talking about!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Could you explain what "chucking" a skill is? I do put video's of my daughter on youtube and most of her stuff is newly learned so it's raw but she's attempting it. Just was wondering what this term means...don't know much about gymnastics

WOW!!! Thanks Mdmom for posting those videos!! That was amazing..

Caitsmom... I know when I refer to "just chucking" a skill, it usually means that they're doing the skill w/o any regard to form. Usually people use the phrase when the girls' form is not corrected and they just move on to higher level skills w/o the proper corrections being done.

Teamsparkle are fantastic gymnasts! This is what gymnastics was meant to be. They have the same form and skill base I remember when I was in gymnastics. The artistry has since been replaced by the difficulty. The past Olympics has shown this. I have to say, this is why I have always loved the Russian and Romanian gymnasts. I love the Americans too, but the Russ. and Rom. are just gorgeous!!

Thanks for sharing these videos! Love to watch these girls!

CaitsMom - I think the term "chucking" a skill is not in reference to girls just learning a new skill. It is used when form is not made a priority and skills are not made to be cleaned up. When gymmies learn new skills they always look "raw" at the beginning....at least that has always been my dd's experience. However, it is not long before coaches make her polish up her form. I hope that helps! :)

Yes--chucking a skill, in my mind means throwing a skill without any regard to form. This especially happens after they have mastered basic skills, move up to the next skill quickly, and all the form they had in the previous skill is all lost.

Love Team Sparkle!! My DD loves watching them, too. Really beautiful gymnastics, form, dance, artistry, everything.

To me chucking a skill is when the gymnast just 'goes for it' without having the proper technique or shape and lands the skill using either pure luck or brute strength.

:D Been following them on youtube for a long time and I absolutely LOVE them!
Actually, one of them; Aasha, used to go to my sister's gym, I remember watching her when she was five or six and thinking, 'WOW! She's gonna be great someday!' and look where she is now! :rolleyes:
But I love watching Catherine most, I think its something to do with her combination of flexibility and control that makes her so captivating to watch :)

The coach of team sparkle, Rochelle Douglas, has been mentioned several times in British Gymnastics magazine (inlcuding in August edition) as one of the talented new generation of young coaches, or words to that effect. She seems to have a great atmosphere and relationship with her gymnasts.
There seem to be a handfull of young, exciting coaches coming up in england at the moment, as BG says (I have had the privilidge of learning from some of them).
Personally I think the strong, compuslory coach education program, excellent grades/levels system and Range and conditioning focus has helped to produce these gymnasts and coaches. The belief in 'form' as a seperate thing to the skill is also something we don't really have here. We tend to think of 'form' as doing the skill correctly, and if you can't do it with good form then you don't have that skill.
Long may it continue!

The coach of team sparkle, Rochelle Douglas, has been mentioned several times in British Gymnastics magazine (inlcuding in August edition) as one of the talented new generation of young coaches, or words to that effect. She seems to have a great atmosphere and relationship with her gymnasts.
There seem to be a handfull of young, exciting coaches coming up in england at the moment, as BG says (I have had the privilidge of learning from some of them).
Personally I think the strong, compuslory coach education program, excellent grades/levels system and Range and conditioning focus has helped to produce these gymnasts and coaches. The belief in 'form' as a seperate thing to the skill is also something we don't really have here. We tend to think of 'form' as doing the skill correctly, and if you can't do it with good form then you don't have that skill.
Long may it continue!

I love watching the Teamsparkle1 videos and their coach Rochelle looks like she does have a great relationship with the girls. I am curious as to what that extra routine is that they do on the floor in competitions. It is a series of balances and flexibility that I have never seen done before. I have also seen in videos a routine done on a piece of wood. Is that only in England or do they do that in other countries as well? If anyone can elaborate on this it would be appreciated. I think those two additions really work on the girls flexibility and strength--no wonder they all have such great flexibility and balance in their other apparatus routines.

It's called Range & Conditioning and it shows eaxtly that. It really shows the great gymnasts from the adequate gymnasts, as they need to excel in all 5 areas to progress well. I think it is wonderful.

The piece of wood is actually just a gym bench, we have them in schools here in Canada.

We have a Defi programme in Quebec that uses a lot of TOPS and R&C elements, it is only used by the bigger clubs who have the numbers of gymnasts necessary to have separate groups.

Thanks Bog! I can definitely see how that would separate out the really great gymnasts. And the really great gymnasts do often have that great combination of strength, balance and flexibility.

YouTube - défi 5 - Claudie

THis is Claudie, Julpin4's DD doing Defi 5, the fifth highest level of the Quebec developmental programme. They also can compete regualr levels after they turn 8, Defi runs until they are 11. Levels 1-2 are regional and levels 3-6 are Provincial. AFter Level 5 they are ready to compete in the National development programme.

Bravo Claudie!!! That was really good! She is an awesome bar swinger!!! Her beam walkovers are beautiful too!! Thanks for sharing Bog!!

The british range and conditioning routines get harder as they go through the levels. Some use part of a bench and some are wholely on the floor or the bench.

They were so fantastic!!
I can only imagine my DD's tears of outrage if she saw it though - there is a team out there with a pink leo after all!

They were so fantastic!!
I can only imagine my DD's tears of outrage if she saw it though - there is a team out there with a pink leo after all!

there are several clubs here with pink leos. And at least 2 gyms with pink equipment. Here is the biggest one - how pink does she like her gym to be? All their leos are pink and check out the facilities!

home

My dd wanted to move after she saw this. lol.

THat pink gym always makes me smile. I think coaching there would be a bit much though! I can't imagine MAG is their thing.

attitude.jpg
[SIZE=+1]
oh%20yes.jpg
[/SIZE]

Talking of pink leos - what about the men???
Came across this on google - not something i think will catch on! Gave me a giggle though...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back