WAG Nutrition component of coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Going off of my DD and some of her teammates' schedules, they don't have a lot of time for a big snack before practice. My DD for example eats lunch at 11:30, gets out of school at 335 is on the bus until 415 (not allowed to eat on the bus), gets home, changes and goes straight to the gym. She eats a snack in the car, but rarely has time for much. She has to finish her homework and get her hair up, etc. By the time their break comes around 6:30 or 7, she is hungry and running on fumes. She definitely needs carbs at that point, but calories are also important. She eats a small dinner around 9 when she gets home. She needs the calories that she eats during practice. Could she get by without them? Sure, but it would make it more difficult at other meals/days to keep up.

Fortunately, at her level, this schedule is only 2 school nights a week.

Reactions: sce
There are exceptions to everything. My point was not that kid should eat fruit for a gym snack specifically. Just that it is a perfectly acceptable snack in general for a break.

Food and diet are a long term thing. It is less about how you eat for a day and one meal or snack. But how you eat over time, as in a week or 2. My kid eats healthy most meals. How much at a time varies. If she eats a lite dinner, it's a safe bet she will be eating a huge breakfast the next day. Heavy dinner, next day's breakfast tends to be light. Some kids graze, some go for big meals. Snack choice at gym is not even close to a reasonable snapshot of diet overall. But yeah, a banana, Apple, orange would be a perfectly fine choice.

Again, if a kids diet is healthy overall it really doesn't matter what the snack at the gym is.

I prefer the adults in my kids life talk general healthy choices and leave the specfics to me.

I allow my kids to bring a snack even though they "only" practice 2.5 hours because it is right over dinner time. They come in at 6, some of the kids have a 30 minute drive and all have working parents. So while some are able to get at least a decent sized snack before coming to the gym, there are a few who are not. It's not a formal snack break, but I invite them to bring something they can grab a quick bite of during water breaks to get them through until they can get dinner. I invite them/their parents to bring a "healthy" snack and allow them to be the ones who interpret what that means. I think cheese is a perfectly healthy snack, I know lots of people who would disagree. And I don't know the specific dietary needs of the kids I coach.
It's my job to love my girls, teach them gymnastics, teach them to love being active, build their self esteem by encouraging them and helping them see just how much they are actually capable of doing, perseverance, and all the good stuff that comes with gymnastics. Anything that doesn't fit in with that, not going to touch it. It's the reason I don't talk weight, grades/school performance (unless they share something), etc. Because as well as I like to think I know these kids, there are certainly things I just don't know. The same goes with diet and food choices. I struggled with weight as a pre-teen/teen, did my coaches know it was because I was on medication that caused me to gain weight? Nope. They probably just thought I made bad food choices. And while they didn't cause me to have any eating disorder, it has certainly caused a fair amount of body image problems. If for some reason I had a specific concern about an athlete's energy level or performance, I would go to the parent first, and probably feel out the situation very carefully before making any accusations or jumping to any conclusions. I want to encourage my kids and build them up to make healthy choices, but what that looks like will be different for different kids.

As for the Gymnast Care materials, they are pretty general- and written by trained professionals. If a parent asked for food suggestions I could see passing that along, but I would absolutely not expect a parent to abide by every suggestion in it (which seems to be the case with the opening poster).

My 13-year-old daughter practices 3 days a week for 4 hours each day. She typically has a GoGo Squeeze and another similar product that has some veggies in there. She's not dieting or trying to lose weight by any means, there are a lot of carbs that are easily digestible in there. She eats something like a Peanut butter roll up before practice. She also has a Gatorade. We have had to work with her to get her to eat breakfast because she always states that she isn't hungry. She finally figured out that if she eats better during the day she doesn't get so tired during practice. She has sensory issues, especially with texture. I would never mind an adult who I consider to be important in her life helping her make better choices.

I have followed this thread closely because I think it is a very relevant topic and reading various views helps me think alot:).

If asked the broad question 'do we think coaching includes a nutritional component' I would say, yes, coaches can tell my kids that getting appropriate nutrition is part of athletics. I would have a problem with a coach 'telling' my kids what they should eat, mentioning a number of calories per day they should eat, or ever, ever mentioning their weight. But, that's never happened. Put me in the minority, but I've never been offended by the actual - and very general- comments I have heard from coaches (in this sport, or the other sports my kids play) that I have heard: to stay hydrated; to bring a snack that is easily ingested and absorbed by the body for a game/practice etc; and to discourage bringing snacks that don't accomplish this.

I asked my DD (7th gr) what specifically her gym coaches have ever said about food or nutrition, and she said the only thing that they have said is 'try not to eat junky food before practice...it won't get you through the workout' or 'give your body the right fuel it needs for what you're asking it to do'. I asked if they said specifically what they meant and she said 'no, but I am sure they mean don't stop at the fast food drive-thru before practice or Dunkin' donuts!'. Now, that's my kid's version of junk food. The thing is, there are a lot of families who don't consider that junk food, or think that there is no difference between food sources as long as it's calories content is the same.

I understand parents saying 'keep it to yourself, coaches, if I want advice about nutrition, I'll take my kid to a nutritionist myself' but I am not sure that is something that everyone can afford financially, or has easy access to, or has reason to believe is necessary (I know some folks who thinks a registered dietician is a resource for overweight only, for example). I don't think it would occur to all parents that proper nutrition makes a difference to athletes without a coach saying 'healthy food helps fuel the body'.

Full disclosure: I am the person that wants to smack the parent who brings cupcakes and juice boxes to every. single. 40 minute soccer game at 9 am in the morning for the 8 and under crowd. We wonder why our kids seem confused about 'what is good nutrition'?

Sort of surprised by all the snack issues mentioned. DD has 4.5 hour long practices (three are on school nights) and there is no snack break. Kids can grab a quick bite between rotations if they need. Most of these kids are coming right from school, like my DD, who never even stops home, so I have learned to plan accordingly. DD generally eats two dinners in the car :) - one small one in the car after school on the way to gym (a bagel with cream cheese, cheese and crackers, pbj sandwich, pasta with protein, etc. and usually fruit) and one after (whatever the family had for dinner plus at least 8 oz of chocolate milk). She keeps a Clif bar or pretzels in her locker to take a few bites if she wants during practice, though it's rare that she even takes a bite during a workout.

It seems like the majority of the team on this schedule does the same (prob 40 optional gymnasts). The whole 'no snack' issue is not a big deal. DD does homework on the way to/from gym...she eats for 5-7 minutes first, or she is pretty good at eating with one hand and writing with the other. These girls are not losing weight or 'too thin' due to lack of food during workouts and they are not waifs. They are crazy strong.

For those of you who are just entering this realm of long practices over dinner time...I would say, planning does take time but for my DD, at least, it makes a huge difference in how she feels physically and mentally through a long practice. A good thermos does wonders for making last night's dinner left overs palatable to eat before gym practice in the car. There are days we just have to stop at the convenience store on the way to grab a banana, yogurt, and pretzels and as parents, we all do the best we can.

I asked my DD (7th gr) what specifically her gym coaches have ever said about food or nutrition, and she said the only thing that they have said is 'try not to eat junky food before practice...it won't get you through the workout' or 'give your body the right fuel it needs for what you're asking it to do'. I asked if they said specifically what they meant and she said 'no, but I am sure they mean don't stop at the fast food drive-thru before practice or Dunkin' donuts!'.

What is "junk" food then? Why is it junk and why isn't it the right fuel?

Bread, meat, potatoes. Big mac and fries. Why is that not going to fuel you through a workout? If the bread and burger are home made, with mashed potatoes, how does that fuel you differently?

What is "junk" food then? Why is it junk and why isn't it the right fuel?

Not the poster, but junk food to me these days are things that have chemicals/preservatives (hard to pronounce chemicals. additives and dyes in the ingredients). And empty calories, that would be candy, because there is no daily requirement for sugar. Your body doesn't need it, it makes it.

And we love our occasional fast food around here, MickeyDs, Taco Bell etc.... But really you can not possibly physically look at something like a McD burger vs a homemade and think they are same and provide the same nutrition.

Mac and Cheese, the blue box has a whole bunch of ingredients that are unpronounceable and unnecessary. Horizon a better choice, homemade better still.

Sugar... A Charms Blowpop (daughters current fav) is junk food. Apple pie, better, the apple by itself better still.

And fried vs not, again, we love our fries here, but frying not the optimal cooking choice.

And again, I get when you have a kid with eating issues, sometimes you gotta go with what works. You're on the run, you go with what works.

While all calories might be somewhat equal as fuel. Nutritionally all calories are not equal.

And I agree with all of that :)

But I still don't think it answers my question of why it doesn't fuel a workout.

It may have had all the vitamins a minerals processed out, and may have added chemicals, but once digested it still all breaks down to amino acids, fat, and sugars. All fuel the body in the same way.

Same as candy, it's glucose. Absorbed and used more quickly than if it were eaten as bread, but still glucose is what the brain and body uses as fuel. In many endurance sports jelly beans and haribo are the snack to take on a long session because of the instantly available glucose.

Chocolate (if that's what you mean by "candy") is different again. Fats, sugars, and some protein from the milk.

Again, not good as diet staples. But to say it fuels your body differently? Anyone got anything to back that up?

Again, not good as diet staples. But to say it fuels your body differently? Anyone got anything to back that up?

Nope, with you about calories as fuel, they pretty much all work.

Although depending on the length and intensity of a workout how quickly something is broken down to usable food impacts choices. A quick acting sugar, is not the best choice for a 3-4 hour workout.

Just thinking about my kid and school. For breakfast, some more easily digestable carbs to get her going with protein to kick in after the carbs are gone and get her to lunch. Same with workouts. I want her to have her things that will keep her going through her workout, not crash in the middle (therefore requiring more quick fuel)

I assume everybody here monitors and limits their kids' intake of dihydrogen monoxide, right? Gotta watch out for that dangerous chemical. It's made up of hydrogen (an extremely reactive chemical, and a key component of H-bombs) and oxygen (a combustive chemical found in ozone, a toxic gas found high in earth's upper-atmosphere; an excess of oxygen in the atmosphere is also suspected to have played a part in one of the greatest mass extinctions in our planet's history). Dihydrogen monoxide is a key component in many poisons, and is found in high amounts in the leaves of many toxic plants, including deadly nightshade, poison ivy, and cannabis. Despite all of this, dihydrogen monoxide is present in many foods, and the FDA doesn't even require warning labels on products that contain it.

Another chemical to watch out for is sodium chloride. This compound, composed of sodium (which explodes if it comes in contact with water) and chlorine (a chemical so dangerous that using it in combat is considered a war crime under international law). Like dihydrogen monoxide, it is frequently used in foods, and like dihydrogen monoxide, the FDA does not require warning labels on foods that have it.

Both dihydrogen monoxide and sodium chloride were found in very high concentrations in the Gulf of Mexico after the BP oil rig explosion a few years back.

I assume everybody here monitors and limits their kids' intake of dihydrogen monoxide, right?

You know food labeling wouldn't call it dihydrogen monoxide, they would call it water.

Now you are being facetious aka a bit tongue in cheek. Ha Ha.

And actually, you can even get too much water. And salt

To expand

Ingredients of the peanut butter I don't buy

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT

Ingredients of the one I do buy

Peanuts

Why does this feel like it is turning into a "I'm the best mommy in the world" contest?

Look you all, my precious snowflake bathes in the tears of Swedish virgins who eat only organic artisan salad greens. She sleeps on silk sheets spun by caterpillars who are housed in a Chinese palace surrounded by lush forests. Her food is locally grown and has only been touched with sterile cotton gloves worn by certified pickers. Her pediatrician arrives every morning in a carriage drawn by the finest steeds from Germany to draw her blood with sterile sterling silver needles which he checks for all appropriate nutrients using the most advanced science known to man.

So obviously I love my precious Polly the very most of all. :)

Why does this feel like it is turning into a "I'm the best mommy in the world" contest?
What?!? Where did you get that from?

Someone asked what makes certain foods "junk." I answered. There is no best mommy in the world gong on here. Did I say I don't ever feed my kids fast food, or oreos etc?

In fact, a lot of the thread has pointed out how our kids need a lot of calories and that the "junky" food is a quick way to get them. BUT, they are nutrient deficient, which makes them not the greatest thing, but everything in moderation, ykwim?

What?!? Where did you get that from?

Someone asked what makes certain foods "junk." I answered. There is no best mommy in the world gong on here. Did I say I don't ever feed my kids fast food, or oreos etc?

In fact, a lot of the thread has pointed out how our kids need a lot of calories and that the "junky" food is a quick way to get them. BUT, they are nutrient deficient, which makes them not the greatest thing, but everything in moderation, ykwim?

I hadn't even seen your post before the humor overtook me. I'm just poking fun at all of us.

Look you all, my precious snowflake bathes in the tears of Swedish virgins who eat only organic artisan salad greens. She sleeps on silk sheets spun by caterpillars who are housed in a Chinese palace surrounded by lush forests. Her food is locally grown and has only been touched with sterile cotton gloves worn by certified pickers. Her pediatrician arrives every morning in a carriage drawn by the finest steeds from Germany to draw her blood with sterile sterling silver needles which he checks for all appropriate nutrients using the most advanced science known to man.

So obviously I love my precious Polly the very most of all. :)

Yep ;) Nothing but planks of wood for mine to sleep on ;)

And back to topic.

I wonder what the correlation is to needing snacks vs the kind of foods a person eats in general. And this is not about any one in particular.

I wonder if someone who eats a more sustainable snack (as in providing energy over time) doesn't need a snack mid workout vs a more quick releasing type snack which then causes a need for additional fuel mid workout?

My guess is there are studies out there somewhere. And based on personal experience, I don't snack mid workouts (and prior to my kid 3-4 hour workouts at the gym were the norm) when I am working out, I make sure I make choices that will get me through my workout.

Again, just pondering.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back