OK Question on what type of vault is this???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am coaching a high school team and I have a girl who is doing a front handspring onto the board right into a front handspring onto the vault. It's looks really amazing but pretty sure it's not allowed. Does anyone know what this is called???

Thanks!

If its a fhs onto the board, then a front hs on w/ a front tucked salto its a Ilg- worth a 9.8 in JO. Not sure it would be allowed in Hs gymnastics as each state has different rules. I'm sure there is aplace where you can get the rules & allowable vaults & start values.

That's awesome! I've never heard of someone doing that before.

It's a real recent addition to the code. Never actually seen it competed, but I know it's allowed, at least in FIG and USAG. Dunno what your local highschool rules are.

I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed because it would be just like a round-off onto the board, but I don't know a single thing about high school gymnastics.

I have trained this myself but I have never seen anyone compete it.

Depending on your state, you will either use level 9 rules (there may be some minor modifications) or NHSF (National High School Federation) rules. If it's NHSF rules, I would inquire about whether it's allowed. Last year was the first year yurchenkos were allowed due to safety reasons. FHS onto the board is not a vault listed in the NHSF code of points so it may still be discouraged (or it may be so rare that it just wasn't added to the rules). A yurchenko vault has the same start value as the same non-yurchenko entry vault, so a FHS onto the board, FHS onto the horse would likely be worth the same as a handspring vault (8.6) if it were allowed.

Is there video of this vault somewhere? I'm having a hard time imagining what it would look like.

I think that vault sounds pretty cool and I would love to see it! My dd is new at competing high school and if she could do that, I'd like to see her throw one in just to shake things up! :slaphappy: Hey if they don't take it, then have her do something different for her second vault. My dd's coach told us not to be concerned about the first few meets of the season; it's the end of the season that really counts, so what the heck! What state are you in if you don't mind me asking? It's nice to hear from a high school gym coach here on the chaulk bucket!

Thanks so much for the help. The video of Tia comes close to the vault that my athlete is doing. It's really cool and to be quite honest, if she gets a 3 or gets voided I think it will be worth it :)

I coach in NY state so the rules are pretty harsh IMO. Oh well...I still love it :)

Thanks again!!

Look at it this way, (speaking as a proud gym-mom) even if it gets voided, it would make some great video footage! Besides, she'll get a second vault won't she?

Well, she did it!! When it was time to announce the type of vault to the judges (a stupid rule imo but thta's another topic) I was like.. ummm...well, she will do a fhs on the board and then....the judge just laughed and said she can
t wait to see it. all in all, my gymnast received an 8.2 for her second vault (fhs 1/1) so I'm psyched! They did void the first vault but it was soooooo worth t!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back