WAG Opinion question about summer coaching opportunities

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

fliptwisttwirl

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
This past year or so I have been making arrangements for what I want to do after I graduate high school as far as coaching goes. I am a 17 year old senior. I got certified in everything this summer to be on the floor at usag functions, became a jr. professional member and took my 4/5 judging test in September and judged this fall. I am planning on attending college in the fall of 2014 to major in exercise and wellness. I applied for the PCD program at IGC for next summer and am very anxious to find out if I made it in or not. This question is going on the assumption that I will make it in..after graduating on June 7th I would go to Pennsylvania (IGC) and be there from June 11th-August 23rd. I believe college for me starts on August 25th. So my question is that do y'all think it's worth it to miss the entire last summer with my family and in my hometown to do this? My parents aren't the most supportive about me wanting to coach as an adult and would rather me focus on being a mom and staying home with my family. Therefore..they also aren't thrilled that I want to spend my last summer before college in Pennsylvania coaching gymnastics and learning to coach. But they are not restricting me and would never tell me I couldn't go.
Coaching is definitely what I would like to do with my life and I think this would be a great way to get a lot of experience and learn a lot from the other coaches there.
Would love input from anybody. Thanks.

Do it. I worked for a cheer camp company the summer after my senior year (and the next 7 summers afterwards!), and it was a great experience. I grew up a great deal and entered college much more ready than many other people I met. Take this opportunity while you can! You're only young (with summers off) once!

would rather me focus on being a mom and staying home with my family.

Really? WTH. Are you to start popping them out after going off to college and meeting a guy to get your mom some grandbabies by 45?! Seriously.

I think going off to a gymnastics camp will be a better use of your time than staying around home, maybe working a crappy summer job and doing the same stuff you did last summer.

You're free! Time to get out in the world and live a little ( and not get killed in the meantime ).

At a summer camp you'll be able to network with others your age besides older coaches from other gyms.

Really? WTH. Are you to start popping them out after going off to college and meeting a guy to get your mom some grandbabies by 45?! Seriously.
That's what my mom did. Hard to break the cycle sometimes. I got big dreams as far as coaching goes and that's hard for them to understand. But I have a pretty strong personality and when I got my mind set on something I go get it. I'm excited and ready, it's just hard knowing that my parents don't share that excitement.

It never gets easier than it is now. Respectfully ignore your mother on this issue. Geez, it's not like you're doing something illegal, immoral, or unethical, and just when is your mother going to step in and help you carry, deliver, feed, clothe, and drive these kids to gym lessons......

If it's your's to do, then do it and don't regret it.

I agree with everyone. I would coach at the gymnastics camp. Sounds pretty exciting to me. I always told myself I would move to NY after high school to train dance. I didn't. I didn't even major in dance in college because I did not think it was lucrative. Then I was going to backpack through Europe right after college and move to NY. I didn't do either. Responsibilities got in the way and as I got older I started to be more conservative. Eventually, I did every activity I was curious about and wanted to do. I even went back to school to get my masters in dance. But I was in my late 20s by then. I would grab any and every opportunity because it may never come around again. Most regrets are about things we did not do when we had a chance.

Definitely coach at the gymnastics camp! I was all set to coach at woodward last summer but then I had to take summer classes and now pretty much every other summer is busy! Enjoy your last summer before college!

go for it! i knew i wanted to do this at 15. and i went to college. and i got married. and i raised a family and i...:)

You are a role model to other girls and gymnasts! I am encouraging my DD (15 right now) to take the 4/5 judging exam with me next summer so she can stay in the sport even once she quits. What a great part-time job for a high school or college student! And what an amazing opportunity to coach all summer, learn from others and build relationships that may serve you well in the future. You sound like a very driven and goal oriented young lady. Live your dreams. There is plenty of time to start a family.

Go! You only get one chance to be young. This a unique opportunity. You will meet all kinds of people, make new friends, and possibly make connections for later if this is what you want to do with your life. If you end up doing something non gymnastics related in the the future, then you will have all of these wonderful memories to look back on!

Something I told my daughter when she was a senior--go do the things now. If you don't take the opportunities now, you never will--and you will regret it. Have fun, work hard next summer and enjoy! I love that you have a goal and are working so hard towards it. Your parents should be proud :)

I tell my almost-17 yr old the same thing, seize every opportunity! Experience new things, travel. College will be hard, life will be harder, take time now to do the things you WANT to do!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back