[Meet] Optional Meet Schedules coming out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Wow, time has gone so fast, it feels like Nationals were last month and now we are getting the planned meets for next year. What are your gyms planning? For the most part we are staying consistent, two Nastia qualifiers, Kupets meet in Savannah. One interesting add is the Pikes Peak Cup. I would love to hear if folks have participated. My daughter was telling me its different in that there is a "qualifying" meet and then a Finals meet if you do well enough? Kinda different and fun format it sounds like.

Any other special meets that folks are excited for this upcoming season?

Wow, time has gone so fast, it feels like Nationals were last month and now we are getting the planned meets for next year. What are your gyms planning? For the most part we are staying consistent, two Nastia qualifiers, Kupets meet in Savannah. One interesting add is the Pikes Peak Cup. I would love to hear if folks have participated. My daughter was telling me its different in that there is a "qualifying" meet and then a Finals meet if you do well enough? Kinda different and fun format it sounds like.

Any other special meets that folks are excited for this upcoming season?
3 Nastia qualifiers of which we are not really excited about any of them, plus back to Nashville Nights and Kupets in Savannah also. Dd was pretty disappointed in the schedule. I'm not super excited about it, but only 2 that we will probably fly to which is nice.

Our gym went to Pikes Peak before my daughter was an optional. I heard the gymnasts loved it, but our coaches don't want to go back. I guess the altitude differences and lack of adjustment time caused less than optimal results. I heard it's really fun though.

3 Nastia qualifiers of which we are not really excited about any of them, plus back to Nashville Nights and Kupets in Savannah also. Dd was pretty disappointed in the schedule. I'm not super excited about it, but only 2 that we will probably fly to which is nice.

Our gym went to Pikes Peak before my daughter was an optional. I heard the gymnasts loved it, but our coaches don't want to go back. I guess the altitude differences and lack of adjustment time caused less than optimal results. I heard it's really fun though.
Always like the Kupets meet, mainly because I like Savannah. While I understand and appreciate the L10 graduating ceremony, it always drives me crazy going through all that after a late night competition.
We had a lot of negative experiences last year with Nastia Cup that has led us to question if it is starting to go through a transition. Maybe just olympic year? But those Nastia qualifier meets are not fun. Always hit the Orlando ones, Presidential or Magical, as they seem to switch back and forth.

Hate the Nashivlle Nights venue, love hitting downtown Nashville :)

Always like the Kupets meet, mainly because I like Savannah. While I understand and appreciate the L10 graduating ceremony, it always drives me crazy going through all that after a late night competition.
We had a lot of negative experiences last year with Nastia Cup that has led us to question if it is starting to go through a transition. Maybe just olympic year? But those Nastia qualifier meets are not fun. Always hit the Orlando ones, Presidential or Magical, as they seem to switch back and forth.

Hate the Nashivlle Nights venue, love hitting downtown Nashville :)
Yes , the senior award ceremony is way too long. I like the sentiment but no restaurants (that aren’t bars with age restrictions) are even open after it’s done.

We also always do the Orlando Nastia meet, so Presidential this year. I would rather be just about anywhere other than Orlando/Disney over Presidents’ Day weekend.

I don’t know much about the bad experiences with Nastia cup. My daughter isn’t really in the running, but we sent 2 gymnasts last year and they enjoyed it from what I’ve heard.

Nashville Nights is a meet I’d be quite happy if she never has to do it again, but I don’t think I’ll get that lucky.

We havent gotten our meet schedule but have a feeling it will look something like this.
November- Judges Cup
December- Home Meet
January- Localish meet
February- Buckeye, Rochester Classic
March- Tim Rand, another local, states

And then regionals and nationals.

We've also heard rumblings of Gasparilla, and bringing back Starstruck.

Nashville Nights is a meet I’d be quite happy if she never has to do it again, but I don’t think I’ll get that lucky.
Is there a reason you don't particularly like about this meet? It will be our first time going this season..

Is there a reason you don't particularly like about this meet? It will be our first time going this season..
I don't really enjoy being in that convention center and if we do that meet again we'll stay someplace else. Expensive and the food was pretty bad- and overpriced, the last time. The convention center isn't walking distance to anything, so you need to Uber if you want to see and do anything outside of the convention center. It's not a horrible meet, but I don't like the venue.

I don't really enjoy being in that convention center and if we do that meet again we'll stay someplace else. Expensive and the food was pretty bad- and overpriced, the last time. The convention center isn't walking distance to anything, so you need to Uber if you want to see and do anything outside of the convention center. It's not a horrible meet, but I don't like the venue.
So you recommend staying somewhere else? Do you not like the venue due to it not being around other stuff, or is the venue itself bad?

So you recommend staying somewhere else? Do you not like the venue due to it not being around other stuff, or is the venue itself bad?
The hotel is fine- rooms are pretty standard. The first time she did the meet it was a novelty, and we did the water park and the whole thing was fine. The second time was post-covid and the restaurants weren't great and they were short staffed. She was older and not interested in doing the water park again. I just felt cooped up being in the convention center for several days.

The venue for Nashville Nights is horrible. The two times we have been it has been very tiny and cramped. Its a long narrow building so they only have like 5 rows of chairs and everyone is standing/jockeying for position. Last year they were able to squeeze a tiny little bleacher on one corner. Depending upon if you're flight A or B you might vault towards the seats and the floor is by the seats but beam and bars are way in the back, ventilation is poor and if you're in the evening session there is a cloud of chalk dust floating through the venue. The Gaylord is like any other Gaylord, massive with the intent of making its size a spectacle itself (same in Orlando). I would probably stay downtown and then uber to venue, but then again sometimes DD wants to be around the rest of teammates. But ya, food is pricey and meh on the property.

This is minor and kind of silly, but Nashville Nights also gives out the worst, cheapest meet gifts. One year it was a scrunchie that fell apart immediately.

This is minor and kind of silly, but Nashville Nights also gives out the worst, cheapest meet gifts. One year it was a scrunchie that fell apart immediately.
Definitely agree! Last time we went were these awful hats. lol

I actually don't hate the meet as much as the others here, but I don't love it either. I like the Gaylord Opryland and my daughter still really enjoys the hotel. They have a lot of different food options and the prices are definitely high, but honestly about the same as other hotels we stay at for meets. Overpriced for sure though. I also like the walking distance to the mall that has a food court and shopping and all. The actual competition is nothing special. I think every time we've gone, we've been in a different meeting space. Once was outside in an external building. The other times were different meeting halls inside the main hotel. None of them were anything special. And yes, the meet gifts have always been bad.

To be honest, we've been to quite a few big name meets in the southeast (and a few outside of it) and I can't honestly say any of them have really impressed me. I do enjoy meets where we can stay at the venue though so we don't have to worry about driving/parking or ubering everywhere. So I do like Nashville Nights, because I can fly to the aiport, uber to the hotel and not have to worry after that. We've also been to downtown Nashville enough times that we don't necessarily feel the need to visit every time we go anymore.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back