WAG P&Gs 2017!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agreed Tim almost ruined the show for me. I hate that they insist on deciding who to show prior the the competition starting. Let us watch the girls in the top 7 or 8, not favorites.

Ragan must like this style of dance/choreography. I don't think age has anything to do with it's appropriateness. She's 17, let her do what she likes, yk? There are actual legit tap dance moves in her routine, which I appreciated. If it's going to be that style of choreography, at least it's taking from actual dance technique, in the same way ballet shows up in floor routine choreography.
I get what you're saying, but the gymnast really doesn't have much say over her choreography, so her moves are most likely from KZ, who makes her dance that way.

Tim daggett did say that, as my daughter is adopted also, I also cringed and wondered how that sounds to her
I was tired last night watching this, when he said that I became fully alert and outloud said "wtf! Did he really just say that!?"

I'm still rattled by it. Can't imagine how it made her and her parents feel.

Ladies....I may be a lot older than you but the reason Ragan's style is cutesy on the floor is because that was the same style of her coach Kim Z. I grew up watching her routines. Google the 1992 Olympics and you will see the correlation. She did "Rock around the House Tonight" and it was a routine that people enjoyed watching and in my opinion helped shape America's love for women's gymnastics.

Yeah, seriously, can we get someone to sit down with our national commentators and do a Sociology of the Family 101 lecture with them? These dudes are making me cringe more than an entire beam rotation's worth of wolf turns!
Yes! I like hearing interesting personal tidbits about the athletes (coached by parents, first year elite, raises orphaned goats, whatever) and I think most viewers do, but there is a difference between fun facts and downright inappropriate and insensitive.

Ladies....I may be a lot older than you but the reason Ragan's style is cutesy on the floor is because that was the same style of her coach Kim Z. I grew up watching her routines. Google the 1992 Olympics and you will see the correlation. She did "Rock around the House Tonight" and it was a routine that people enjoyed watching and in my opinion helped shape America's love for women's gymnastics.
But why can't cutesy be just cute? Her routine now is awkwardly cute.
I would much more prefer that style of cute

During the junior comp on friday (youtube live stream) I heard the commentator mention that we'll be seeing a lot of really low-difficulty landings on bars because of lowered scores or something? Can someone more knowledgeable elaborate what she meant? Like do they not reward big skilled landings more points anymore?

During the junior comp on friday (youtube live stream) I heard the commentator mention that we'll be seeing a lot of really low-difficulty landings on bars because of lowered scores or something? Can someone more knowledgeable elaborate what she meant? Like do they not reward big skilled landings more points anymore?
They did a really bad job of explaining that in the broadcast. There used to be a requirement that dismounts be a D or higher, you could do a lower level dismount but it would be reflected in your D score. They have removed that requirement, so now D scores- if all requirements are met- start off lower which ultimately results in a lower overall score across the board.

I think they may have been talking about the fact that you no longer need to dismount with a D element....it can technically even be an A or a B skill. Example: Gabby Perea won bars at the Classic with a layout flyaway dismount.

Riley McCusker's floor is lovely, except her wrists! The dance and music are so nicely done but the bent wrists just aren't pretty... Anyone else agree?

and does anybody know why Alyona Shchennikova was the only one to wear the same leo for Classic and P&Gs? Do elites always wear different leos?

Agree about the wrists...it's very distracting. And yes, elites usually wear different leotards to the big competitions. Speaking of leos, Ragan's yay or nay?? I give her creativity points but I wasn't a fan of the blousy top.

I don't find Ragan's new routine cutesy. I feel the routine is meant to be more of a "risque" style with the whistles and hand shakes, booty shakes. I just don't think she pulls that off very well because that style doesn't fit her. I see it all the time in competitions where you can tell the gymnast feels uncomfortable with the style and it never looks right but another gymnast could easily pull off the same routine

I think they may have been talking about the fact that you no longer need to dismount with a D element....it can technically even be an A or a B skill. Example: Gabby Perea won bars at the Classic with a layout flyaway dismount.
When I saw her routine on Friday, I thought it was odd that she had just a layout. I figured something went wrong as she didn't look happy at the end of the routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back