Pac Rims -- womens

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The real issue to get upset over is Aly beating Laurie. That is a judging issue however.
This is just out of curiosity -- on what event(s) do you think was Aly overscored or Laurie underscored? I am not trained enough to really be able to say one way or another. In my eyes, Aly's vault seemed like it should have scored higher with the SV difference and her floor definitely looked better to me (I never like Aly's jumps but she has higher difficulty and the tumbling seemed solid). DD thought that Laurie may have been underscored on bars -- is that where you see the errors? Or should her beam have been higher?

This is just out of curiosity -- on what event(s) do you think was Aly overscored or Laurie underscored? I am not trained enough to really be able to say one way or another. In my eyes, Aly's vault seemed like it should have scored higher with the SV difference and her floor definitely looked better to me (I never like Aly's jumps but she has higher difficulty and the tumbling seemed solid). DD thought that Laurie may have been underscored on bars -- is that where you see the errors? Or should her beam have been higher?

Internationally Aly does not score well. We saw it at worlds and at Jesolo. Her leaps are very poor and she just does not look as polished, she does have massive tumbling skills, but those skills do not outweigh her form issues. Aly has been consistently over scored in US meets, but we are talking the Olympics now.

My guess is Laurie and Simone are sitting out team finals because the PTB want to see the others compete some more, not really to rest them.

Internationally Aly does not score well. We saw it at worlds and at Jesolo. Her leaps are very poor and she just does not look as polished, she does have massive tumbling skills, but those skills do not outweigh her form issues. Aly has been consistently over scored in US meets, but we are talking the Olympics now.

My guess is Laurie and Simone are sitting out team finals because the PTB want to see the others compete some more, not really to rest them.
I actually agree, and was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to voice it, because I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff, and didn't feel like putting it out there...

Laurie has better form but she doesn't have an amanar right now and her bars had some issues. I think it's foreseeable she can beat Aly but it's not a sure thing. Like it or not it comes down to difficulty. She would have to do a little better on bars and beam to pull it off and I personally think it wasn't just underscoring. Aly beat her by a tenth in AA but had at least five tenths more difficulty (probably a little more, maybe 6 or 7). All things equal Laurie would win by that margin but she didnt throw an amanar. She is an amazing gymnast but there's not a whole lot in place to reward that.

Aly is an incredible athlete too of course, just very different from Laurie.

Also everyone knows the rules ahead of time of course, but that doesn't mean we can't think it's dumb to award a bronze medal to someone in 6th place in an all around competition where everyone was allowed to compete. That's just silly. I'm not going to lose much sleep over it but there has to be a better way than some of this maneuvering.

I totally get the artistic issues with Aly, but the World did some how deem her worthy of floor gold at the last Olympics. As Gymdog said, difficulty is rewarded in the current system. Would love to see it all come together for Laurie - her gymnastics is great to watch.

Also everyone knows the rules ahead of time of course, but that doesn't mean we can't think it's dumb to award a bronze medal to someone in 6th place in an all around competition where everyone was allowed to compete. That's just silly. I'm not going to lose much sleep over it but there has to be a better way than some of this maneuvering.

Thank you. I agree.

I totally get the artistic issues with Aly, but the World did some how deem her worthy of floor gold at the last Olympics. As Gymdog said, difficulty is rewarded in the current system. Would love to see it all come together for Laurie - her gymnastics is great to watch.

Aly has been a very successful international elite, both for team USA and individually. Like her or not, she's very competitive. She's in amazing shape and physically and mentally is an incredible athlete. I am in awe of her and how she has pursued this dream. Doesn't have the cleanest lines, but how many people have ever done a 1 1/2 through to Arabian double front PUNCH LAYOUT. Laurie of course has better form - I'm sure Aly herself would agree - and is also a fierce competitor. I love to watch Laurie. But Aly does have other advantages. It is very close depending on the day. Aly won by one tenth which with scores in the 15s is an even smaller margin. That's not the best bars or beam I've seen Laurie do so could she have had it, yes. But it's not a sure thing because Aly has the higher difficulty to make up for what she loses in execution.

Interesting...

Apparently the order was
Simone, Aly, Laurie, Brenna, Regan, the the Japanese gymnast. I am assuming that they only allow 2 per country in the top 3 all around. USA took the top 5...
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Results/w_16pacrim_wsraa.pdf

I was there. The worst thing was when they did the medals ceremony for the Junior AA. They announced the name of the actual 3rd place winner initially (Soyoka Hanawa), and then had to correct and announce Louise Lopez. I felt terrible for Lopez.

I was there. The worst thing was when they did the medals ceremony for the Junior AA. They announced the name of the actual 3rd place winner initially (Soyoka Hanawa), and then had to correct and announce Louise Lopez. I felt terrible for Lopez.
Agreed that was a very awkward moment. She was a good sport

Ah! So that's what happened! I saw them announce the wrong name but didn't realize it was the name of the actual 3rd place finisher. How uncomfortable. She did handle it well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back