Piercings ; Any deductions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I want to get my nose pierced. its only going to be a stud. I was wondering if it would be a problem in USAG sanctioned meets? Would i have to take it out for those meets? Thanks in advance!

Yes, it would be a deduction. You are allowed one pierced earring in each ear-that is all. I think its a flat .10 or .20 of your AA?? Judges can chime in here-I have never seen it happen bc the coaches would make the gymnast take out anything that would cause a deduction.

that would be a safety issue and would not be allowed at all. the meet director would remove the athlete from competition if the athlete did not comply with the removal of said piercing.

and now i have a question for the poster. don't you have anything better to do with your time and money? geesh...

One ering per ear with just studs is all that is allowed. I know our coaches make you remove anything that they think will cause a deduction. they have their "emergency bag" usually its the nail polish remover that is needed.

A nose piercing??? for real?? I'm with Dunno don't you have something better to spend your money on.

Yes there is a deduction, Dunno and Cher, as much as i agree with you its not really up to us if she has made the decision then thats up to her but i have to say i do agree with them

There is a little part of me that wants you to do it, just be all obstinate and stuff. I'm a very obstinate person. Obviously if it's larger than a stud, you'd have to take it out for safety reasons, but if it's just a stud I don't see why you can't practice with it. Comes out for meets, though, just like nail polish and more than one piercing per ear (many of the younger girls on my team have several ear piercings; it must be in fashion). Lots of older teenagers and college-age girls have studs, and though it isn't the look for everybody I'm sure some gymnasts would want one. I personally would hate having one but I do see lots of people who have them and don't look terrible.

Just a warning to you, a teammate of mine who had had her nose pierced for about three months took it out for a meet and it completely closed up and she couldn't get it back in. I don't know it that is the case for everyone, but I would just be careful of that

Just a warning to you, a teammate of mine who had had her nose pierced for about three months took it out for a meet and it completely closed up and she couldn't get it back in. I don't know it that is the case for everyone, but I would just be careful of that

One of my DD's friends (yes, she is 11...her mom let her!!) had her nose pierced and she took it out for a VERY short time and could not get it back in also! Probably best though, an 11 year old should not have her nose pierced anyway IMO.

My DD has hear ears pierced and other piercings she will have to wait until she is 18yo and can sign the consent form her self - same goes for tattoos!

A friend's 14-year-old daughter is considering having this done. When she asked me what I thought, the first thing I did was to google it... how fast does it heal, does it leave a lasting scar, etc. And I heard that this is the case... it closes up VERY quickly, leaving little to no noticable scar, which is good if you decide you don't like it, but not so good if you need to take it out for gym meets.

I actually like the way it looks and is something I would consider letting my kids do if either of them made a compelling argument for it (because of the reasons listed above) but it doesn't sound like the best choice as long as you're a competing gymnast.

Personally I don't care if you get a nose piercing, as far as non-ear piercings go that is a pretty easy one. I don't think ANY piercings are safe in gymnastics, including ears, and I discourage all of them. Unless you have the plastic backings that snap completely over the earring on the other side. Those are the probably the safest. If it were my own child I would request they maintain no piercings as long as they participate in gymnastics. I just don't like the idea at all. I now have pierced ears (as an adult) but I never wear earrings anymore, especially not when I do gymnastics.

I have met/known several girls with their belly buttons pierced through gymnastics. Now that one REALLY scares me. In NCAA I've seen a couple white leos where you could see through to where the belly button piercing was covered with athletic tape (hint to those buying leos - that means it was a bad choice). Compared to a belly button piercing while doing gymnastics, a nose ring looks fabulous.

But just wait until you stop gymnastics.

I think a well done piercing can be cute--but dangerous. can you imagine getting it stuck on your leo sleeve? Running nose first into the bars? Getting it stuck in the trampoline (OHGODDON'TDOIT)? Major carnage.

Do they still make those magnetic ones? They're not comfortable, but you can take them off.

Similar story to others but my teammate had her nose pierced for close to a year and took it out for the few hours for a meet and couldn't get it back in. So if you plan on competing, don't get it pierced!

Livelifetumble, as some posters have said, a nose piercing can be cute. I would try to discourage my kids from getting any more than their ears pierced, but that is because i am probably older and of a different generation and/or just plain conservative. I try not to pass judgment on people who get multiple piercings because my younger sister, over 10 years my junior, has probably 4 tatooes, had a nose and tongue piercing. She not only has an Ivy League business degree, she is my most uccessful sibling, and I have 5.

But I wnt to tell you a rather funny story that may help you somewhat. There was a new girl in this bagel store I frequent. The first time she helped me, I noticed a booger hsnging down her nose. I was pretty disgusted because I did mot want someone with a booger helping me. But I was cordial and just hoped the booger would not fall on my bagels. I could not look at her. The next time I came in, when she came towards me, I thought there is no way, she would have a booger again. But she stinkin did! I was thinking, once could be a fluke but a second time? I felt like handing her a tissue. The following week I came in, I hoped and prayed I 'd get a different server. God thought my prayer was stupid so she was my server again. This time, I happen to be wearing my glasses. I saw something hanging down again. But I got more gutsy by trying to look closer. She had a little (i mean microscopic little) diamond stud on her nose! The thing I saw hanging down was not a booger but the post of her earings. I don't know much about nose piercings, but I've seen some are positioned better than others. Aldo, I remember my sister always had stuff stuck to the post of her nose ring. But I could tell her to clean it out. She no longer has that piercing. From the posters above, soynds like this piercing closes up witout scaring. So there could be no harm done if you try it, except you might need to keep getting it pierced. Goodluck.

Well thank you everyone who replied! I really do want to get it as alot of girls at my school have it and its does look really cute..in my opinion anyway! I was going to get it, but was really on the line if it was a deduction and what not. Since if i were to take it out it seems chances are it will close up... Looks like that will kind of be a waste of money plus i don't think my coach will appericate it all that much anyway! Like i said, thank you guys <3

Why not ask your coach? Ask if there is a deduction and if you could wear it to practice or not. The piercings generally run about $35-$50 and it is a huge waste if you just have to take it out because as many have said they often can close up in a matter of a couple of hours then you are out the money.

A girl on my nieces team went out and got her nose pierced, the coach was furious and would not let her on any equipment until she took it out. She is a very rare person as she was able to take it out and put it back in after each practice but it always hurt her and after a year it still isn't healed according to my niece. I just am not sure it would be worth it.

Well thank you everyone who replied! I really do want to get it as alot of girls at my school have it and its does look really cute..in my opinion anyway! I was going to get it, but was really on the line if it was a deduction and what not. Since if i were to take it out it seems chances are it will close up... Looks like that will kind of be a waste of money plus i don't think my coach will appericate it all that much anyway! Like i said, thank you guys <3

Be your own person. Don't get things just because alot of girls at your school have it - if you end up getting it at some time get it because it is something you really want to get not because its the current trend at school

I'm with kflipz get a new leo instead or put it away in the bank towards a new car fund.

hopefully, no one at the school decides to start a trend and do back flips off the science building on to the football field...:)

I agree, these days everyone seems to be copying everyone and we are all becoming minions of each other, I'm not going to play the whole I'm the only teenager that doesn't follow to crowd because I do to some extent but if i hate the idea of it im not going to go get a piercing to follow the crowd.

Just another thing there is a girl in our gym with cartilage ear piercing, i think 3 ear lobe piercings on each (or maybe 2 on each) and belly button and as far as i know she hasn't had any problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back