Pit Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
How necessary is it to have a pit at a facility with competitive gymnasts? My dd is beginning optional this winter, and I am having increased anxiety about the safety of learning optional skills without a pit, in addition to the wear and tear on joints when performing skills over and over on the same hard surface.

I know this question has been discussed many times, but I'm curious. At what level, if any, do you feel it is essential to have a pit?

Yes, this issue has been discussed many times here. You might want to search back on old threads. We also don't have a pit, so I feel your pain. People coming from gyms with pits will say they are essential. Those without pits will say they make it work (for the most part).

I am not a coach but a gym Mom just like you. Honestly I think I would have to find a Gym where there is a pit. However before you jump talk to the HC/Owner and find out their stratgities and plans. I would hate to see you leave and then they upgrade. I think they need to hear your concerns, that way if you do feel you need to leave later they may not be as upset.

We don't have one and the HC doesn't seem to think much of them. There are several harnesses that are used for bar skills and tumbling skills. The tumbling skills are often developed on the TumblTrak with crash mats and on the big tramp in the harness before moving to floor. Bar skills are often done in the harness. I've watched the optionals working towards various skills I would (in my totally inexperienced mind) think you'd want a pit for and they have some clever ways of building up to them without a pit.

Sometimes I wonder whether the HC doesn't care for them because he doesn't have them.

In my opinion, block pits are not essential as long as there are things for the girls to land on such as resi pits or other big squishy mats.
As long as the coaches are qualified and can spot the girls properly, I wouldn't switch gyms unless there are other issues.

sometimes it is a matter of the physical space at the gym, and as much as the owner might want to add one, they can't. At my DD's gym, the club owner rents the space and I don't think he has the flexibility to install one...although I heard he used to have an above ground one that he has since removed, since it wasn't very practical!

in the big picture, it is better to have one than not.

I dont think that it is absolutely essential but helpful. Learned giants, flyway layout full, back layout 1 1/2 on floor, front layout full, front layout front tuck and lots more without a pit. Where I am stuck now is flipping tsuks. but at my gym my coach is arranging for me to go to another club to do them into a pit for my first ones. Coaches at gyms without pits should be able to teach skills without it. I think that if a coach can coach skills without a pit it can make them a better coach even if a pit came in handy.
In other words, if you and your DD are comfortable at your current gym, you should stay for a while. If it becomes an issue then deal with it. I have successfully learned L7-9 skills (canada p4) without one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back