planking while learning giants? huh? help explain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, dd (10yrs, platinum level (L6-7 equiv)) tells me the other night that while trying her giants with a spot, she is "planking" over the bar. I have no idea what this means so she tries to explain it by saying

"well, it is sort of like doing my baby giant. I don't mean to do this but as I am going up, I just automatically bend my body like a baby giant".

OK. first, I thought planking meant keeping you body straight as a board so I'm not understanding that reference as she is using it and wondering if I'm missing something or if she is using the wrong term.

Second: I know this is a wide open question not having a video to see but : what is she likely doing wrong that she is not rising up to a handstand to complete the giant?

She does nice giants on the strap bar - tight, good form. But I know she is scared of the regripping on regular bars. She has a clean clear hip that hits horizontal consistently and sometimes upwards of 3/4 but not typically. Baby giants are clean and fluid.

She has more than a year before she needs to compete with giants (L7) and she will do them with full coach spot (bringing her legs up). I think it is more a fear issue of losing her grip.

My gymnasts told me about this...here it is...:)

[video=youtube;tRHnTFesv7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHnTFesv7c[/video]

Really though...I have no idea.

I'm assuming from the way it's described by gymgal that the 3/4 giant isn't being modeled on purpose as a means of progression, but that the goal is to do the actual giant to handstand.

OK. first, I thought planking meant keeping you body straight as a board so I'm not understanding that reference as she is using it and wondering if I'm missing something or if she is using the wrong term.

She probably means "planching" in the shoulders (which shouldn't really happen in 3/4 giants either).

Second: I know this is a wide open question not having a video to see but : what is she likely doing wrong that she is not rising up to a handstand to complete the giant?
Quality of the tap aside, I'd guess that it's putting insufficient amount of pressure against the bar on the way up, to open the shoulders.

It goes back to the kind of arm-push needed in straight-arm back extension rolls.

She does nice giants on the strap bar - tight, good form. But I know she is scared of the regripping on regular bars.

Straps is a great place to learn giants; but the one thing that is lost to many gymnasts in transitioning strap bar giants to the regular rail is the wrist shift. She just needs to relate it back to how wrist shifts are necessary in back hip circles and clear hips, as well as in her baby giants- all of which she already does.

One thing to consider is doing straps with nylon gloves as opposed to the pvc pipe commonly used for straps. You have to wrist shift to make it over.

She has more than a year before she needs to compete with giants (L7) and she will do them with full coach spot (bringing her legs up). I think it is more a fear issue of losing her grip.
I think you both just need to be patient and give it time. She will get them. :)

LOL Plankin'..... Here are some of dd:

mat plankin.jpg

beam plankin.jpg

These were taken in the summer when the Planking craze was at it's height. Another good example of useful and creative ways to use gym equipment!!!!

I'm assuming from the way it's described by gymgal that the 3/4 giant isn't being modeled on purpose as a means of progression, but that the goal is to do the actual giant to handstand.

She probably means "planching" in the shoulders (which shouldn't really happen in 3/4 giants either).

Oops... that was my goof up - now that I have heard the right word, I realize I was wrong. She said planching. OK. Thanks - you have helped me to understand much better. I am not looking to fix anything. Couldn't even if I wanted to - I'm leaving that to the coaches. I just needed to understand it for myself. She mentioned a couple weeks ago that the coaches have some of the girls working with the gloves on the strap bar. I think she said she tried it once but got really scared - something about getting close to vertical or actual vertical and not shifting and then just flopped over. I'm not sure. What ever it was, it scared her enough that she didn't try it again and she really hasn't mentioned it since. I'm not even sure she was done it again.

anyway, thanks for the explanation. I can now visualize sort of what is happening and why. That's what I needed.

teehee, sorry must admit I thought exactly the same as JBS and Mdgymmom! I was like, WOW she can plank on the bar!! lol

Sounds like she just isn't hitting vertical in her giants. Sometimes these are called "overlo's" by Dan Wittenstein out of Arizona in Region1.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back