Please answer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ugh. Snotty is just not ok.

Pushing you isn't abusive. In most sports, if you screw up or don't do things right or slack off, your team loses.

In gymnastics, you screw up, you get very hurt.

Strict beats the everliving snot out of negligent.

I also agree with aerialriver. One of my coach's is really, really nice. She is very patient with me, and puts up with all my random fear issues. The other coach, however, is really strict. She is move of the "hurry up and get it done" type coach. If it doesn't look good or you fall, she gets upset (unless you just learned the skill).

If your coach is abusive, that is probably not good. It depends on what your coach does. I have seen coach's push kids off the beam and sling them around, and stuff. But it is your choice. If your coach is helping your gymnastics in a great way and you aren't upset or anything with his/her behavior, that is probably just fine. But if your coach upsets you and you feel like you never get anything accomplished because of his/her attitude, maybe you should consider switching gyms.

Words such as mean and abusive cause my mommy radar to go off. Shortly after Flipper switched gyms, she came home one day and announced that her new coaches are mean. Upon further questioning, we discovered that strict would be a better definition. When pressed as to why she thinks they push and are demanding she admitted that it is so that she will be safe, improve and reach her potential.

If your coaches are abusive, not just demanding or strict, you need to get out.

Ok, sorry about the misunderstanding.but when you mix someone with a short attention span(me) with someone with a VERY short temper(her) things start to get really ugly, verbal (name calling lol) and light slaps or pushing. The funny thing is is that she is a teacher, teaches my grade, just not my class, luckily! But she is a very talented coach and sometimes can be very funny, it just depends what mood she is in, bbut I am getting very far with her, including the ontario winter games!!! But you know, I was just mad at her, so you know, I 'remembered big' (exaggerated) and she really isn't all that bad, it's just that I am a complete clutz, it is so bad that she says that its a wonder that I am still alive! lol !

If your coach is abusive, that is probably not good. It depends on what your coach does. I have seen coach's push kids off the beam and sling them around, and stuff. But it is your choice. If your coach is helping your gymnastics in a great way and you aren't upset or anything with his/her behavior, that is probably just fine. But if your coach upsets you and you feel like you never get anything accomplished because of his/her attitude, maybe you should consider switching gyms.

If a coach is abusive, that's never good or okay. And I have had coaches who toed the line. At the time they paint the picture so it's everyone else who is the problem...I'm an adult and a coach now and I know better now. Taking advantage of kids and playing things off like that is truly unacceptable behavior. If you've never been on the receiving end of this kind of mind games and nastiness it may be easy to brush off this topic.

If there is every ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable or afraid in a "bad" way (not of a skill, of how you're being treated), then it's not okay. And this is EXACTLY why I would never allow a child I was in charge of into a gym that wouldn't let people observe. I have seen people whose "ends justify the means" tactics and complexes I don't care for.

I am a big proponent of "intentions don't erase how the other person feels." And if I ever have a child who is hurt or scared of something, I want to know so I can apologize, we can discuss the problem, and move on. If my actions are causing that stress this is unacceptable to me. So many young gymnasts learn to live with this daily stress and discomfort outside the gym and that's one thing I try to be very aware of as a coach, perhaps due to my own fairly serious psychological problems. We have these girls ages 10-13...sometimes I don't think we appreciate exactly what kind of stakes we're dealing with here. This is turning into a rant that's going off topic, but for all people who deal with young girls I would recommend reading Reviving Ophelia...I'm not saying I agree with everything in this book but I think there is a lot to be taken away from it.

I'm a big proponent of gymnastics. But I don't think it's so easy to dismiss some of these issues. And I think that "your coach is probably right because otherwise you'll get hurt" is kind of an unfair dichotomy. There are a lot of ways to prevent injuries that don't necessitate meanness. I guess I get frustrated with that line of thought because I definitely have met coaches who think that that yelling and ranting is a replacement for good basics and good work.

My coaches are strict and abusive I mean telling a gymnast they are fat and have big legs and a large butt isnt very nice at all. Also, hitting and forcing kids to get up on the beam and throwing them back to perform the skill is abuse. I wittnessed this on a daily basis. This is not right at all. Good luck with your gymnastics and your coaches just think there are other gymnast out there with worser coaches than you have.

Abusive language, force, hitting and throwing are actions that should not be tolerated in ANY situation - gymnastics or otherwise. Are your parents aware these things are going on? Are the gym owners aware the kids are being treated in this fashion? Anyone who resorts to these tactics should not be a coach or in any position of authority.

Most coaches are great at the balancing act that is required on a daily basis to help gymnasts reach their potential - that fine line of motivating/coercing the best out of the athlete without pushing too hard. It is a shame that a few sully the reputation of the vast majority.

My coaches are strict and abusive I mean telling a gymnast they are fat and have big legs and a large butt isnt very nice at all. Also, hitting and forcing kids to get up on the beam and throwing them back to perform the skill is abuse. I wittnessed this on a daily basis. This is not right at all. Good luck with your gymnastics and your coaches just think there are other gymnast out there with worser coaches than you have.

Please make your parents aware of this immediately.

Thanks for the concern. My parents are very aware. They support my decision to still do competative gymnastics as a level 9. I love gymnastics, more than I hate the enviorment I train in. This is the only gym within 5 or 6 hours of where we live unfortunently. Again thanks for the concern.

listen, there is nothing that you have stated here that is just short of criminal. it's almost unbelievable.

maybe when they tell you that you are fat, you respond with "thank you, you have a fat head".

when they tell you that you have big legs, you respond with "thank you, you have a small brain".

when they tell you that you have a large butt, you respond with "thank you, and yours appears to be the size of a rhino".

always respond with thank you. you want to precede anything you say with respect. which is less than how you are being treated.

finally, if they lay their hands on you. BITE THEM! AND WHEREVER YOU CAN SINK YOUR TEETH! then calmly call your parents to come pick you up.

or, call 1-317-237-5050. ask for kathy kelly. she is the USAG womens program director. i promise she will do something about their behavior.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back