Post surgery update!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
Seven weeks since surgery!I feel like I'm doing well and I can feel improvement each and every PT appointment although my therapist isn't exactly thrilled with my progress, But the surgeon was pretty happy.The pool therapy is definitely helping.I missed the first two weeks of the last trimester and the first few days out of surgery were not fun. I was out of school for two weeks and then I was in a giant full leg immobilizer and crutches. After another two weeks I was just walking around in the bulky immobilizer at school and nothing at home. And this Tuesday I got the okay to go without it! I'm having a bit of trouble with a limp but that is almost gone. I've gone back to the gym to work on conditioning a few times a week and man, what a month and a half does to you!I've lost around five pounds which is I think is mostly muscle loss! Thank you for all the healing fairies that have been sent my way and hope you are all doing well! I also included a pic of my knee(My scar looks really good compared to other peoples that I have seen so I guess I'm lucky!And the swelling isnt exactly gone but it looks better then the baseball that use to be there:))
DSCN3867.jpg

Ditto the bog post. It seems like the amount of time off during a recovery time is just enough to lose muscle mass and strength through all parts of your body. Be carefull, you may feel ready sooner than you really are. Try to give yourself an extra two weeks, and then work up full speed very gradually. Perfect some of the "little" things while you take the extra time.

I don't want to forecast doom and gloom, but only hope you'll take a moment to consider the amount of time your body spent building strength and learning how to cope with the forces put upon it by thr skills you've learned over the years. It was able to gradually acclimate to those impacts, sudden demands for burst of muscular energy, and instantaneous stretches. Do not expect all your body parts to resume this festival of stress at a moments notice. You have physical therapist who think they've explained this to you already, and I hope you get that I'm caring about you when I say this, but weren't you thinking as you listened to the P.T. something like.....Yeah, but he/she doesn't realize just how amazing a gymnasts physical strength are, I'm so much stronger than the basketball, volleyball, and swim team athletes they're used to seeing..........

Be carefull, you have enough skill and knowledge to create more impact forces than most people can imagine.

Listen to your doc and PT---they will be the best guide of when you're ready to increase activity. Sounds like your doing really well!

Thanks for all the kind words!I am definitely taking it slowly and carefully as I have heard the horror stories and I really want to be able to return.I'm only doing the conditioning I feels safe doing so it's mainly v-ups and push-ups (stationary stuff), and the PT said he thought it would be okay if I went to stretch as well.Part of the two or so hours I'm there a week is also me just sitting around and watching my team because I've been missing them too:)

Take it easy until your fully healed. If you can, keep moving! You could condition other parts of your body, such as upper body.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back